BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Scout

anyone had luck with the iPad version?
    all I get is the front cover!

At least you lot can "see" it. I downloaded Visions and now only get the cover page and the page that tells me to flip my iPad sideways. Nothing else

As usual it appears GW didn't even bother to ask their customers what they might like to see in their magazines. I quit buying WD a while back and frankly, no reason to start it back up IMO.

Grade: F

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Tuatara View Post
    At least you lot can "see" it. I downloaded Visions and now only get the cover page and the page that tells me to flip my iPad sideways. Nothing else
    yep, that is what I get... trying again...

Librarian

thanks for reveiws definetly gonna skip issues until I here there something worthwhile for me in them

The trouble that I see with the weekly White Dwarf (I used to work for an independant stockist) is that stores aren't going to want to carry something that people are constantly just cherry-picking the issues they want. It was bad enough with a monthly magazine (LOTR = NO SALES, extra rules for 40k = GONE FIRST DAY) and it's going to be even worse with them showing up weekly. They've basically doubled the price for getting white dwarf (was around $11 a month here, now it will be over $20) and they've made it even easier to just buy the exact content they want. Which sounds great until the store realizes that they have a hundred backissue magazines full of garbage (again, LOTR) that has cost them around $600 to buy (about a 40% margin on those magazines if it's like it used to be). If I had a gaming store I wouldn't carry it at all except maybe as a subscription service (forcing people to buy all the issues).

I got both in the mail today. Visions for having a subscription to the old White Dwarf, and a bonus new White Dwarf. I am so happy my subscription ended this month. Definitely not going to renew if every Visions is going to be similar to this one. The new White Dwarf does look nice though but I doubt I'll pick up any save as an impulse buy.

Battle-Brother

I can't speak to Visions, but I did get a copy of the new weekly White Dwarf, and it'll likely be my last.
    The magazine is 32 pages, plus two pages for the inside covers. It's very nicely produced, but like the old monthly WD, it's almost content-free.
    Here's the breakdown: one page is the "Opening Salvo" article (basically, how great the new WD is), the next page is the table of contents. Next is a series of two-page articles on new Dwarf units, but they're just pictures and vague descriptions of how great they are...that's 12 pages. The next item is a four-page article on Tyranids, which (unbelievably!) concentrates on the new units and how great they are.
    So that's 18 pages, and no content so far.
    Next is a two-page "Paint Spatter" article on painting Dwarves (content at last!). The next two pages are the "Sprues and Glue" article, ostensibly about hobby techniques but so basic as to be useless. This is at least an attempt at content, maybe it'll be better in the future....
    Next up is one page of rules for Belegar Ironhammer, along with a page of GW writers analyzing the unit. So there's a page of content, and a page of semi-content.
    The next two pages are the "Designers Notes", the two Dwarfs designers talking about how they designed the minis...interesting to some, perhaps, but from a content point of view, pretty marginal.
    "The Week in White Dwarf" is the next four pages...it's called "a round-up of the week as we share comment, opinion, and trivia on all the latest releases." Two of the pages are entirely content-free, while the other two have at least some (some fluff, a question on unit strategy, a couple of nice pictures, and a half-page ad for a BL book).
    The next page is "Hobby in the White Dwarf Bunker," three pictures of nicely done models (and guess what--two are Tyranids!).
    In summary, out of 34 pages, I count four pages of real content, another 2-3 of marginal content, and the rest is just an ad for GW products.
    So what we have here is even less content than before, and it costs twice as much...sound familiar?
    The inside back cover is an ad for Warhammer: Visions.
    So out of 34 pages, I make it No content here....
    The next twoI can't really count it as content.

Battle-Brother

Default New White Dwarf, worse than the old White Dwarf

Sorry, I fat-fingered a cut-and-paste at the end, here's the corrected post....

I can't speak to Visions, but I did get a copy of the new weekly White Dwarf, and it'll likely be my last.
    The magazine is 32 pages, plus two pages for the inside covers. It's very nicely produced, but like the old monthly WD, it's almost content-free.
    Here's the breakdown: one page is the "Opening Salvo" article (basically, how great the new WD is), the next page is the table of contents. Next is a series of two-page articles on new Dwarf units, but they're just pictures and vague descriptions of how great they are...that's 12 pages. The next item is a four-page article on Tyranids, which (unbelievably!) concentrates on the new units and how great they are.
    So that's 18 pages, and no content so far.
    Next is a two-page "Paint Spatter" article on painting Dwarves (content at last!). The next two pages are the "Sprues and Glue" article, ostensibly about hobby techniques but so basic as to be useless. This is at least an attempt at content, maybe it'll be better in the future....
    Next up is one page of rules for Belegar Ironhammer, along with a page of GW writers analyzing the unit. So there's a page of content, and a page of semi-content.
    The next two pages are the "Designers Notes", the two Dwarfs designers talking about how they designed the minis...interesting to some, perhaps, but from a content point of view, pretty marginal.
    "The Week in White Dwarf" is the next four pages...it's called "a round-up of the week as we share comment, opinion, and trivia on all the latest releases." Two of the pages are entirely content-free, while the other two have at least some (some fluff, a question on unit strategy, a couple of nice pictures, and a half-page ad for a BL book).
    The next page is "Hobby in the White Dwarf Bunker," three pictures of nicely done models (and guess what--two are Tyranids!).
    The inside back cover is an ad for Warhammer: Visions.
    In summary, out of 34 pages, I count four pages of real content, another 2-3 of marginal content, and the rest is just an ad for GW products.
    So what we have here is even less content than before, and it costs twice as much...sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    yep, that is what I get... trying again...
    Finally managed to get it. Had to reload White Dwarf in the News Stand app and then it downloaded it again. Now, off to have a look.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast