BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Tyranid Heavy support choice?

Im having trouble finalizing a list and it boils down to one issue.

I have a slot in my Heavy support. Currently i have 1 Mawloc and a unit of Biovores but i dont know whats going in that last one. Its definitely between either an Exocrine or a Second Mawloc so please no suggestions of Carnifex Mobs (id like to but cant find the points), Trygons (not much of a fan) or Tyrannofexes (I think the Exocrine out-shoots it).

The questions is which to go with? The list is currently pencilled in with an Exocrine so if i do change to a second Mawloc i have 40 points to play with but both give me a good AP2 Pie Plate on a sturdy body but...

Mawloc
    +Pie Plate ignores Cover and hits Twice
    +Comes from reserve so cant be taken out before it does its damage
    +Can redeploy across the board quickly
    -Is stuck in reserve, so may be late to show up.
    -Misshap CAN work in my favour but will cost me a Mawloc from time to time but at least AFTER its done its damage.
    -Isnt that special when its actually on the board.

Exocine
    +More powerfull blast
    +Large body to hide other units behind (Venomthropes)
    +Starts on the Board so gets to work as soon as its in range
    -Only medium range gun and poor Ballistic Skill if Mobile
    -Can be focussed on and removed before it gets to do any damage
    -Doesnt ignore cover so can be ineffective on heavy Cover boards.

Anything ive missed?

Id just like to get some opinions other than my own because im literally coin tossing right now.
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 01-27-2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Title change

Chapter-Master

Spamming Mawlocks is overrated. Exocrine.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I'd agree with DarkLink, go with the Exocrine. The threat of a Mawloc almost does more than than the Mawloc itself, and one does that just fine. The Exocrine has done admirably in all of the games I've had him in.

First-Captain

Taking two Mawlocks isn't a bad ideal since you are relying on scatter dice to make it useful and two would be better in one, unless you don't scatter often . Also it gives you the option now o have an anti tank unit to possibly assault a tank the following turn.

The Exocrine is ok. Limited range will see half your desired targets staying out its range, unless they noob or stupid. Anyway if he could teleport or deep strikes or even outflank I would think more positive about the unit.

When it comes to nids heavy support I miss my sniperfexes that had like 2 strength 10 hits and a strength 8 pie plate, glancing only back than wasn't bad since at least the vehicle couldn't shoot or do anything.

I find the nid heavy support to be ;*(.

Admittedly the main draw of the Mawloc for me is the ignore cover part. I love 'bunker busting' the Aegis Armies but i suppose I already have the Biovores to help with that.

More Gunbeasts HO!

Veteran-Sergeant

Surely if you land on an Aegis you'll eventually have to mishap due to being unable to place the model on the board?

Mishap is a gift IMO.

You die on a 1. That's bad.

Opponent places and if you're alive you burrow next turn.

Ongoing reserve then it's a case of rinse and repeat. A gift.

You already have a Barrage unit and a Deep Strike unit to hit hidden opponents. I think that an Exocrine for direct firepower would be a better fit at this point.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by GravesDisease View Post
    Surely if you land on an Aegis you'll eventually have to mishap due to being unable to place the model on the board?
    As long as the Mawloc has killed all the enemy models, the defense line itself really wouldn't be in-passable terrain or an enemy model (it's battle field debris) it would trigger a dangerous terrain check that MCs will auto pass with 'move through cover' any other concerns of actually physically placing the model on the table fall under 'wobbly model syndrome.'
    Richard | Co-Host: Preferred Enemies Podcast | www.preferredenemies.com

Trygon PRIME?

Portable synapse?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast