BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

You know what I'd really like to see? A giant female Bloodthirster type demon. Head to foot baroque plate armour, no cleavage windows...
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

I will wait to see the postage costs to the UK.

I will buy a Vulture Daemon and possibly a Plague Daemon which may be added to the Kickstarter campaign as it progresses.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    You know what I'd really like to see? A giant female Bloodthirster type demon. Head to foot baroque plate armour, no cleavage windows...
    As cool as a female bloodthirster would be, anything head to foot in plate armor is going to be basically genderless anyway. Unless of course you deliberately make the armour either more form fitting or emphasise things that shouldn't be visible anyway...

Actually it depends on the style of armour and how well fitted it is. Gothic plate is really quite feminine:

And when the cuisses are made to fit a womans larger thighs it looks even more so.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Battle-Brother

Well yes but telling the difference between a man and a woman wearing that armor is going to be nigh impossible even at real scale, in miniature it's going to be even harder. That and not all baroque armor is gothic being as not all of it was german. Baroque armor would imply italian armor from around the 16th century which has a much less exaggerated waistline generally. (not always of course as it isn't like the suits were mass produced.)

Well I was thinking her head would be bare but yes baroque was probably a bad choice of word. I meant more in terms of decoration, it being highly ornate, rather than the actual period from which the armour dates. There are ways of making it appear female without sexualising the armour though. Not to mention at the larger scale of this demons the differences would be much more visible than at 28mm scale.

Battle-Brother

Fair enough, I have a particular bias against people wearing full plate and skipping the helmet so that didn't occur to me (made my sisters of battle even more expensive than usual...)

The problem with trying to engender a suit of armor is that most ways you can differenciate genders usually are going to be completely covered. The waist is unlikley to be tailored in more than usual because the angle of deflection changes make the armor less effective and while the cuisses might be slightly wider you probably wouldn't be able to definitavely work out the sex of the wearer from that alone.

Of course this assumes you still want it to be functional armor, generally that gets sacrificed in fantasy settings anyway.

I am not particularly worried about female demons wearing armor, as generally speaking the male demons in the whole bloodthirster theme don't wear armor either, it's part of their whole "come at me, I'm a raging berserker and I don't need armor" gimmick. What does confuse me to no end is that apparently demons work the same as orangutans, with the males being huge and scary and the women looking cuddly. Does a bloodthirster really need sex appeal? o_O

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Theik View Post
    I am not particularly worried about female demons wearing armor, as generally speaking the male demons in the whole bloodthirster theme don't wear armor either, it's part of their whole "come at me, I'm a raging berserker and I don't need armor" gimmick. What does confuse me to no end is that apparently demons work the same as orangutans, with the males being huge and scary and the women looking cuddly. Does a bloodthirster really need sex appeal? o_O
    Both the GW and forgeworld bloodthirsters are wearing heavy armor.
    Besides that, most depictions of demons that don't have anything to do with sex are effectively genderless anyway. All of the GW lesser demons fall into this, I couldn't say whether Bloodletters, Plaguebearers or Horrors were male or female, their anatomy is too different from human anyway. The bloodthirster might be a product of this too, if you took a creature with no sexual characteristics at all and then fed it enough steroids to hulk out like that I imagine it would look similar just because of the way muscle builds in extremes. Look at female body builders (the extreme ones) sometimes the only way to tell they are women at all is because they are wearing a bra in their pictures...
    Last edited by Littha; 04-24-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345