BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: If GW wants you to buy more and start new armies regularly what should they do?

Voters
994. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prices are good - GW is costed properly for their quality now

32 3.22%
  • Lower Prices 10% - GW is slightly overcosted now.

88 8.85%
  • Lower Prices 20% - GW is moderately overcosted now.

458 46.08%
  • Lower Prices 30% - GW is severely overcosted now.

416 41.85%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default The Great GW Pricing Poll

It's time to be honest here. I want you to look at your hobby budget, price some of the things you want to buy and answer the poll.

If GW wants to get people like YOU buying much more regularly and starting new armies what should they do in the next 6 months?

Prices are good - GW is costed properly for their quality now. They should focus on even higher quality to pull ahead from any competition.
    Lower Prices 10% - GW is slightly overcosted now. It's not too bad and a small reductions would increase sales substantially.
    Lower Prices 20% - GW is moderatly overcosted now. It's pretty bad and it will take a notable change to turn things around.
    Lower Prices 30% - GW is severely overcosted now. GW is killing itself with their prices and needs to act decisively to turn things around.

Remember to compare their costs to the competition that mosts interests you.

VOTE!
    Last edited by Bigred; 01-20-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Initiate

Lower prices as much as they can in Poland you earn 500$ a month and the prices are the same as in UK/US

Veteran-Sergeant

I'm going to be honest here, we're about to see a large amount of winging about GW trying to make a profit and demand models be 30% cheaper. Unrealistic and unhelpful.

I'd like to see prices returned to there 2008ish price, for example skeleton 10 man sets being £12. Leman Russ' being in the region of £25-28, that kind of pricing. It doesn't need to be a major drop, just enough to make core kits affordable in quantity. I have no objection to the cost of the super-heavy/large kits (Riptide/wraighknight/ect) which strike me as being proportional to the quality and size of the miniature. The simple fact is though they have gotten greedy with the small sets.

Similarly i'd like to see heroes returned to a sane price and avaliability. Metal blisters (£6-12) used to be the core of my 40k experiance. I loved them, i could easily drop £30 a week on blisters because they were so exciting and fresh (2006-2010. Not long ago), but when GW started finecast they dropped availability to 0 (i went into GW last september, a good sized one. 15 40k finecast blisters, 4 of which where the apoc special marines).

If GW where to receive much more direct custom from me (i prefer to buy new, but GW's current policy dictates i buy second hand) all they would need to do is either fix current prices for 2-4 years and bring back metal mini's or lower the price of the existing range by 10-20% kit dependent. Some of the fine cast prices are utterly insane, as is the 'gw direct only' on standard kits.

GW direct should only apply to special models (Bare head techmarine, IG tank crews, that sort of thing) not to basic kits.... like the basilisk?

-skrall
    Like my work? Give a visit to my facebook page. It's a sort of hobby blog; https://www.facebook.com/nerdbydesignuk

Occuli Imperator

Of course the trouble is that GW's profits are down, and if they don't actually sell more units, then by dropping their prices they will actually take a chunk out of the profits even further. As it is, I spend a certain budget per month with GW, by dropping their prices that will not elicit a greater spend from me. They will get the same money but I will have more stuff. Which from my point of view is a great thing.

30% from a tactical squad will drop the cost to £17.50. Which for equivalent money I could get the Cygnar Rangers (both a full RRP).
    With GW working out at £1.75/model and PP at £2.99 per model, plus in my humble opinion the tacticals look far far far superior to the PPs. That is also without taking into account all the spares you get in the GW box, poseability etc.

So if GW is overcosted then so is PP. Hmm.

For the record in terms of battle field utility I have no idea if tacticals are equivalent to the rangers.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Skrall View Post
    I'm going to be honest here, we're about to see a large amount of winging about GW trying to make a profit and demand models be 30% cheaper. Unrealistic and unhelpful.

I'd like to see prices returned to there 2008ish price, for example skeleton 10 man sets being £12. Leman Russ' being in the region of £25-28, that kind of pricing.
    Funnily enough I worked our my response to this poll by comparing the price of what i used to pay for Space Marines which was £18 to their now £25 price tag, and the increase is nearly 30%. Although I do agree that the bigger kits shouldn't be decreased by 30%, but 15-20% would be a good idea to get people to buy. I still remember the days where a Land Raider was £30.

i understand what your saying however finecast is a cheaper way of making models rather than metal so if anything they should be cheaper.
    i belief we need to take things back to a basic level of understanding that manufacturing models only cost a penny so why are they so expensive. this is wrong in my opinion i belief that cost and selling point should have a pricing of at least 1:2

on another note they should stock all character models
    "Phone home"
    "no ET you don't get a call in the black cells"

Great poll, I personally voted at 20% as the average but I believe that some products only need a 10% discount, some need 30%, and some are actually just fine (though I'll admit that that last category is very small.

Veteran-Sergeant

1. fire 75% of their marketing department, cut costs 30% on models.
    2. ride massive wave of sales
    3. spend 50% of profits on web-based marketing firm, rebuild website
    4. divide 50% of product development to R&D of affordable 3d printers, drop hobbit and LOTR product lines completely to mitigate costs

Occuli Imperator

Unfortunately, it doesn't cost a penny to make, not by a long shot. While it may be fair to say that there is a pennies worth of material in the model the two are not the same. For each model that they make and sell, they have to cover the cost of rent for all of their shops both foreign and domestic, they also need to cover local taxes, the wage bill of the entire structure, pension contributions, from the receptionist right up to the main man. They need to cover the fuel prices, both used in the shops, at HQ and used in transporting their units around. They need to cover the cost of the maintenance of the machinery they use, including contingency to replace machines as they become uneconomic to repair, they need to cover the cost of developing a model from inception right through to production, and don't forget not every idea is made up, they take time and effort to get from drawing board to model, then sometimes once prototypes are made only then are flaws found. Then you need to consider the amount of money required to pay the staff to write the rules, play test them (I know some don't seem like they have been), but there is a huge amount of cost involved in making GW tick.
    Some of these costs scale with production, so if they sell enough units they will have covered the cost of inception to market, but then there is still all the other overheads to consider.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

For every percentage of cost dropped, you need the same increase in sales to make the same level of profit.

10%? Possible.

20% plus? Unlikely.

Me? I'm okay for now, through favourable circumstances of wage and living on my own with no dependants.

Naturally I wouldn't say no to cheaper prices, but overall I'm not fussed.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast