BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Flyers and LOS for cover

So I played against neurons and was told if a flyer can see your base then no cover save for behind cover, area terrain still legit. Is that right?

Also at what point does an aegis Not provide cover? As in if I can see all of a wave serpent, but it's behind an ADL does he get the 4+?

You get a cover save if 25% of the target is obscured from view from the model shooting.

In your first case, if the flyer can see your base, there's a good chance the target is not 25% obscurred. Area terrain still provides a cover save regardless.

Aegis follows the normal rules for terrain, if you can see more than 75% of the vehicle facing you're shooting at, it does not recieve a cover save from cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaade View Post
    You get a cover save if 25% of the target is obscured from view from the model shooting.

In your first case, if the flyer can see your base, there's a good chance the target is not 25% obscurred. Area terrain still provides a cover save regardless.

Aegis follows the normal rules for terrain, if you can see more than 75% of the vehicle facing you're shooting at, it does not recieve a cover save from cover.
    I have a friend who claims "All models behind an ADL receive a 4+ cover." Wraith knights and all.

At tournaments do they impose the 25% rule on models behind ADL's?

Quote Originally Posted by wh14sxb View Post
    I have a friend who claims "All models behind an ADL receive a 4+ cover." Wraith knights and all.

At tournaments do they impose the 25% rule on models behind ADL's?
    Yes, those are the rules in the main rulebook. You need 25% cover for LOS purposes, or to be in any part of area cover (for units with wounds... vehicles still need 25% concealment to take advantage of area cover). Your friend is mistaken, and I can't think that any tournament would use his interpretation.

I once played a guy who claimed ANYTHING behind his ADL could use the save.

Including his Riptide.

(I kid you not,) ON A HILL BEHIND THE GROUND LEVEL AEGIS.

Personally we play you get the save 4" behind it. I feel that's appropriate.

Brother-Captain

Cover rules are the same for everything. 25%+ of the model covered, from the point of view of the firer, you get cover. Any less than 25%, no cover. The other is area terrain. Two classifications. No more, no less. An Aegis is just a piece of cover that grants a 4+ cover save in the same way as any cover, which is to say it has to cover 25% of the model to provide said save.

If a model is far away from the aegis line but is still covering at least 25% of the model from the firers point of view, it gets cover, you're still trying to shoot over the wall. A Wraithknight or Riptide is never going to get cover behind an Aegis unless the Aegis is raised up on a hill or something, they're just too big otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    Cover rules are the same for everything. 25%+ of the model covered, from the point of view of the firer, you get cover. Any less than 25%, no cover. The other is area terrain. Two classifications. No more, no less. An Aegis is just a piece of cover that grants a 4+ cover save in the same way as any cover, which is to say it has to cover 25% of the model to provide said save.

If a model is far away from the aegis line but is still covering at least 25% of the model from the firers point of view, it gets cover, you're still trying to shoot over the wall. A Wraithknight or Riptide is never going to get cover behind an Aegis unless the Aegis is raised up on a hill or something, they're just too big otherwise.

So out of interest, and let me say I know that this is RAW, but am I getting a cover save from your aegis too? I accept troops right up against it can use the fire ports or shoot over, but 6" behind? 10" behind can do the same thing? It doesn't feel right to me.

It's just a fence. Depending on the angles involved, it can absolutely grant cover both ways.

Remember that models shoot from their eyes*, but have to shoot at the entire silhouette** of the target model. If your eye lasers can't hit more than 75% of the target silhouette because something is in the way, the target gets a cover save - even if it's from "your" Aegis line. In fact, with most models, this is extraordinarily likely if the shooter isn't hugging the Aegis. A firing model who is even 2" back from an Aegis line is quite likely to find that the Aegis obstructs his target.

* Except for vehicles, which shoot from their guns.
    ** Except weapons, ornaments, banners, wings, tails, antennae, and other such extraneous elements.