BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Scout

Well that escalated rather quickly. What is wrong with people? Here you have someone willing to answer some questions and then he starts getting a bunch of personal attacks about the pay he is happy to make? Guess that's why the original thread was shut down? A shame. It was really interesting to hear what Amabot was talking about.

Chapter-Master

$33k though would be closer to what an English small retail manager would get though generally about £17-18k iirc

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post

Um... excuse me? I feel like laughing so hard here. He cited $33K. Maybe if that's England money, 33K pounds would be okay.

Well, a friend just asked if I knew any entry-level web designers who would take a job that paid about that much. And he's a manager?
    That's about £20K a year. Slightly low, but not too bad. Not to belittle the guy, but his job is sitting in a shop selling plastic toys. How much do you think retail staff are paid in the UK?

You comparison is useless, in what way is working in a shop like designing web sites? Different job, different industries and different organisations have totally different wage structures. An entry level brain surgeon is paid way more than an entry level cleaner.

Furthermore I understand staff get a discount on GW products (I'd heard 50% but don't know if that is accurate) - so if he was going to spend money on GW stuff even if he worked elsewhere , then the net money in his pocket is higher.

Brother-Sergeant

The lowest 20 states' average pay is $46k or less, with two being less than $38k. If he works in WV or AL, he's actually earning a lucrative salary.

Most redshirts are younger -- they aren't 20 year veterans with kids to put through college. When I was 25, I made a little over that, and I live in one of the more expensive states.

The only issue is that there aren't too many routes to expansion or advancement, whereas I make twice that today.

I hope this dude doesn't get canned for this, from a PR perspective he's actually doing pretty good so far (explaining basic facts, keeping his personal opinions his, dispelling rumors, explaining to the customers and shareholders what exactly is being done with their money...)

While the customer base will always have a certain venom (redo X codex/unit, Matt Ward smells like hobos) I do think GW could benefit from a little two way communication...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Really not sure about this.....but then....

3). GW are actively seeking customer feedback with that new role thing.....this could be another tack....
    with the new position open on the website...... i smell a skaven

Chapter-Master

Shame the thread got closed, was rather enjoying his posts so hopefully itll get reopened.

I thought the guy or gal sounded well informed and candid.

I can't imagine all of the flack he or she must get at his store for any grievances gamers have with GW.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

First-Captain

Did he really say at one point that the cost of gw products had increased by less than inflation? Also, i seriously don't get what he's trying to achieve, not as if we can't go down to stores and answer questions, and not as if he's actually saying anything different to the managers I've talked to who were only salesman.
    For the Greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by ctuttle View Post
    Here you have someone willing to answer some questions and then he starts getting a bunch of personal attacks about the pay he is happy to make?
    Carl, because the internet!

Most people were belittling his salary - yet if he'd said he was on $50,000 a year they'd have been up-in-arms blaming high prices on his wages!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast