BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

I guess GW will never release the full details of the two lost legions. The whole speculation thing is probably better for them long run as it will continue to generate interest for a very long time.

I agree with you on that one. Part of the fun with those two is that we don't know. These kind of things are part of the genius of the 40k universe. If they came out and told us all about them, it would be mind-blowingly cool for a while, then it would wear off and we would have one less mystery to ponder.

Just my two cents.

Also agreed with DeKrovar - it is part of the fun.
    I think that GW had one of the two ideas about them upon creation:
    - let keep iit secret and gave the people out there a reason to make interesting discusion
    - let keep 2 slots of priomarch unocupied for now - amaybe we will need them for something later if we need to

And please remember that probably Sigmar was one of the missed primarchs (he was found in wildernes after twin tiled commet apears on the havens) which bring us to the question (newer oficially answered one way or another by GW) if Old world is part of 40K uniwerse? Probably on werge of Eye of Terror.

umm sigmar was not found in the wilderness... at least not in the current stuff.
    He is portrayed as a normal bloke who hitches himself to the spirit of the land - that's how I see it.
    However there seems to be a link with the Lizardmen stuff about Old Ones. What has been changed there is that the collapse seems to no longer to be connected to rise of Slaanesh.

I posted in another thread with a similar topic. My theory is it goes along a Cain and Abel story line but only with legions of Space Marines. Russ destroys Cain's legion with the survivors of Abels folded into Guillimans Ultramarines. This would explain why some of the 2nd founding marines have such a different mindset.(Mortifactors, picking certain worlds to become fortress monasteries)

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Also agreed with DeKrovar - it is part of the fun.
    I think that GW had one of the two ideas about them upon creation:
    - let keep iit secret and gave the people out there a reason to make interesting discusion
    - let keep 2 slots of priomarch unocupied for now - amaybe we will need them for something later if we need to

And please remember that probably Sigmar was one of the missed primarchs (he was found in wildernes after twin tiled commet apears on the havens) which bring us to the question (newer oficially answered one way or another by GW) if Old world is part of 40K uniwerse? Probably on werge of Eye of Terror.
    40k and WFB are not part of the same universe in current "canon".

Upon creation, they almost certainly left them unknown for the express purpose of giving players some room to make their own founding chapters. It's a semi-common approach by game universe designers to nominate a portion of their universe to not be further developed in official materials to allow players to play in the official universe while also developing their own materials.

The HH series has pretty much killed that. It's now official (to the extent HH is canon) that the other chapters were absent by the time of the events of the heresy and likely that the Wolves were the executioners of at least one of those chapters.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Initiate
    Good question. Demons ate the Farseers and my compass broke.

The two lost legions are the Alpha Legion. Yeah, they're that good.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Autarch View Post
    The two lost legions are the Alpha Legion. Yeah, they're that good.
    Thanks.
    Today sucked at work and I needed that laugh.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightSilver View Post
    If you want to know about the origins of the Blood Ravens read Chris Wraight's short story "Rebirth" in the Horus Heresy Short Story Collection "Age of Darkness".

That pretty much confirms they were originally Thousand Sons who escaped the Rubric of Ahriman.

As for the two missing Legions they are most definitely based on the missing Roman Legions (not counting the 9th Legion as this was recently debunked).

Therefore one of them will be based on Armenius, a Roman General who commanded a Legion who pretended to be loyal to Rome, only to lure another Legion into a trap and wiped them out.

I suspect the story of the missing legions is similar. One Primarch bent the knee to the Emperor whilst secretly despising him, the other an incompetent general who was led into a trap.

I would imagie that the Wolves were then sent in to wipe out the traitor Primarch.

There is also an interesting hint in one of the novels with regards to what happened to the Astartes warriors from the missing Legions. It is hinted that they were subsumed into the ranks of the Ultramarines.

It may not be a coincidence that the 2nd and 11th Legions now form part of the 13th (2 +11 = 13).
    +1 likes for this. I don't know about the roman legions stuff, but one killed the other and was then later executed fits in my world.

Ever since my young teenage self read the codex imperialis from the 2nd edition box I connected with the missing legions being as my birthday is November 2nd. And always figured them to be chaos. I've not kept up with the fluff and for all I know what I read from then is totally out of date. But it strikes me as odd that it specifically states that all records of them were removed following the heresy, when as far as I know the traitors suffered the same fate for the betraying the emperor.

Librarian

Im starting to think are beloved Emperor ate them or worse they got pluged in to the golden throne

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast