BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by wh14sxb View Post
    Also remember when facing Tau. They can up BS, BUT the FAQ states you can never in crease the BS of snap shots.

Q: Can the BS1 of a Snap Shot ever be modified by special rules
    that modify the BS of a model’s Shooting attack (such as Space
    Marine Signums or Sergeant Telion’s Voice of Experience)? (p13)
    A: No.

So moving sniper rifles on kroots he wouldnt be able to hit on 4's. Not that it would've made a big deal this time, but can't help out against flyers with simple marker light bonuses. That is correct how I am reading that right?

Awesome batrep btw. I look forward to facing nids.
    Tau markerlight rules specifically say they can be used to increase Snap Shots and overwatch in their description. The rules for which were released following the FAQ errata you are referring to that applies to basic rulebook, meaning the Tau codex rules would take precedence.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    Aren't Broadsides counted?
    Just XV-8s, you have to take a mandatory team of them as Troops.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    Just XV-8s, you have to take a mandatory team of them as Troops.
    Yup. Otherwise I would run a stealth suit army.

Oh and I wasn't gonna say it earlier, but not even really reading the report I doubted the Tau would win. I never see a list like that. Not one marker light in the whole army for starters and a heavy reliance on heavy support and riptides. I could beat that list with any decent army list with any of my armies.

Also you had a good nid list which took advantage of his lack of non marker lights. Now beat a real Tau list against a good Tau player than I'll give you props.
    Last edited by chicop76; 01-27-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Ok, 1st of all the army was legal he had 3 hqs but he made it legal somehow probably with the broadsides, dno much about tau so dont judge me on a name mistake of a unit This guy is 1 of the top tau players in Malta, we're going up for ETC in serbia this summer, hes already been there last year so I believe he has some experience and knows how to use a tau list. He was going to play vs another buddy of mine who plays basically kairos, 2 deamon princes of tzeentch, 3 helldrakes and sme marines here and there but when I arrived I begged him to play as I wanted to playtest my army against tau, normally hed have farsight with 1 riptide, 2 units of 3 broadsides and some other changes, or a taudar list, this was a different list, he never used sniper drones before and never used 2 ethereals but anyway, he had marker lights in the commanders units and quite alot at that and he also had quite a few in the sniper drone unit and im preeeetttyy sure he wanted to playtest the potential there was in having sniper drones with pulse weaponry added with the thing the ethereal gives to pjlse weaponry that when within rapid fire range they fire an extra shot, so thatd be 3 shots from each sniper drone, rending, unfortuantely for him I burned all his snipers turn 1 with my drool cannons, maybe next time hell deploy more backwards and that cudve changed things, remember it was his 1st game vs the new nids too. All I want to say to all tau and eldar players is this, I find it unfair that when we do manage to beat those said armies its down to luck or a bad opponent, thats unfair as any listnis beatable with the right tactics. What I can say is this, IMHO if u want to show that you are a good player, dont play tau or eldar, play any other army and dont play the OP, broken ones, win with them, time and time again against these 1 click win armies then u can call urself a good player
    Last edited by Dave Caruana; 01-27-2014 at 10:12 AM.

First-Captain

Let's see I played Tau since they came out in 2003 with a lot of metal in my army. I still have my 3rd edition Tau codex lying some where. Not my fault GW decided to make them good now. Picked up Eldar and Nids in 4th edition so I can play an army with melee options. Oh I forgot I had a Necron army in 4th, sold it for more Tau lol. Also in 4th I picked up Daemons when they first came out, also due to Escalation I pick up a Marine bike and assault marine army, when you can use assault marines as troops. Also in 4th I started collecting sisters, guard, and grey knights. In 5th I played Daemons a lot with my Guard alliance with grey knights and sisters.

Thinking about it more so. I didn't pick up any new armies since 4th edition and just been adding to my collection in 5th and 6th editions. Would had picked up Dark Eldar in 5th/6th if Daemons and Tau didn't change so much.

All that being said I think a good player would play way more than one army and know how each army works before he have to face it. Looking at the Tau list it's not really all that good. It seems to do good against a certain type of meta that's all.

Also me and three people pointed out that the broadsides don't meet the requirements as to taking O'shova as allies. To take O'Shova as allies he have to take one hq and one troop at least, also you have to take 3 crisis suits as troops. Plus all units must take bonding knives.

I have the O'Shova codex on my book shelf to quote if you want me too. I'm just saying against the Tau list I seen in different tournaments and my own tau experience I don't see that nid list fairing well against them.

Well tbh not many nid lists fair well against any tau list hence why u shud play 1 of ur other armies since u basically make a gd list and auto win, maybe not against eldar but against every1 else thats hw it almost always is, hence why u shud use ur other armies and 'show how rly gd u are by beating tau lists u know so well since u played them for so long

Chaplain

Adding to what was already said the only way he could have had 3 HQ legally is with O'Shova allies which would have required a unit of at least 3 Crisis XV-8 suits which is what was being pointed out. It was simply being pointed out that the Tau list wasn't one that was a FOC legal build at 1850 points and Broadsides can't make it so.

Also I should point out the ethereal joined to a riptide would be considered Toughness 6(due to majority Toughness of the unit) this not something you would be able to Instant Death with a smash attack.

The 10 "Sniper drones" maybe were gun drones? with 24" Assault 2 shooting range and BS 2, otherwise not a legal unit

Where were all the markerlight hits coming from again? the commanders's 2 drones? you would have needed at least 3 markerlight hits for the Kroot to get +3BS on snap shots

Sorry gotta agree that this Tau list was fubared from the get go, poorly built also not 1850 FOC legal, and from the description of how the battle was played out, played incorrectly.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 01-27-2014 at 11:03 AM.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    Adding to what was already said the only way he could have had 3 HQ legally is with O'Shova allies which would have required a unit of at least 3 Crisis XV-8 suits which is what was being pointed out. It was simply being pointed out that the Tau list wasn't one that was a FOC legal build at 1850 points and Broadsides can't make it so.

Also I should point out the ethereal joined to a riptide would be considered Toughness 6(due to majority Toughness of the unit) this not something you would be able to Instant Death with a smash attack
    I am thinking of doing 3 broadsides, Riptide IC, and Irdidium support commander in a unit. They will all be toughness 6 and with the Riptide and commander up front you can easily allocate wounds. Due to both assault move you can shift them so you can alternative who you as closer too each turn which you can spread the wounds. You would probably never kill off the Unit, unless you assaulted it.

Did I miss something. How you use a a Drool cannon in the first turn?

Oh playing with Tau a lot makes it easier for me to face Tau and exploit their weakness. I thought Eldar would be a good match vs Tau, but I proved that wrong several times, I have faced serpent spam, but no Wraithknights.

To answer an earlier question I probably kill the Crones first since they are far easier to kill than a hive tyrant. Not saying the tyrant is less of a threat. It all really depends. For example my seeker missiles will go for the Tyrant every time over a cone.

Thanks to nids and looking at a friend use Tau I am seriously thinking of using two skyrays.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    Also I should point out the ethereal joined to a riptide would be considered Toughness 6(due to majority Toughness of the unit) this not something you would be able to Instant Death with a smash attack.
    You got that wrong. Joining the Riptide makes the Ethereal T6 for the purposes of rolling to wound. It does *not* replace the Ethereal's Toughness Characteristic.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chaplain

Agreed I had that interpretation wrong T6 for rolls to wound w/ a chance to Look Out sir on a 2+ but not ID proof

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast