BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Alternative 40k Events?

Has any thought been given to holding alternative events to the 7 rounder and the apoc stuff? I would really like to play beerhammer event one day, and a 3-4 round event another...... If nothing else, maybe just an event that is one day with only 3-4 rounds? I am NOT a fan of 7 rounds over 2 days. It is the difference between me attending and playing an event or two for sure, or me possibly not attending.....

Ideas I have had about it.
    Friday:
    Team Tourney (already happened previous years)
    BeerHammer Event
    8-16 person flights of 3-4 round events - various times throughout the day

Saturday:
    Day 1 of 7 rounder (already in place)
    Day 1 of 5 rounder "hobby"/"highlander" type event
    BeerHammer event
    Team Event of some sort 3-4 rounds varied points from Fridays event

Sunday:
    Day 2 of 7 rounder (already in place)
    Day 2 of 5 rounder "hobby"/"highlander" type event

That way you could have the 7 rounder for the more hard core and a number of additional events that people might enjoy instead of being pigeon holed into the 7 rounder or team events. This also allows for additional revenue as the more events someone plays in the more they pay to participate in those events. I also know that I am not the only one that is not a fan of the 7 rounder and could be why attendance has been down in recent years. 1 day events here and there would also allow for people that can only do one or two days to play in an event or even play in an event and be able to do something else they enjoy or want to participate in on another day.

Chapter-Master

My favorite kind of alternative events focus on alternative formats. So far, my FLGS has had traditional tournaments, one-day "narrative events," and long-running narrative campaigns. We've played traditional 40k, Apocalypse, Kill Team, and Cities of Death. I'm looking forward to Planestrike, Stronghold Assault, and maybe even Spearhead events.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

This is how Frontline Gaming is running the Las Vegas Open, and they're considering ideas for an even more flexible format for future events.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

We're doing some things to expand our Narrative ability for next year, possibly leading to an alternative tournament without involving Apoc for 2015. We will be doing Kill Team as close to 24/7 as we can, which lends itself to a relaxed weekend of constant gaming. We cannot officially endorse beerhammer. We have, however, arranged for $2 pints of Shiner for the weekend - how you use this awesomeness is your business.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Brother-Sergeant

I thought every game was beerhammer not just on Friday since it being $2 pints
    Shiner me!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post
    We're doing some things to expand our Narrative ability for next year, possibly leading to an alternative tournament without involving Apoc for 2015. We will be doing Kill Team as close to 24/7 as we can, which lends itself to a relaxed weekend of constant gaming. We cannot officially endorse beerhammer. We have, however, arranged for $2 pints of Shiner for the weekend - how you use this awesomeness is your business.

This is total win.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post
    This is Dan one of the guys helping out with the Narrative this year. To underscore what Jwolf said about Narrative. We are going to expand the Narrative with games that are Apoc, Kill Team and regular 40K formats. Kill Team is running Friday night and continuing on Saturday, Apoc and regular games Saturday and Sunday. So if you bring a Kill Team and a Regular list you can play in the Narrative all weekend (without having to face a Warhound Titan, unless you want to)! Our goal is to find fun games doing cool stuff for everyone who shows up to the Narrative.

-Dan

Brother-Sergeant

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. Will I need to register for narrative for Kill Team, or will Kill Team just be running on the side?

Quote Originally Posted by m3g4tr0n View Post
    Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. Will I need to register for narrative for Kill Team, or will Kill Team just be running on the side?
    Hey, this is Glenn, another of the Narrative-wranglers for this year.

There are Kill Team-sized games that are part of the Narrative. The Narrative event spans scales: Kill Team, "Normal" 40k, and Apocalypse. Every player registered for the Narrative may participate in any or all of these levels.

I believe there is a separate Kill Team event running over the course of the Con as well.

Brother-Sergeant

Okay, cool. Thanks for clarifying.