BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Default Daboarder's How To's: DIY! SPORE MINES!

Hey all,

With the advent of the new codex, and the still awesome biovores, combined with the even more awesome Spore mines clusters (great way of forcing your opponent out of an area, or forcing them to dedicate units to shooting them) I've been wondering how to get my mitts on LOTS of the funky things (I'm a big fan of spawn swarm lists).

We had that article recently and it sorts seemed redundant given that you still required a spore mine to do the conversion, so I sat down the other day and mucked around, ended up with a nice little method of banging our lots of nice unique sporemines quickly and cheaply.

It's so easy, and I'm so happy with the results that I figured I had to share.

STEP 1

Roll some greenstuff into a small ball, the sizes are up to you but I'd recommend to aim for approximately the size of a SM helmet. Allow it to dry for around 30-40 mins

STEP 2
    Next roll out a number of long sausages of greensstuff, tapper the ends off to form long thin cones, they should aim to be around 2-3 mm thick at widest points and as long you want, varying between SM height and shorter.

STEP 3
    Glue a piece of wire to the original ball, then take the "tentacles" one at a time and stick them to the underside of the balls. Twirl and arrange them around the supporting wire.

STEP 4
    Using a pointed tool, press it gently into the base of each tentacle and drag them down and out, creating a stretched effect.
    Last edited by daboarder; 01-27-2014 at 03:21 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

STEP 5

Roll out a very long thin piece of greenstuff,

STEP 6

Wrap the thin piece around the base of the ball where the tentacles meet, then using your tool press the outside edge of the roll down and smooth it into the ball, disguising the joint. Then gently tap the inside edges of the line, creating some indentation and character to the area.

STEP 7
    After gluing the wire onto an appropriate base, take another small green stuff sausage (a slightly thicker one) and press it flat against the top of the ball, ensure the material stays smooth.

STEP 8
    Taking a edged tool cut an angled V shape into the greenstuff.
    Last edited by daboarder; 01-27-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

STEP 9
    Continue this up the roll of greenstuff until you have 5 "plates" (Because nids all have 5 head plates)

STEP 10
    Using your edged tool cleen up the first and last plate buy cutting the edges, if needed trim the edges of the inside plates.

STEP 11
    Taking a small ball of greenstuff stick it onto the side of the larger ball.

STEP 12
    Smooth the edges of the ball into the body in the same way tat you did with the bottom line.
    Last edited by daboarder; 01-27-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Chapter-Master

STEP 13
    Taking a pointed tool, press it into the center of the ball, work the edges a little bit creating a hole.]

STEP 14
    Repeat this a few times spread over the body of the spore, aim the vents gently towards the back edge of the spore mine.

STEP 15

Repeat this as often as required to create an almost limitless supply of spore mines. Mix them up by trying different body shapse, vent sizes and locations, heights and head plates.

edit: Don't be too worried about fingerprints on the main body of the spore, they add a nice organic texture to the body of the spores.
    Last edited by daboarder; 01-27-2014 at 03:14 AM.

Now this thread? This is what this
    [url]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/01/hobby-making-your-own-spore-mines.html[/url]
    should have been.

Good work.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Occuli Imperator

Yes, I concur.

Much more informative especially if you don't happen to have spore mines already.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Sergeant

Nice tutorial! I think spore mines have the potential to make for some interesting strategies, a cheap threat that your opponent will probably want to ignore but shouldn't.
    Richard | Co-Host: Preferred Enemies Podcast | www.preferredenemies.com

First-Captain

Nice. Too bad I have a ton of those guys throw years of getting them free. Like gun drones with tau.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    Nice. Too bad I have a ton of those guys throw years of getting them free. Like gun drones with tau.
    Is there any non stick gloves. I was debating on using gloves with oil with green stuff, to get rid of finger prints. I was just wondering what people die to get around the prints problem.

Chapter-Master

there are, but I find the loss of fine feeling in your fingertips isn't worth it, usually the best way if just wet your finger and smooth out the area with that or a tool, as I said I didn't for these because I like the look.

Here's one I painted, very fun and quick to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast