BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    The Exocrine is not bad, but who would get within 24" of it. Thinking of going two Mawlock and maybe on Exocrine to keep people honest.
    You put it within 24" of an objective they need to win the game.

I thought about the prime, but it limits me from taking a tyrant or swarmlord.
    The Swarmlord just doesn't do enough for it's point cost. If the Flyrant dropped so many points, I have no idea why the Swarmlord went up. I mean, I'd like to run him, but the opportunity cost is way to great.

First-Captain

The Swarmlord can beat a Bloodthirster in combat, I can see why he would cost more than a Thrister to be honest. The only reason I would really field a lord is if I have a decent amount of stuff in reserves. Also he gives out a possible 4 buffs which is not bad. He is one of your best force multipliers and one of the best beat sticks in the game. His main draw back is he can't really shoot, unless he gets warp blast.

I see him as a sink, but than again I use to see Fateweaver as a sink. That is why you play test. Theory hammer only goes so far.

I see the Exocrine the nid answer to a squad of plasma guns. He can technically rapid fire 24" away. My problem unlike my other plasma gun units he isn't very mobile. If he was a troop I can outflank him, or if he could take like a nid drop pod or something. No I get a model that is ranged anti troop, like you really need more ranged anti-troop. His only saving grace is that he is ap 2. The ap 2 makes him comparable to 3 Zonathropes or a Mawlock. With the Zonathropes he can put out more, but not as durable, can't buff troops, etc. On the bright side he doesn't have to worry about deny the witch. If you look at the Mawlock it can be unreliable. However a Mawlock can take out units anywhere on the board.

The only real thing the Exocrine really brings to the table is that it can kill terminator type units better than anything else and you have something decent vs Wraithknight and Riptide. My problem however if it is a treat to those units and easier to kill than a Zonathropes guess who is getting blasted. Either they will be ignored or blasted off the table.

Veteran-Sergeant

I see the Exocrine the nid answer to a squad of plasma guns. He can technically rapid fire 24" away. My problem unlike my other plasma gun units he isn't very mobile. If he was a troop I can outflank him, or if he could take like a nid drop pod or something. No I get a model that is ranged anti troop, like you really need more ranged anti-troop. His only saving grace is that he is ap 2. The ap 2 makes him comparable to 3 Zonathropes or a Mawlock. With the Zonathropes he can put out more, but not as durable, can't buff troops, etc. On the bright side he doesn't have to worry about deny the witch. If you look at the Mawlock it can be unreliable. However a Mawlock can take out units anywhere on the board.

The only real thing the Exocrine really brings to the table is that it can kill terminator type units better than anything else and you have something decent vs Wraithknight and Riptide. My problem however if it is a treat to those units and easier to kill than a Zonathropes guess who is getting blasted. Either they will be ignored or blasted off the table.
    I think the Mawloc and Exo synergize nicely. Exo for your side of the board and the Mawloc for their side of the board. That's a lot of terminator killing death! Pity that leaves you only 1 more heavy slot though.

I'm not sure why you're comparing the Exo to Zoans when looking at terminator killing. Zoans, at best, can knock out 3 while the exo can cut a pie plate shaped whole in the opposing army. If anything I would put the two together for synapse and so the Zoans can pop the transport and then Exo can blast the passengers!

The range is not bad at all on an Exo, especially if you get Onslaught then you can pieplate first turn. In missions like Emporer's Will and Relic that meat is going to be running right at you anyways, no reason not to meet them in the middle!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Halollet View Post
    I think the Mawloc and Exo synergize nicely. Exo for your side of the board and the Mawloc for their side of the board. That's a lot of terminator killing death! Pity that leaves you only 1 more heavy slot though.

I'm not sure why you're comparing the Exo to Zoans when looking at terminator killing. Zoans, at best, can knock out 3 while the exo can cut a pie plate shaped whole in the opposing army. If anything I would put the two together for synapse and so the Zoans can pop the transport and then Exo can blast the passengers!

The range is not bad at all on an Exo, especially if you get Onslaught then you can pieplate first turn. In missions like Emporer's Will and Relic that meat is going to be running right at you anyways, no reason not to meet them in the middle!
    I might rewrite and try it out. The prime is rather High and I think I will drop and pick up thr Exocrine and give it a try.

Played my first game with the new Dex

Dakka Flyrant

2 Zoeys
    1+1 Venoms

30 gaunts (20 Dev)
    Tervigon with Miasma Cannon
    5 Stealers + BLord

Crone
    Crone

Mawloc
    Exocrine
    Biovore

Aegis with quad-gun

1850 list vs Eldar with 3 wave serpents.

My Venomthropes and Exocrine died early, but sucked up a lot of shooting.
    Tervigon was also a big target but had Catalyst and was behind the aegis. 4+ Regen is really good.

The Eldar had no flyers and limited skyfire, so the Crones and the Flyrant had their way with the Space Elves.

The Mawloc stuck his landing and took out a unit of bikes to clear an objective. Second unit of bikes and two walker things couldn't shoot him off of the objective before he got into combat and stayed for the rest of the game.

Goes without saying that MC's are really good.

Won the game 3 objectives to 0, as the Tyrant was able to contest an objective late.

I felt that I was pretty lucky on the whole.

I think that a bastion is the way to go. Keep the Venom completely out of sight.

Chapter-Master

I might rewrite and try it out. The prime is rather High and I think I will drop and pick up thr Exocrine and give it a try.
    Quad Cannon. The exocrine is begging for a second gun...
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Sorry to be blunt and to the point harsh... but I really don't like this list.

Tervigons do not work anymore, eldar dark reapers, grav weapons... they will kill it on their own with you getting little to no save against them and then losing a ton of termagants. the 195pts is really not worth it and it is really not worth the 120pt tax to put them in troops.

1 Tervigon in turn 2 going splat cost me 19 termagants from 3 broods... No point my opponent targeting your smaller models when you have massive great big powder kegs in your list.

1 tervigon to sit back and pump out termagants is enough... but anymore and you are just giving away cheap easy kills.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Powell View Post
    Sorry to be blunt and to the point harsh... but I really don't like this list.

Tervigons do not work anymore, eldar dark reapers, grav weapons... they will kill it on their own with you getting little to no save against them and then losing a ton of termagants. the 195pts is really not worth it and it is really not worth the 120pt tax to put them in troops.

1 Tervigon in turn 2 going splat cost me 19 termagants from 3 broods... No point my opponent targeting your smaller models when you have massive great big powder kegs in your list.

1 tervigon to sit back and pump out termagants is enough... but anymore and you are just giving away cheap easy kills.
    Don't pa attention to this guy. Tervigons still work.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

First-Captain

I was gonna drop my Tervigons, but I find them to be cheaper than what I ran before. With the ease of bow armies can blow away some nid units I think a unit that is support and pumping out more scoring units is too good to pass up. Grav guns have limited range and the tervigons can easily stay out of the range.

I played my first game vs White Scars. Funny I deep strike my Mawlock on his bikes too.

Anyway I won due to him scout moving trying to take out my Tervigons early. Thanks to cover saves I didn't lose any, but they where badly hurt. If he focused on one instead of all three he could had taken out one maybe two. Have to say I love hive guardwhich pprovided cover saves.

Anyway I am revamping the list a bit. I need more Zonathropes and need to get another Mawlock. Depending on shipping etc. My list will reflect what I have. Meaning if I can't get certain models before tournament my list will be on what I have.

That being said this is the units I will add/ keep.

Winged Tyrant: need the anti- air and the vector strikes help with taking out bikes. I am thinking of getting the rending, shredding flame thrower with the artifact flame weapon. That way I can vector strike and flame units twice.

Going to add in Swarmlord. The buffs and the reserve rolling is nice.

Tervigon as troops. I am torn at wanting to run 3 but may run 2. Also instead of poison gaunts the ideal of mixed gaunts seems nice to have. I am still running numbers, but thinking 20 flesh gaunts and 10 devil gaunts in a squad. I might run a squad with poison, maybe warriors.

Dropping Trygon for Mawlock. I like the Trygon but the Mawlock is good for it's cheap price tag.

Taking Exocrine, it's cost effective when you think about it.

Dropping Hive Guard. I may run them in tournament due to point issues, but the problem with them is out of them and Zonathropes. The Zonathropes do more. The guard is good vs heavy cover vehicles, but with all the mcs on the board you bound to crack open a few tanks in combat.

Synapses wasn't really an issue since he tried to kill off my Tervigons and failed, he was too close to my gaunts which I tied up his army till my other units killed his bikes.

However having poison on gaunts would be helpful with dealing with units like bikes. The addition of the Swarmlord would be nice.

I also want to say that I will be adding hive commander so I can outflank with my Tervigons.

Vectorstrike counts as a shooting attack fyi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast