BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Design question for Imperium terrain

I'm looking into doing some designs for some laser cutting to produce some modular buildings for Necromunda / Imperial buildings. My thought being that with the way that everything is based off STC's there's a fair chance that lots of buildings in 40K ought to be built a lot like McDonalds restaurants can be - I remember a few years back watching one go up in a week on a new shopping park as I was driving to and from work each day. Most of the structure of the building was pre-built and turned up on the back of a lorry so it just got bolted together.

So, I figure that in the Imperium, if you want a building, you probably get the catalogue out and order your floor, your roof, and 4 walls. You probably get a choice of if you want a solid wall, or one with a hatchway cut into it, or window holes, etc. Like choosing kitchen cabinets and if you want doors with glass panels in, or solid wood, etc. Probably all stamped with similar but slightly different STC numbers.

So, onto the question. Assuming they were also stamped for a sort of 'manufacturers mark', (like bricks may have LBC marked on them), would that mark be an imperial aquila, or the mechanicum symbol?

Chaplain

Most things in the Imperium seem to have an Aquilla somewhere on them as they all belong to the Emperor in one way or the other. So for most structures I would go with that.

Only things that are the domain of the Mechanicum would have the Machina Opus cog symbol. So generatoriums and manufactoriums which have a strong tech priest presence.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    Most things in the Imperium seem to have an Aquilla somewhere on them as they all belong to the Emperor in one way or the other. So for most structures I would go with that.

Only things that are the domain of the Mechanicum would have the Machina Opus cog symbol. So generatoriums and manufactoriums which have a strong tech priest presence.
    That was my initial thought

Next 1st world problem decision to make is for detailing of 'bolts' on it... should they be screw heads, or hex-key bolts. I'm leaning towards hex bolts... In the grim darkness of the far future there is only IKEA.

Heresy!

The only solution that the great and holy Emperor approves of is RIVETS

SaveModifier is right. The Imperium sure does like its rivets.

They seem to have welding on the SM vehicles though, so do what you like, I guess.

If you are going to do them with hex-key head, you do need to make up some fake Ikea-type picture-only instructions

One could say they find them... RIVETing.

But yes, I think rivets tend to give a good unity to the forces and the terrain, aswell as showing the mass produced nature of the imperial building techniques.