BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default are all drop pods still viable?

I want to run an all drop pod list, but i'm not sure how well they perform in the current edition. i feel like mostly see biker armies running along. does anyone have any experience with all drop pods or mostly all drop pods? my list is below. let me know what you think or what i should change. also i'd be using the star phantoms chapter tactics from forge world; which means reroll 1's when deep striking, once per game all weapons are twin linked.

Captain
    artificer armour; power weapon; combi-melta.. • Command Squad 4× meltagun. Apothecary • Drop Pod

Venerable Dreadnought power fist (built-in heavy flamer); multi-melta • Drop Pod

Venerable Dreadnought twin-linked lascannon • Drop Pod

10 Tactical Marines plasma gun plasma cannon Veteran Sergeant power weapon plasma pistol • Drop Pod

10 Tactical Marines flamer Veteran Sergeant Power weapon • Drop Pod

10 Tactical Marines melta gun, multi melta Veteran Sergeant power weapon grav pistol • Drop Pod

10 Tactical Marines flamer Veteran Sergeant
    power weapon • Drop Pod

Stormtalon Gunship

Whirlwind . Predator

Whirlwind

total 2000 points

thats 7 drop pods in the list, 4 on the first turn and with rerolls i've got a better chance to get the other 3 reserves on the second turn. except for the storm talon, but im not worried about the storm talon. either way, let me know what you think.
    40k: Yme-loc Eldar
    Fantasy: Ogres! lots of ogres!

First-Captain

It's actually more viable since you can disembark 6" in any direction and can be used to give you a cover save. Not to mention you can now get in close with grav guns.

Brother-Sergeant

would i be better off with grav guns rather than the plasma?

Chapter-Master

Grav guns aren't nearly as good on non-relentless models. Maybe a unit of them, but really you should never be spamming one of any special weapon type.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Grav guns aren't nearly as good on non-relentless models. Maybe a unit of them, but really you should never be spamming one of any special weapon type.
    I would run grav/ melta and a plasma squad. For example grav is poor against daemons and plasma would be better out the 3 vs some daemons for example.

Brother-Sergeant

fair enough. maybe i'll drop one of the flamer squads and make them into a grav squad. then i'd one of each. cant get more flexible than that right?

Drop Pod lists are very viable. All lists have hard counters. Yours is lots of intercepting Ion Accelerators on Tau Riptides.

Your list does need a lot of honing though.

A few notes; I'll go by section:

HQ: Tigurius is the best HQ for nilla marine pod armies, bar none. That being said, Calgar can also be super good if you want to tac spam but that appears to not be your angle. Smashy captains or CMs don't really work as well without a bike...they're just too easy to escape and gun down.

Elites: Ironclads > Venerables/Regular Dreds. AV13 is CRITICAL. Also, never mix roles. Whatever type of Dreadnought it is, it should never have something like MG+HF. Think about it, one will always be used in a non-optimal manner this way. Suicide Sternguard can also work quite well is pod armies. Something like:

x5 Sternguard: x5 Combi-Plasma, pod- 205

Troops: Brother, taking weapon upgrades on sgts just doesn't work for the points. Against anything worth it's salt you're never going to get to swing. The value of a sgt is to be able to challenge in the stead of a more valuable character, i.e. an HQ. As for the tacs themselves, same rules apply as with the dreads: keep their role focused.

Fast Attack: AA is a typical weakness in a pod list, you caught on nicely with the addition of a talon. But run them in 2s. Also don't neglect the 95 point burner option of a 5-man assault squad with double flamer in a free pod. It comes in, wastes a scoring unit and forces your opponent to deal with a unit that means nothing to you.

Heavy Support: Whirlwinds = Never. Ever. 1) They're bad, 2) More importantly, there are better options. TFCs augment your anti-personnel firepower on the cheap. Grav Centurions provide extremely deadly firepower while providing such a huge and vital distraction early from your T1 podded units who are stranded in front of your opponent's army.

That's a quick run down. Just my .02
    Rule #1 is Look Cool. Rule #2 is Do Cool S*%* Even If It's Tactically Inadvisable. Winning is something like Rule #17.

Chapter-Master

Actually, intercepting Ion Accelerators are easy to deal with. Interceptor shots won't benefit from markerlights, so BS3 and you get your cover saves. He shouldn't be able to fire a blast, because you should drop right next to one of his units and move 1" away so the blast would hit his own models. And 3 Ap2 shots with cover saves at BS3 is not at all scary. And remember that they can only ever fire one gun, ever, outside of their own movement phase, so units like Broadsides have significantly reduced firepower. Interceptor is overrated as a hard counter to Drop Pods.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

I've been running pods for about a year now, in pretty competitive tournaments and here's the stuff I've found: Thunderfire cannons are amazing, and almost an autotake for any army (I would take them over your whirlwinds). Sternguard are great, but expensive. Take advantage of the fact they can take heavy flamers for 10 points. Also, adding in space wolf allies for some drop pod rune priests will make short work of MC and riptides.

Quote Originally Posted by KAPcom View Post
    Also, adding in space wolf allies for some drop pod rune priests will make short work of MC and riptides.
    Good tactic for now, but when new wolf codex comes out thats one of first things thats gonna be gone or jaws is a power to be rolled for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast