BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Dark Eldar Tactica

I have been messing with Dark Eldar since 1998, and my love for this army knows no bounds.

Keeping things short and sweet....

If you have any tactical advice to play as or against Dark Eldar, or if you have any questions regarding Dark Eldar in particular, I will try my best to answer your questions.

Let the gates to Commorragh swing wide open to all who dare enter!
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Battle-Brother

Tactically, how can i force GW to go ahead and release my beloved DE in all its new and updatedness?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Mindless-Focus View Post
    Tactically, how can i force GW to go ahead and release my beloved DE in all its new and updatedness?
    As a Black Templar player I've always been puzzled when people ask for a new codex since I know full well it isn't likely to be as powerful as the current one. The same is doubly true for Dark Eldar.

Battle-Brother

as i said in another post, all i really want is miniatures that dont look like bison balls...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mindless-Focus View Post
    as i said in another post, all i really want is miniatures that dont look like bison balls...
    So what does that have to do with a codex? I don't understand what paper has to do with models.

You know GW has a huge line of models outside the Dark Eldar line right? I use a mix of Fantasy Dark Elves, Wood Elves and Eldar in my army for my models.

Now please stay on topic. This thread has nothing to do with personal taste for models. It is for tactical advice and questions concerning the Dark Eldar rules in tactical situations.

Fly Lord

I'll bite,

Webway Portals?

Reliable way to get the jump on the bad guys and protect your forces?
    or
    An unreliable gambit that is a quick path to losing half your army?

Lets hear the skinny on how, and if you should use these devices.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Being an ex-DE player, the only real tactic I was able to perform with, and that I ever saw perform consistently, was the kite army. As many raiders as possible, blasters in every squad, and a nice fully loaded Archon (7 attacks on the charge, re-roll misses, always woulds on 4+ was GLORIOUS!) with a full incubi retinue that would dice absolutely every non vehicle unit that it touched.

The problem with raiders is that you could close your eyes, pull the trigger and blow them away in the old edition. With the 5th ed rules at least it's trickier for bolters to pull them out of the sky. Couple that with a large fleet of them, and you're capable of putting some serious open topped fire and CC hurt on a lot of armies. Unfortunately, without a new codex, their squad options are very limited. You have to rely on some units to soak up the attention, ie: Talos - bad mofos. I used to run 2 and a ravager for fire support.

But it's been awhile, and I haven't tried to run them in 5th edition yet, so I'm curious to see what other people have to say!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    I'll bite,

Webway Portals?

Reliable way to get the jump on the bad guys and protect your forces?
    or
    An unreliable gambit that is a quick path to losing half your army?

Lets hear the skinny on how, and if you should use these devices.
    Well, Web Way Portals worked perfectly in 4th edition because LOS was completely blocked by area terrain.

In 5th edition, your WWP carrier is much more vulnerable to fire and dying.

With the buffs given to skimmer vehicles in 5th edition, it is just easier, and safer, to just use a Raider based army and zoom forward.

I used to use WWPs in my Wych Cult for many years, but since 5th, I just go back to my 3rd ed days and use a Raider force to fly my Wyches into combat.

Has anyone had constant success against a competent opponent using WWPs? I tried using it once last month, and it was meh at best. Not as reliable as just airforcing my army into the thick of it.

Battle-Brother

since 5th, no. I have tried to use WWP and have had no real success. Kite armies is really the only way to go now. Raiders are your friend.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xai View Post
    (7 attacks on the charge, re-roll misses, always woulds on 4+ was GLORIOUS!)
    How are you getting seven attacks?

3 base
    4 for charging
    5 for two CC weapons
    6 for drugs

Am I missing something?

Don't tell me you are misreading the Tormentor Helm and using that for an extra attack on top of the extra attack for two CC weapons?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast