BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1,850 Tyranids - No Flyrants!

I am looking for a little feedback on my new list. I'm using only 2nd edition models (the Venomthropes, Tervigon, and Tyrant Guard are converted), so no Flyrants!

HQ
    Hive Tyrant 220
    -Stranglethorn Cannon, Bonesword & Lashwhip, Hive Commander
    2 Tyrant Guard 100

Deathleaper 130

Elites
    2 Venomthropes 90
    2 Venomthropes 90

Troops
    Tervigon 195

30 Termagants 120

15 Hormagaunts 120
    -Toxin Sacs

3 Warriors 100
    -Barbed Strangler
    3 Warriors 100
    -Barbed Strangler

Fast Attack
    Hive Crone 155

5 Spore Mines 25

Heavy Support
    Carnifex 135
    -Adrenal Glands
    Carnifex 135
    -Adrenal Glands
    Carnifex 135
    -Adrenal Glands

Total: 1,850

Is 4 Venomthropes too many? I was going to take single model units, but I fear they will be too easy to destroy. Single models are easier to hide, though. Any suggestions regarding the Venomthropes?

Is Deathleaper worth taking? I really like the idea of a hard to kill disruption unit. The Ld reducing ability is also very useful against enemy psykers.

Some thoughts:

1. 4 venomthropes is probably too much. They aren't durable and if you are clever yes you can keep them alive unless you run into "ignores cover" etc (which there is plenty of). Obviously there ability is too strong to ignore so def take 1-2 (probably 2) MAYBE 3 but certainly not 4 imo. Too much for something that could hit a wall and be worth nothing OR be successful but the 4 seems overkill in that case.
    2. Deathleaper is arguably OK IF you are using it to the max. You aren't deep striking here so his infiltrate/deepstrike abilities seem rather pointless here. Sure his LD debuff is nice but as a HQ slot? prob not. better to grab a prime and allow him to buff one of your units for just about the same points but with synapse and if with warriors the ability to raise their bs/ws.
    3. Are those dakka carnis? If not, get them! 36 twinlinked brainleech ftw

Decent list but I fear at 1850 some lists are going to flatten you fairly easily. Consider finding points for things like a trio of biovores (objective/horde control). Probably make your carni's a unit of 3 and find points for something like a mawloc so you can have a presence in the backfield and challenge implacements etc. As it stands your army isn't particularly fast with really only your crone and hormogaunts acting as anything mobile. That is OK if you make up for it but your army isn't really fantastic at shooting OR cc so you just probably go mid map and die there.
    Member of team Zer0Comp and the website www.frontlinegaming.org