BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Scary looking Nids!

I've always wanted my Nids to look scary. Like eyes and teeth glowing in the dark kind of scary.

I've tried a darker colour pallet and that doesn't look that good on the field. Then I saw this today

and that's terrifying! An army of these! Yes please!

But before I base my whole army from black to white has anyone seen any other paint schemes on Nids that just look spooky/unsettling/scary?

Edit:
    Found more of this guy's stuff
    [url]http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.ca/2012/03/tyranids-tyranids-and-more-tyranids.html[/url]
    Last edited by Halollet; 01-18-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Occuli Imperator

I like the scheme on that, i ook forward to seeing your version.

I've not seen a scary one per se.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Sergeant

I see what you are saying. I'm looking over to my display case next to me and I realize that my classic Hive Fleet Leviathan army doesn't even come close to inspiring the dread that this one picture does. I guess the colors Purple and Cream are not inherently "scary". I think its the bloody mouth and chest that does it. Also the pale, almost undead skin tone. Its almost like its a zombie Exocrine. Funny, for some reason I'm now in the mood to paint some Nurgle forces...

What I like is a light or dark brown base for an army, maybe with black on large shell plates. But, you make all of the talons, hands, and faces a really pale brown color, maybe cream or beige, perhaps even shading all the way to white. Then you can put blood smeared all over the claws or dripping from the teeth and it will show up nicely on the cream/beige.

I do NOT like the cannon colors on this miniature, BTW... blood from the shooting end? It's firing some kind of plasma, not biofluids. And if it did fire biofluids, green is a more common color in the genre to denote acidic or corrosive fluids.

Man, that looks great! So much better than the GW scheme...
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

That looks insane! Love it
    Member of team Zer0Comp and the website www.frontlinegaming.org

I do like that scheme for Tyranids, it is definitely quite impressive. The contrast of white and black seems to work quite well. I agree the blood-looking effects on the cannon are a bit bizarre. I think it would have been better served if they had made it look more like an energy buildup or something. Or even just used the orange as a contrast (because the orange works). But the "wet" look does seem a little incongruous with what's supposed to be going on with the cannon.

Veteran-Sergeant

I love that paint scheme, although it does benefit from being well lit. I've personally always been unwhelmed by black colour schemes (my own included) on the table top and cabinet. They just look flat unless you are picking it up and twirling it in front of your face.

Fly Lord

Moving this creepy gribbly over to the painting and hobby forum - please carry on people.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Librarian

just fork out for a 2nd or 3rd gen nid army LOL thats a scary sight

i saw that earlier too and loved the colours.

i really want to see a modern army based on the doom of the eldar era nids all red and bone with blue and yellow details.

if i came into some cash this year id probably do it myself warriors with claws and boneswords and a cannon, screamer killer in raised position (or maybe a trigon prime for that one ) and dead eldar all over the place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast