BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: If GW wants you to buy more and start new armies regularly what should they do?

Voters
994. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prices are good - GW is costed properly for their quality now

32 3.22%
  • Lower Prices 10% - GW is slightly overcosted now.

88 8.85%
  • Lower Prices 20% - GW is moderately overcosted now.

458 46.08%
  • Lower Prices 30% - GW is severely overcosted now.

416 41.85%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

I went for 30%, and to be honest, I think that's being generous.

I can buy an Infinity character of very close (if not equal) to GW quality sculpting for AU$12.50, where to get the analogue for 40k will set me back $20-25 if I'm lucky. The Infinity core book was roughly the same price as my Eldar Codex, full colour, equivalent quality and over double the page count.

To buy a playable force for Infinity, it cost me $50.00 (unpainted), to do the same for 40k? Easily $300.00+

GW like to use the tagline that they were the best quality miniature wargame figures in the world. That used to be true, back in the days of things like Warzone and even when War Machine first came out. However, Malifaux, Infinity and a slew of other games have proven that GW-quality figures can be made at a fraction of the GW asking price, and those games frequently have the added advantage of (in my opinion) a vastly more interesting ruleset (because let's face it, 40k hasn't changed dramatically since 3rd Ed, and could really do with a major overhaul). All 40k and fantasy have going for them at the moment is fluff, and I can get my fix of that from either computer games or the Fantasy Flight RPGs (which though expensive in their own right, are a far cheaper hobby then the mini games).

So yeah, if GW want my custom, they'd best decide to be competitive, because to be blunt they aren't anywhere near it right now. Unfortunately, I fear they'll hang themselves first. I just hope the IP goes to someone with some sense.

I voted 20% price drop. As others have stated, some things are ludicrously overpriced, some things are slightly overpriced, and a few things are about right, so 20% kind of evens those quibbles out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Hightower View Post
    While they are expensive, I would much rather see more communication and humility from them, rather than price decrease (not that I would complain!) Such as hobby related articles, willingness to quickly answer rules questions, seek feedback from their customers, and even reviewing their rules if there is a legitimate outcry.
    Agreed. GW's service, digital products, and rules writing just don't warrant the prices they demand, period. If they would support their products better and show less contempt for their customer base, we wouldn't feel quite so disgusted in overpaying for everything.

While I know a lot of work goes into the process, ideas, sculpting, mold making, then mass production, if you sell more units you'll recoup that cost much easier. Warhammer has a massive fan base, the sad part is that so many are driven away by either overcosted units or their codexes getting nerfed, or fluff getting redlined.

I think if they reduced prices between 30% and 50% they would not be able to keep up with demand. I know I personally buy a lot of stuff, but most of it has been from Ebay or bits bins at my FLGS, because I can't afford to pay full price unless absolutely necessary. And even then I try to find ways around not having to buy super expensive models and use what I have. However, lower their prices by a noticeable margin and I'd be buying the models new so I have all the options, all the bits for kit bashing and everything else.

Honestly, they just need to have an ACTUAL sale every couple months. There is never any damn relief or deals on the dang site.

Where's the "I stopped playing completely. Drop the prices by 50% and support the community, and I'll consider coming back" option?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyfer View Post
    I went for 30%

To buy a playable force for Infinity, it cost me $50.00 (unpainted), to do the same for 40k? Easily $300.00+
    Aren't you comparing apples an oranges here? A standard game of 40K is not equal to a standard game of Infinity or Malifaux. I do play Malifaux, and Warmahordes and the later is a better comparison and price equivalent. To compare to to infinity then use Kill Team rules, 200 pts. At that level you need a single box of Marines to play.

Here is a question for the community; if you want a 20% price cut does that mean you simply buy online and things are priced correctly? Question two, would you be okay with GW shutting down their retail chain?

Veteran-Sergeant

The biggest thing I can't wrap my head around is the price of the rules. I used to buy most of the codices just to check out the different armies but now I only buy the codices for the few armies I own. Here in Canada a codex is now $60, same with the supplements (which for the record should be a MAX of $20 as there is virtually no content). That boggles my MIND! My best analogy of this is like having one cell phone company that charges you the full price for your brand new cell phone (so like $500+) then charges you top dollar for your 3 year plan and THEN charges you top dollar for every little add on while all the other cell phone companies either give you the phone for free (like Privateer Press when you buy a model) or at a discounted price and have cheaper, in many cases better plans (phone isnt as pretty though). It's just a crazy business model to me.

Like others have said my biggest issue is the wildly inconsistent rules, most of which 100% feel like shallow cash grabs then attempts to make the game better (6th ed Apoc bombs? In comes Escalation). I just wish they were able to maintain a level of quality rules throughout an entire edition instead of having some Codices that are noticeably better (Eldar, Tau) and some that are noticeably mediocre to terrible (Dark Angels and Nids respecitvely...for two editions straight I might add). Like this edition has so many major facets that just feel like poorly thought out cash grabs (flyers, fortifications, allies). All of those could be great if they were implemented in an interesting way instead of "Needing a flat 6 regardless of BS to hit a flyer" or "Necrons can ally with Grey Knights...because...er..MONEY!". This, way more than any price for any of their products is what is keeping me out of playing Games Workshop games anymore. Hell, at this point I would pay $200+ for a competent Nid dex. Just saying.

So, Just to confirm, you actually want/need a 50% reduction in price?

Because currently the basic IG squad is 18GBP and you want it for 12. And Heroes are 12-15 and you want them for 6-12. That would also be a 50%-75% price drop there.

If you actually take a look at the numbers GW's price has increased by close to 50%, on average, across the board.

I have been playing since you could buy 2 heroes for around 3GBP. Now I understand that the price needs to increase with the times but in the last 5 years the price has been steadily increasing and the number of models included has been decreasing to the point where I will not buy new, period. I will instead buy models from friends and craigslist and the like.

Because whenever I buy new I am immediately disappointed because deep down I can feel that it was not worth the hard earned money I spent on it. Whatever it was. It doesn't matter anymore because all of the products coming out feel too expensive. They have lost their value to me. There are no impulse buys anymore because they all cost too much to be anything other than a deep internal debate (and sometimes not so internal if my wife has anything to say) of the worth of the item.

Brother-Sergeant

Something most players are not considering is the cost of starting the game. For long time vets like most of us here a price drop wont effect our spending. But new players starting the hobby are often put off buy the cost. A price drop would help bring new players into the game.

Voted 30%. I think the pricing of things like Centurions and Witch Elves are indicative of a need for massive change on their end.

Seriously, 60 dollars for 10 core troops that can be changed into a rare unit? That's really not that much value, particularly when a single block of 30 will set the buyer back 180 dollars. Compared to the much-maligned in their day "Goldswords" (Empire Greatswords), and you're dealing with nearly a 50% price increase over the last Fantasy unit to be ridiculously overpriced.

I understand that the Sternguard have a ton of flexibility and customizability. Truthfully, the Sternguard set and Tactical squad sets would need to be merged to even justify the cost, and even then they'd need to provide 10.

Don't even get me started on the Belial who has been going through nearly a week of time in glasses of hot water and the freezer to straighten out his sword a bit.

Truth be told, I've bought more recently than I have in years (an increase from 0 to Deathwing Army). I honestly went Deathwing because rebuilding my Dire Avenger-based Biel Tan army became wtfexpensive.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast