BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What should be the fate of the Catachan Range?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep em - I Love John Rambo and the variety!

129 79.14%
  • Kill em - They are cartoons and I want more Cadians!

34 20.86%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sfshilo View Post
    Since when did an entire SUB faction of an army get an entire line of minis?
    Well, since they WERE the actual IG army before the Cadian line was created.

Granted, that's like saying that the previous range of Dark Eldar should still be maintained.

The best answer, IMO, is that just like a new edition supplanted Catachans as the basic IG line with a new Cadians line, this new edition should supplant Cadians with a Greatcoat set (with different heads to allow them modeled as either Valhallans or DKoK). That would make gamers happy, and be good for GW's sales as even old time IG players happily buy the new line.

Wow, what a bull**** poll set up with leading language, lol. Can't imagine what the authorial intent was to skew the results.

Isn't it possible for both the Catachans to go away, and a new line be introduced for variety? Most people who dislike Catachans do so because the models are ridiculously awful, and the aesthetic kinda stupid. Most of them would probably not oppose the idea of replacing them with another line of figures, and just want more Cadians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Well, since they WERE the actual IG army before the Cadian line was created.
    Wat?

You must be new to 40K. Welcome aboard. Before the plastic Catachans, there were 7 different lines of metal Imperial Guardsmen, and several other addition, but limited lines for specialized troopers. These include Cadians, Tallarns, Mordians, Praetorians, Valhallans, and Steel Legion as well as the original metal Catachans. And before that, there were generic Imperial Guardsmen who the original metal Cadians were loosely based on.

So no, at no point were the Catchans the "actual IG army". These guys were:

got to say I think they should stay to take the models away means loosing the army that has alot of face time in the fluff

Vet Sgt, I love that line. I mean... in the way that you can love derpy old models. Rather, I think they had a good sci-fi look mixed with the cool breastplate for their command, a nice mix of early 40k/RT. I hope these guys eventually get revised by FW in some fashion as the Imperial Army.

Also, re: the original metal lines... still wish they hadn't gone with the horribly cartoony new Cadians and Catachan. I also fondly remember the Games Day when I was but a lad where they announced that they were planning to release a combo set of the pseudo-trenchcoat IG that consisted of a single kit to cover Steel Legion, Valhallans, and I think maybe Tallarn? I think that got turned into the Vostroyan line, but that's pure speculation. Still waiting...

Also, does anyone remember which order they came in? I know the last 4 were Praetorians, Steel Legion (which were originally also used for Death Korps), the teeny tiny Tanith/Gaunt's Ghosts line (which was technically enough to build a very repetitive army from) and much later Vostroyans, but, which order did the 5 after the original imperial guard come in?

RE: OP/poll, I think catachans are conceptually fine and they've got a reasonably good command squad and straken's pretty good, but that the vast majority of the rest of the line is just terrible. However, even if they stay terrible, I'd still still rather see them in the game than see all of non-FW IG become one homogenous army.

Keep 'em, I wouldn't have been able to do my 'Aliens Colonial Marine Vets' without them. Besides, would be boring if all we had were Cadians.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Let them stay, but please let me have more Vostroyans!

Despite the dated models and the cartoony silhouette. I think catachans should stay. In fact I think GW should add more factions. Aren't the IG all about diversity? The best and the worst of humanity drafted and herded onto a battlefield near you?

That said, their rules could do with a bit of special treatment to match the fluff. Remember the old catachan codex?

Scout

I don't necessarily think that they should go. They just need an update as they are currently closer in look to steroid pumped jar heads, than the athletic look of well toned death world survivors i feel they should be. Though i would also like to see some new regiments in plastic. Maybe the Mordians with additional heads to also make the Praetorians too. I'd really like to see FW move they're own guard ranges into plastic too, but that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Chaplain

Cadians, Tallarns, Mordians, Valhallans, Catachans, and Attilans (the Rough Rider guys) all came out at about the same time in 2nd edition. If I'm remembering right.

I voted "keep em", but mostly because the other option was "more cadians". I like having alternate uniforms to choose from. So if they have to go, I'd rather they were replaced by another style instead of just more of one style. In a perfect world, they could do a single plastic kit for each regiment and you'd be able to mix and match with the core lines to make what you need. Much the way the Space Marine bits are all mostly compatible but you can decide to do all one Mark if you really want to.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast