BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Help Build A Competitive Eldar Army List For Throne of Skulls

James Tighe who is a wargaming columnist for At Tha Movies is a fluff player who needs help building a competitive Eldar army list for this year's Throne of Skulls tournament.

To make things a little more difficult, James has given himself a budget of £50.00, nut intends to use some of his existing models.

You can check out James' army list and offer your suggestions via the following link: [URL="http://atthamovies.com/help-me-build-a-competitive-eldar-army-list/"]Help Me Build A Competitive Eldar Army List[/URL]
    At Tha Movies - All things geek including: movies, tv, video games, wargaming and more! http://atthamovies.com

Chaplain

Comments on the options

x3 War Walkers that I can kit out any way I want.
    Take them with scatter lasers it TL's the missile launcher add flakk missiles, air threat sorted.

x10 Scorpions – x1 Exarch
    Very good CC option but difficult to get into assault, possibly load a 6dar team in a Falcon

x10 Banshees – x1 Exarch
    Too weak and fragile to achieve anything.

x10 Fire Dragons – x1 Exarch
    Too expensive & short ranged. If the enemy sees them coming they're toast.

x10 Rangers
    Either these or Dark Reapers for ranged firepower - cheaper but Reapers are worth the points, though a 5dar squad is scoring and cheap

x10 Swooping Hawks
    Ditch these, a girly points sink that never wins back its outlay - unless you need bodies to climb over

x8 Dark Reapers
    See rangers, these are a good save, now relentless, good range and firepower but may be to many points in the force. I would limit to 5 though

x4 Falcons
    Load up with scatter laser and holo field - can shift a 6dar unit across the field and you TL the pulse laser because of Laser Lock. I like them better than Serpents unless you have a big squad to move.

x10 Eldar Jet Bikes
    I like these, cheaper than they were, high speed, complete with bladestorm, tougher, and 3+ and jink saves and a scoring unit, squeeze some in.

x1 Vyper
    Nice as an outrigger for the Falcon or Serpent, but only if you have the points and can afford Holofields

x2 Farseers
    These are better options than the Avatar who may withstand the might of meltas but will get snuffed by auto cannon & missile fire. The difficulty for Farseers is which psych table to roll on.

x2 Wraithlords
    Eldar have a lot of good heavy units, but they cost and you can only take 3 options which means one of the options above would have to go. But this choice is a better choice by far over the Avatar, tougher, longer shooting range, stronger with ghost glaive. I think Phil Kelly wanted to ditch the Avatar but was not allowed so he overpriced it.

x6 Wraith Guard
    Don't know what versions you have but nice range, tough and can be troops if you field a Spiritseer, (Possible spending option)

Jar Zar Maugan Ra Karandras Eldrad
    In a 1500 point game Eldrad solves your HQ and psycher problem while ditching the Avatar who does not come close to matching up.

As for Warlocks, you could buy two or three more and field them as a council. This in my recent experience is the best way to use their psychic ability. Rolling for the group means you're odds on to get at least 3 good psychic powers. And those maledictions in the right place and time could turn the tide. They do not bring anything to a unit now because you can't use the power of your choice, they cost heaps and have no better leadership than the standard Guardian Defender, (For a psyker?? go figure). But if you keep the Avatar as HQ choice, these can sit behind him and rejuvenate those lost wounds if you roll destructor/renewer

I prefer Guardian Defenders over Dire Avengers and with the farseer bolstering them they can rock. 20dar squads are a bit big for cover though maybe squads of 12 with the heavy weapon of your choice. I like star cannon because of the range and AP2 to toast termies but you could field 3 units with variation in the heavy. They are also dodgy to charge now because of overwatch & bladestorm.

Serpents - meh only if you need a transport for your wraithguard.
    Last edited by Da Gargoyle; 02-05-2014 at 01:35 AM.

if budget is a problem, just pile on the guardians, squads of 20, with two weapons platforms to taste and a warlock per unit soon chews through the points, bank in two maxed out farseers on jetbikes ... or autarchs if you prefer and i reckon you can run a footdar list for not too many dollars... reckon you might need to enjoy painting though

another really cheap option is to take DE allies ... they are a bit dodgy on foot tactically , but again squads of 20, reasonable weapons options, plenty of variety, i actually like 25 kymhera and five masters in a unit ... 360 pts ... one unit... buff them with a farseer or a DE character or pheonix lord... see some squirming...

A unit of 6 hawks is one of the best things you can buy. Perfect deep strike followed by battle focus means you can contest people's objectives perfectly in the endgame, they're great to kill scoring and they also have a great threat radius vs armour with the haywire. I'd grab an extra box so you can field two squads.
    Serpents are better than falcons. I have 4 falcons sat in my box at home, they simply don't do the job as well- scatters/cannon/shield does around 10 hits a turn and also solves the aa threat with that much high str twin linked shooting.
    War walkers are good, and with double bright lance or scatter/bright lance they really fill a hole in the army.
    As a hq, the farseer on a bike with Mantle of the laughing god and singing spear is a great and survivable choice!
    Also take 3x 3 Windrider Jetbikes as well, it's impossible to overstate how good they are.
    Hi, I'm Simon. Main army- Eldar, Craftworld Kan'di Khaine! Casual & tournament player with Vale Renegades @ Firestorm Games, Cardiff, Tuesdays!

just used shining spears for 1st time from new codex... was actually impressed ... though as always they die... would be nice if 'elite' bikes were T5 or had an iv save ...

but for a model av of 30pts they are still pretty decent ... though normally i prefer spiderz