BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

So, back to actually discussing this potentially awesome Dataslate...

Can I bring these gribblies as pets for my Taudar to use as hunting parties as part of a Formation?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Did you try kicking it?
    Did you try turning it off and on again?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post

Can I bring these gribblies as pets for my Taudar to use as hunting parties as part of a Formation?
    That would be pretty cool. What's those weird aliens with the chest-mounted guns that work as mercenaries?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post

No, dataslates/formations still follow the allies chart.

I'm a little lost as to what a data slate does for me. If I buy this digital book, does it afford me new rules with which to use with my Tyranid army? For instance, using the teasing pictures associated with the black library site, I could put Deathleaper and 5 Lictors into my army using a "formation". What is a formation? If someone could take a moment and point me towards answers I would appreciate it. Thanks

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Yeahbuddy42 View Post
    ...I could put Deathleaper and 5 Lictors into my army using a "formation". What is a formation? If someone could take a moment and point me towards answers I would appreciate it...
    Thanks for asking the same question I have. If I take that Assassin Brood with my Tyranid Army, does that free an HQ (Deathleaper) and Elite (Lictors) slot in my FOC? Or does the Assassin Brood take 1 HQ and 1 Elite slot in my Tyranid FOC?

Chaplain

Didn't see this anywhere else so thought I'd offer some of the info from the 5 formations in Dataslate

Lictor Forest Brood

1 oversize Lictor Brood consisting of 5 Lictors instead of the normal 1-3 gains Shrouded instead of Stealth when in Forests and can Infiltrate (within 6") of an enemy if placed in a forest.

Deploying with 2+ cover save close to the enemy in a forest in a larger than standard brood certainly makes getting those Mawloc to accurately land seem much more likely. The within 6" wording seems unusual since it would mean your infiltrating either 1-6" away in forests or otherwise infiltrating 12" out of LoS or 18" in LoS and that more than 6" but less than 12" range is a no mans land for range

Manufactorum Genestealers

5 Genestealer Broods unable to add additional Genestealers(nothing forbidding Broodlords) gains Hit and Run and can Infiltrate (within 6") of an enemy if deployed in Ruins or Buildings

An improvement over the basic codex since at 6" they definitely can disrupt late turn 1 or turn 2, potentially buying the rest of the swarm time to advance early, since units in formations retain their battlefield role(ie HQ, Elite, Fast Attack and Troops) its a nice way of securing forward objectives

Deathleaper's Assassin Brood

Deathleaper + 5 Lictor Broods(each consisting of single model) gains Preferred Enemy vs Characters and Independent characters and -1 to enemy leadership within 12" of units in formation

I really like this one for its 12" leadership penalty bubble and the potential for on target Deep Strikes coming down from 6 separate pheromone trails

Broodlord's Hunting Pack

3 Genestealer Broods +1 Broodlord(Limit 1 Broodlord per formation) Can enter any unoccupied building from reserve or set up in any ruins more than 6" from the enemy(note no mention of Deep Strike or Infiltrating with this, just entering more than 6" away if ruins and as close as you want if unoccupied building). Gains preferred enemy against 1 enemy unit and all the models that are a part of that unit.

My second favorite of the five, just thinking of the potential chaos of Genestealers assaulting out of previously unoccupied building sections and ruins and coming into play in cover this way seems much more like Genestealers should have been. Yes lets face it the days of any unit being able to assault the turn it arrives are done, all the other armies are losing it too. As before a potential late game Troop choice for securing objectives.

Gargoyle Bio Bombs

3 Gargoyle Broods + 3 Spore Mine Clusters. Essentialy doubles spore mine clusters movement, run and charge ranges as long as they are within 6" of a gargoyle brood in the formation during each phase.

The formation with the most synergy involved, Deep Strike in preferably with Lictors guiding you in keep your gargoyles in front of the spore mines till its time to assault and then jump your gargoyles in assault beyond the blast of the spore mines.

Overall some nice changes that help make the hive mind's ability to disrupt better and improves on all 3 unit types it uses (Lictors/Genestealers/Spore Mines). The next Dataslate will likely feature some formations with Tyranid Warriors for those that are looking for some fixes for what currently feels overcosted.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 01-25-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: added personal comments

ty for posting this.. interesting for sure. It at least makes genestealers and lictors a bit more usable.
    Member of team Zer0Comp and the website www.frontlinegaming.org

Chaplain

The Eldar Ghost Warriors Dataslate has this to say...

"When you choose an army, you can take a Formation as a special form of Detachment. Unless otherwise stated, you can take any number of Formations in your army, and each is considered to be a completely separate Detachment, regardless of how many units make it up."

So, they don't take up any of your FOC and you can take as many Formations as you can afford the Points for.

Chaplain

Exactly. The independence of the FOC is of great use. If I was planning to run Lictors this is almost certainly how I'd do it. With a brood of 5 strong, that's 15 wounds throwing 25 attacks at I6 S6+ rending on the charge. Sure it's expensive, but no army will want to get close to it, and you can control movement on the enemy's side of the board.

Right now I cannot picture how to use the Garg/Sporemines

Edit: I didn't see that quick analaysis of the Sporemine formation. Used in conjunction with lictors it makes perfect sense. You really COULD do a Min/Max force with Obligatory FOC and then just load up on these formations!
    Last edited by Dlatrex; 01-25-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Let's say I take Broodlord's Hunting Pack.
    Let's say I take an Alpha Warrior as an HQ.

Theoretically, the Alpha Warrior could join one of the Genestealer Broods and arrive from reserve in an unoccupied building/ruin with them, correct?
    The "Hidden Beneath the City" rule states that the units from the formation arrive from reserves in that way, but there are no restrictions from an IC joining their unit.

I could be wrong, but I honestly hope I'm not because I know what formation I'll be taking.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast