BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Eldar

Default Beginning Eldar

Hi!

I was thinking about making Eldar my second army..

I need some help to buy 1000 points of nice stuff...I wanted to make a Iyanden army, so a lot of wraithguards and some other death things ;P

ty

Brother-Sergeant

If you are going to go with a fluffy Iyanden list then you need all of the wraithbone construct things. Here is a sample 1000 point list:

HQ: Farseer (because you always want a Farseer no matter what)
    HQ: Spiritseer (to go with the Wraithguard)
    Troops: Wraithguard x5 (for anti-tank)
    Troops: Dire Avengers x10 (for anti-infantry)
    Dedicated Transport: Wave Serpent (because it is the best Eldar unit in the game)
    Fast Attack: Hemlock Wraithfighter (because its fluffy and looks cool)
    Heavy Support: Wraithknight (because its fluffy, looks awesome, and kicks butt)

1000 points isn't a lot to work with but this is a good foundation to build on. Come to think of it, since the Hemlock Wraithfighter isn't very competitive you can always swap it out for a Wraithlord which looks cool but is also not super competitive. If you are going super fluffy you can swap the Dire Avengers for some more Wraithguard but then you will suffer against hordes.

I don't know if I'd ever field only one Wraithfighter. Most of the time your opponent's anti-air will blast it before you get to do much. I'd either go with jetbikes or more Dire Avengers (these are a backbone unite) or another 5 wraithguard.

I don't like the hemlock..
    Isn't prince yriel a good option?

Brother-Sergeant

Yeah, you're probably right about the Hemlock. We should drop it and exchange it for a second Wave Serpent to ferry your Wraithguard around. You can never have too many Wave Serpents!

So, to summarize. a squad of 10 Dire Avengers with a Farseer in one Wave Serpent, a squad of 5 Wraithguard with Spiritseer in the second Wave Serpent, and a Wraithknight. 1000 points of awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo187 View Post
    Heavy Support: Wraithknight (because its fluffy, looks awesome, and kicks butt)
    There are better things to buy.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post
    There are better things to buy.
    no there are not
    looks awesome, plays awesome, scary as hell, expensive as hell... what´s not to like
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

personally, I prefer grav tanks......just saying

I mean seriously a pair of prisms and a night spinner, beautiful, just a shame that falcons aren't dedicated trasnports
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo187 View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right about the Hemlock. We should drop it and exchange it for a second Wave Serpent to ferry your Wraithguard around. You can never have too many Wave Serpents!

So, to summarize. a squad of 10 Dire Avengers with a Farseer in one Wave Serpent, a squad of 5 Wraithguard with Spiritseer in the second Wave Serpent, and a Wraithknight. 1000 points of awesome!
    I really like this option!
    And when I'll expand my army I want to buy more wraithguards (maybe some wraithblades? they look awesome!)

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    personally, I prefer grav tanks......just saying

I mean seriously a pair of prisms and a night spinner, beautiful, just a shame that falcons aren't dedicated trasnports
    This is what I love about the Eldar codex. Whether you go grav-tanks, War Walkers or Wraiths for Heavy Support, whether you go Swooping Hawks or Warp Spiders for Fast Attack, whether you go Wraiths or Dire Avengers/Guardians for Troops, and so on, you will always have a good list. THAT is good codex design.

For the OP, for an Iyanden list, I recommend getting a single Wraithknight armed with the two Heavy Wraith Cannons. If you grab the Iyanden supplement, you can make this guy your Warlord - the leader of your force. In smaller games especially, your opponents will hate you!

From there, Wraithguard (preferably armed with D-Scythes, but Wraithcannons are fine) in Wave Serpents backed by a Spiritseer will form the core of your list. Any spare points can maybe go to a a squadron of War Walkers.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast