BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Tyranids- Swarm, Swarm, Swarm! (1750)

Trying to come up with a fun army outta Codex: Bugs to capture that endless tide feeling.

I know it won't be competitive with the "top tier" armies but I'm not a tournament player so that's ok. What I would like is to come up with something that will be able to give the other players at my FLGS a good game. If I have a bunch of good, fun games and lose them all, I'm a happy camper. I just don't want to get blasted off the table turn one. =)

Any thoughts on this would be very, very appreciated!

HQ: Hive Tyrant- Wings, 2L Devourer w/Brainleech Worms, Lash Whip/Bonesword

TROOPS: 30 Hormagaunts
    TROOPS: 30 Hormagaunts
    TROOPS: 28 Termagants
    TROOPS: 28 Termagants
    TROOPS: 9 Genestealers and a Broodlord
    TROOPS: 9 Genestealers and a Broodlord

ELITES: 2 Zoanthropes
    ELITES: 2 Zoanthropes
    ELITES: 2 Venomthropes

FAST ATTACK: 15 Gargoyles

HEAVY SUPPORT: Carnifex
    HEAVY SUPPORT: Carnifex

Have at it, friends!

Seems reaaaally fun to play!! Oh how jd love to be able tonuse a list like that, if only I wasnt practicing for a tournament! If your hormagaunts have t.sacs u shudnt underestimatebthem as they ll move 12" a turn and can kill anything!! The 1 drawback with your list is that if you go against someone with fliers, even tho u have 1 flyrant, hed outmanouvre it and down it and ruin your game, so imho you need more AA :/

One thing I see really wrong is you Tyrant has 3 arm weapons, you can only have 2 because you have to exchage your scything talons.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

you have 3 synapse node....3

those zoanthropes may have a 3++ but they die like 8 marines to small arms fire and thats no problem, your going to halt in your tracks by turn 2 when your tyrant and zoans have died.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Whoops...I thought one set swaps for the devourers and one swaps for the lashwhip/bonesword. Well, that'll get me some points back!

You're absolutely right that synapse is a problem. I've been looking for good ways around it, that don't involve cutting into the horde numbers too much. If the model count goes down too much the army's going to lose that Starship Troopers feel and that's the whole reason I started playing them...any thoughts on how I can keep model count up while picking up some durable synapse? (I experimented with tyranid warriors and a tervigon but neither seemed a good investment in points)

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Esseldal View Post
    Whoops...I thought one set swaps for the devourers and one swaps for the lashwhip/bonesword. Well, that'll get me some points back!
    It's possible that there might be some confusion here. You seem to have combined '2' and 'TL' (Twin-Linked). You can indeed have one set of Twin-Linked Devourers and Lashwhip & Bonesword. What you've made it look like, though (which is what I assume confused Broodingman87 and myself), is that you've bought two sets of TL Devourers as well as the LashSword, which would total three things. This is especially confusing as two sets of TL Devourers is such a common loadout.

Which we you going for? Two sets of TL Devourers or one set and LashSword?

As for the good, durable synapse thing... let us know when you figure it out, because I don't think any of us have yet. :P

First-Captain

Switch out stealers for warriors. If you can fir a Trygon Prime in the list than synapse shouldn't be a major problem.

I look at it going back to 4th. Although in my opinion Zonathropes where way more durable, however gravity weapons have me liking the newer Zonathropes a bit more now.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, take a barebones Warriors. Possibly upgrade 'em to Deathspitters and hv weapon.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

I would exchange the Genestealers for Warriors, as suggested above. Even Shrikes would be good, as long as you stay away from the expensive upgrades.