BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Tyranid Mawlock

Default Tyranid Mawlock

Can a Tyranid Mawlock cut it's attacks in half to make "Stomp" (Sorry, I meant "Smash") attacks when it emerges while Deep Striking?
    Last edited by Maelstorm; 01-20-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Hivefleet Cobra-Kai

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstorm View Post
    Can a Tyranid Mawlock cut it's attacks in half to make "Stomp" attacks when it emerges while Deep Striking?
    Short answer: No.

Long Answer:
    You may be mixing up different things. The Mawloc's special deepstrike "attack" is not a close-combat attack. It happens during the movement phase, it's got a designated profile (Str 6 AP 2 Large Blast) and the "attack" has specific rules.

When a unit comes in from reserves, it cannot assault (unless it has a special rule giving it that ability). The "Smash" attack happens in the assault phase.

"Stomp" is technically another rule from Warhammer Fantasy.

So no, you can't exchange the Large Blast attack from the Mawloc's Deepstrike ability for the "Smash" rule. You wouldn't be able to assault the turn it came in. So there would be no option to use the "Smash" attacks in close combat on the player turn you arrive from deepstrike. You would be able to use "Smash" Attack if you got into close-combat.

Hope this helps.

Excellent, yes - thank you.

Sorry for the Stomp/Smash confusion - too many gaming systems in my head.

I was hoping for a way to reliably destroy vehicles when they emerge.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Chapter-Master

Excellent, yes - thank you.

Sorry for the Stomp/Smash confusion - too many gaming systems in my head.

I was hoping for a way to reliably destroy vehicles when they emerge.
    Nope, that's what CC is for, or Zoans, Tyrannofexes, Harpies, Hv Venomcannons, and Hive Guard are for.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

@Tynskel: Thanks.

I'm taking the plunge into Tyranids - it's more of a challenge to work with a codex that everyone is calling "mediocre" (I'm bring polite....)

The first half of the Troops - unboxed and built last week:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140118_172709.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	6809
    Last edited by Maelstorm; 01-20-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Chapter-Master

I'm taking the plunge into Tyranids - it's more of a challenge to work with a codex that everyone is calling a failure....

The first wave of troops:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140118_172709.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	6809
    Hive Mind Hungers...
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Faint message relayed from Castle Nebula bordering Imperial, Eldar and Tau contested territories;

------------------------------------------------------------------
    [VOX COMM] Priority "Ultra Black": Hive Fleet Maelstorm reported on the outer rim, their numbers are endless. 4 sectors lost to the shadow without slowing. Our weapons cache is depleted and they are still coming, please - send everything. [END TRANSMISSION]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Hive fleet Maelstorm is quickly gaining momentum - I've assembled 170+ Tyranid models since the codex dropped on the 11th. After this weekend's tournament I'll paint a couple of samples , then add fuel to the assembly-line paint machine! My goal is to place only painted models on the gaming table. ;D