BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Bat Rep 1850pts My New Tyranids vs Chaos Deamons with CSM.

My list:

2 Dakka Flyrants with 2 TL devs: 230pts each

X20 Hormagaunts with toxin sacs-160pts
    X20 Hormagaunts with toxin sacs-160pts
    X30 Termagants-120pts
    X30 Termagants-120pts
    X3 Zoanthropes-150pts
    X2 Zoanthropes-100pts
    X3Lictors-150pts
    X2 Crones-155pts each
    X20 Gargoyles-120pts

My opponent:
    Dont know the points just know what he had.

Kairos.
    Deamon Prince of tzeentch
    Deamon prince of CSM with Black Mace.
    10nurgle marines
    X2 units of 5 basic CSM
    X3 Helldrakes

We played using ETC RULES like a tournament practice match and deployment was spearhead with big guns never tire and 5 objectives So he deployed 1st even tho he didnt have much to deploy.I put everything on the table and filled up my quarter of the tablea and left only the lictors to deep strike with as i didnt want the crones to come out one by one since its on a 3+.

I Was then lucky to seize the initiative moved the hormagaunts up the field, got a 4 on both the runs so moved a total of 11" first turn!! (6+4+3 bounding leap) spread out and covered abit more than half the table. My warlord got the warlord trait where he gains +6"synapse and also used dominion so had a 24"synapse bubble (synapse is really important, so that primaris is a well greeted gift) also got catalyst on the other flyrant so I catsed it on both flyrants with fnp and thezoans warp blasts were out of range so I casted dominion on 1 and catalyst on the other (those were randomly picked as per the rules FYI). Flyrants moved up in the middle with crones by each side. Flyrants both shot at the deamon prince with the black mace (only 1 in range+ that mace is horrifying fr anything) gave him 3 wounds but he had 5 from a gift of deamons.endof 1st turn.

OPponent turn 1:

Black mace deamon glided in front of 1 flyrant, other gave grimoire to kairos. Deamon of tzeentch fired something at flyrant cant remember what, gave him awound, grounding test, failed. 2 wounds on flyrant. Kairos shot flickering fire with 2 warp charges on a crone (wudve been 4d6 strength 5 hits at bs 2) but I DTW on a 6. BlackMace prince charged the flyrant, raped it flyrant and crone within 6 of mace had toughness test, passed.

My turn 2:lictors came out in a ruin between nurgle marines and black mace prince. 1 unit hormagaunts circled bladk mace deamon and close to flying deamon with the GoTR to charge both. 1 crone vectorstriked black mace deamon other crone vector striked kairos flyrant came between nurgle marines and deamonwith GoTR.black mace deamon died from vector strike, kairos got 2 wounds but saved 1, flyrant shot at GoTR deamon and killed it outright. Gaunts took 2 objectives and other hormies took the other on otherside waiting fr CSM to come from reserves.

Opponent turn 2:
    Helldrakesall came out and also the CSM. 2 turkeys vector striked flyrant and killed it, the other vector striked a crone and gave it 2 wounds. Csm units shot and illed 6 hormagaunts.kairos tried flickering fire (4d6 bs5 s5) on crone yet I DTW again on a 6

My turn 3:
    Lictors moved for nurgle marines near objective and killed them outright. 1 crone vector striked kairos givin 4 wounds, he saved them all through invul saves. Other crone vector striked a helldrake got 3 hits and 2 penetrating and got a 6 and destroyed it. Then I shot 1 tentaclid each on another helldrake and took 2 hullpoints.

Opponent turn 3:
    This is where everything turned south, kairos is just too good, we can compete with helldrakes even 2 vs 3 but kairos with skyfire, JESUS!!!.
    Kairos casted on full wound crone flickering fire, I cudnt DTW finally lol and he raped it, the other got vector striked by 2 hell drakes and killed it.the rest was a story of how gargoykes killed a unit of 5 CSM then the other unit charged them and made them flee, they survived, the other unit of CSM then got charged by 8 hormagaunts killed 4 from overwatch and basically had 2 CSM left and took an objective. With 3 and zoans trying to hit 2 helldrakesand kairos on 6 there wasnt much I cud do, he simply vector striked and flame templated and flickering fired most gaunts, but he won because kairos casted misfortune on 1 unitnof zoans each turn, making them re roll saves, they wudve survived without it but hekilled both, no synapse left, gaunts ran and I lost.

Overall id say I did best I could with what I knew abt the army, not really much u can do vs kairos when our -3 Ld is cancelled out by tzeentchs +3Ld, I now realise I just shudve ignored kairos till nothings left and just shot the hell out of the helldrakes in my turn 3, though there was no way I cudve saved that flyrant from their vectorstrikes since we dont have invulnerable saves like kairos. Ill admit my opponent wasnt the best opponent to play a swarm army against however better to play against the hardest opponents torly see what your army needs and IMHO its 3 crones and 3 units of zoans for me!!! In my meta every1 has tonnes of flyers, 1 has CSM with IG so u can imagine 2 hell drakes, 2 vendetta, deamon princes and the like!! Plus zoans are by far amazing!! Best babysitters for gaunts can have 18"synapse default and if u cme too close to the gaunts, hello 3 warpblasts!! (Unless u DTW ) but 3 crones are a must, even if u play vs infantry armies, u have 3 templates s6 ap4 and a s8 vector strike so bye bye marines and 3 I5 w5 S5 Mc's for combat if needs be!! Oh and even tanks will run away from all those tentaclids (I see u land raiders) only problem with tjis list that I see are maybe TEQs as not much ap 2 aside from 9 zoanthropes. And wraithknights but I guess my hormagaunts would have to tarpit those. Oh and hormagaunts are really really fast so if u wanna use a flying circys like me id highly recommend them very good tarpit units!!!

Any of your opinions or ideas about my list would bemuch appreciated!!!

I agree on needing multiple Crones, they are so good against Flyers. Also, Flyrants with 2xBL Devourers can fly behind the Heldrakes and shoot them up the tailpipe.

Given the opponent's list, he has no ranged shooting that should worry you. So you don't have to advance to him... that's one reason I'd like to also run a few Biovores (drop 2 Zoeys and some troops to get 3 Biovores), so you can plink him at long range without having to advance too much. Now, he cannot Vector Strike you as long as your FMC is more than 30" from his edge, since he has to fly his base over you. That gives you the chance to hang back, see where his Heldrakes come in, and get the first set of Vector Strikes in on him. If you can get behind a Heldrake with the Flyrants, they can down them also.

He has Kairos and a Prince to shoot with, but you have the Flyrants... 24 shots from the Devourers should drop whichever Prince doesn't have the Grimoire active.

Main thing is that, like many Flyer vs Flyer matchup, whoever advances first and lets the opponent come in and shoot at him first, ends up losing the aerial battle. That's why I like Heldrakes with the Autocannons, because they don't have to advance far... just get into the board a bit and shoot up the opponent Flyers. Flyrants and Crones can do the same thing with the twin-linked Devourers and the Tentaclids.

I agree with u now in hindsight. But when I saw the black mace and kairos with flickering fire I thought if id kill atleast the 2 deamonmprinces with GoTR andnthe other with black mace even if id lose 1 flyrant, id still have the other, the only proglem was that he got an extra wound as a gift and my flyrant fell and gt killed by the mace.but ur right ill let him start nextbtime and wait for him to come!! Anything else about the list? Anymore opinions? Dont forget that u wudnt really need the s4 ap4 biovores as u already have 5 s5/10ap3/2 warp hlast and if ur lucky ud get that onbthe flyrants too plus the templates at s6 ap4 on the crones

The reason for the Biovores is that they can start hitting Tau on Turn 1, and if the Tau rely on an Aegis Line, as most do, you can Barrage behind it and give them no saves. Tau are going to be a major issues for Nids, so figuring out how to beat them specifically may be necessary.

I agree 150% the only problem I personally find is that most tau players atleast I play dont rly use fire warriors but kroots because of their sniping and cheaper therefore larger number, which then outflank, if they dont and deploy in cover or an aegis yes, ud kill them, but in all honesty im more frightened about broadsides and/or riptides and spore mines even if at s6 ifu fire 3, are still ap 4...sometime this week ill be playing a tau list with 3 riptides, 2 units of broadsides with eldar allies, with farseer, guide, prescience bla bla bla and ill write another batrep if ur interested I think the lictors would be a great distraction for broadsides for a turn so the crones get to charge them and lock them in combat, the kroots have the zoanthropes to worry about plus the hormagaunts then its tyrants and/or gants/hormies for the riptides :/

Since eldar and tau and maybe white scars are the armies to beat right now, what would you think of this list?

2 dakka flyrants
    3 crones
    3 exocrines
    Thats 1435pts and I have another 415pts for troops...now im thinking about why warriors would be good!! With 4 units of 3 each for objectives and I have 55pts left for upgrades (regen on warlord??) Do you think hed be firing at warriors turn 1 with all that target priority? The exocrines can fire bursts of 6 s7 ap2 on riptides and having three is bound to down 1 per turn, plus crone vector strikes on them and those pie plates on the exocrines would rape broadsides right? As for wave serpents well exocrine firing 6 s7 ur bound to get a glance or pen if u focus all 3 on 1 serpent or wounding a wraithknight(which is hard for every1 to kill) and the crones tentavlids cud rly hurt the serpants, what do you guys think?

Any opinions, guys? Please?
    Last edited by Dave Caruana; 01-14-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Did you say Kairos and Tzeenthc Prince BOTH had Grimoires?

No, the deamon prince had it and gave it to kairos every turn.