Troops : 195 Tervigon,
    Troops: 120 30x Termagaunts
    Troops: 180 30x Toxin Termagaunts
    Elites: 100 2x Zonathropes
    Elites: 100 2x Zonathorpes
    Elites: 165 3x Hive Guard
    Heavy Support: 235 Trygon Prime
    Heavy Support: 140 Mawlock

Well this is my first nid list after reading the book. I probably will be revamping several times. The difficulty I found making the list was fitting everything I want in it.

I will probably drop the Mawlock and winged tyrant.in their place I will add in the Swarmlord with hive guard

Another thought is to run 3 HQ tervigons and one tervigon as troop. Which frees up almost 400 points which can go towards heavy and elite. Which means I can have my 2 M awlocks.

Anyway this is the list I will run a few times till I finalize my final thoughts.

If there is any questions why I did what I did I'll answer them for you. Honestly I am leaning toward flat out ignoring flyers with nids. Depending on performance I might run two winged tyrants and drop the Zonathropes and have 3 tervigons with 90 gaunts.

Librarian

i would suggest keeping the flying tyrant i think it fills a nice role in any tyranid army. i woudl drop the toxins. I know i'll probably get screamed at agian but oh well. run those guys naked no upgrades. here is why that 60 points you spent to give them poision can be move around to other units and spent accordingly. now with you running 2-3 tervigons your army will be able to take damage knowing that your backfield will be replenished by additional gribblies. now me being insane apparently i would maybe ut it down to 2 tervigons and upgrade a 2nd to another flying tyrant. here is my thoughts on why. this will give you 2 fast monsterous reatures will good shooting. they will have the speed to move around the board in support of your other gribblies.

now while i am not sold on the mawlock and prime you can always play the list as is then make changes based on what you think works and isnt working. i woudl say hive guard will still work nicely in this addition.. so they aren't bs4 big whoop their still bs3 and their guns ignore cover so that should beenough of a plus to atleast give them a try. i woudl say i'd feel more comfortable fielding 2 units instead of 1.

Chapter-Master

I'd ditch the HQ Tervigon for Tyranid Prime. move it around when needed.
    Then I'd ditch the Trygon prime (your points are wrong on the Trygon Prime, but you have the total army points right).
    Instead, I'd use the left over points to get a Carnifex or Exocrine. Also get a Biovore squad.

425 from the Trygon Prime and Tervigon

140 Tyranid Prime
    —Spinefists, Rending Claws, Toxin Sacs
    170 Exocrine
    80 Biovores
    —2 Biovores
    35 points, sprinkle in Devourers on gaunts. Or take flesh hooks and Bonesword/Bonesword and Lash, and Devourers on gaunts.

Another Option:
    145 Tyranid Prime
    —Spinefists, Maw Claws, Toxin Sacs
    160 Screamer Killer
    —Carnifex, Spine Banks, Bio-Plasma, Adrenal Glands
    120 Biovores
    —3 Biovores
    Last edited by Tynskel; 01-17-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

First-Captain

This is not a final, but a test base list so to speak. Meaning it is probably gonna change a bit.

I probably get hive commander so I can outflank with a Tervigon. At least I can outflank now and spawn gaunts now.

Will try Biovores at a later date. Want to see how the new Mawlock plays out.

The Exocrine is not bad, but who would get within 24" of it. Thinking of going two Mawlock and maybe on Exocrine to keep people honest.

I thought about the prime, but it limits me from taking a tyrant or swarmlord.

The toxin squad is for things like Wraithknight, if I take the Exocrine and pray he doesn't roll a 6 to instant kill me I think the Exocrine might help instead. Still debating on using the Exocrine.

Chapter-Master

Silly, you move to 24". Talk to any Grey Knight player, they'll tell ya that 24" is tha BomB.

Chapter-Master

Honestly, if you are not going FMC heavy, I would ditch the Hive Tyrant. If you are worried about Flyers, take an Aegis Gun. Bunker works well, or as I have mentioned in other threads, Defense Line + Quad Cannon + Exocrine.

That's another 130 points to throw around.

Chaplain

If you are looking to just use the Tervigons as troops and Synapse/Psykers, consider rolling with 1-2 and take advantage of the ability to add multiple weapon loadouts to Termagants, consider burying 3 shot devourers to the rear of the unit where they will take less losses initially, for 160 points you have a unit that can throw out 50 shots at 12-18" add another 20 more shots for 40 more points. With Onslaught they should be able to get into range running and shooting fairly fast too.

Also as many Tervigons as you are running id argue a venomthrope is a good idea since it would be rather easy to hide out of Line of sight behind one of the monstrous creatures, and while yes many armies have ignore cover particularly Tau, they still have to expend those markerlight tokens to remove it.

Also consider with Hive Commander you can make one of your (Troop)Tervigon's Outflank and immediately start spawning little niddlings to a side

Not a huge fan of the Exocrine(though love the model), since you can get 3 Hive Guard for less that put out more the same 6 amount of Str 8 shots w/ Homing and Ignores Cover at 24".

I would avoid a Tyranid Prime for anything but a full unit of 9 Tyranid Warriors(the only unit he can really act as a force multiplier for), for his price tag, its almost always better to snag a cheap Hive tyrant instead which can make twice the shooting attacks and gets 2 rolls on the Powers of the Warp to increase your odds of getting Catalyst and Onslaught.

Another good argument for Swarmlord (Psyker 3) especially if you wanted to see your Mawlocs go to work faster(+1 all reserve rolls) and possibly save your flyrant as much skyfire grief. Not to mention starting with 18" synapse Warlord trait saving you from an unlucky roll on the table.

The Mawlocs make for an excellent counter to shooting armies, and you don't care if they are out of Synapse for Feed since as single model monstrous creatures without access to shooting attacks, they simply charge what they are close to if they happen to fail a leadership check and used properly they will ideally be right in the middle of the enemy anyhow, usually having just mulched half a squad of pathfinders or broadsides. How effective are tau vs flyers typically without markerlights and skyfiring broadsides?(I don't think I ever see tau bring their own flier to a fight)
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 01-17-2014 at 07:36 PM.

First-Captain

Funny. I am a Grey Knight player. Love it when heavy 4 turns to assault two to get that 30" threat range. However I can at see astard get scout movement and vehicles. Like for example I would use rhinos and disembarkment to get a 36" threat range, 48" with the scout movement.

Anyway I have face and done the stay away game with missile sides and their range is 36". Out of broadside experience with the meta in my area. They would avoid the Exocrine and pelt him outside his shooting range.
    @ Gleipnir: I agree mostly in what you say with similar ideals. With Tau I run Skyrays, so good luck getting rid of all my sky fire. Anyway. I think lictors/ Swarmlord/ Mawlock would be good.

I am thinking of dropping the Trygon in favor of Mawlocks the more I think about it. I just don't like running two Tervigon s.

Chapter-Master

Another Flying Hive Tyrant replacemnet.

Tyranid Prime + Norn Crown. Bunker + Quad Cannon.
    If you place the bunker as close to the center of the board, that 18" radius projecting from the bunker is gunna cover a significant portion of the board. The Prime's BS4 will ensure the quad cannon is blasting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    The Mawlocs make for an excellent counter to shooting armies, and you don't care if they are out of Synapse for Feed since as single model monstrous creatures without access to shooting attacks, they simply charge what they are close to if they happen to fail a leadership check and used properly they will ideally be right in the middle of the enemy anyhow, usually having just mulched half a squad of pathfinders or broadsides. How effective are tau vs flyers typically without markerlights and skyfiring broadsides?(I don't think I ever see tau bring their own flier to a fight)
    The Mawloc is probably the best unit outside of synapse. You don't even need to assault because you can burrow before it happens and you're no long subject to your IB roll.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast