BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Star Wars General Discussion (OT, PT, TCW, Comics, Legends, toys etc.)

I thought it made sense to have one of these rather than clog up any of the existing, more specific topics with random chat.
    [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?62588-The-Force-Awakens-Spoilerific-Discussion"]
    TFA Spoiler topic[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?51066-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-first-official-trailer"]TFA Non-Spoiler topic[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?49530-Star-Wars-Rebels"]Star Wars Rebels topic[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?55065-Star-Wars-Rogue-One-(December-16-2016)"]Rogue One topic[/URL]

Anyway, in all the excitement around Celebration Anaheim earlier in the year I missed the fact we got our first new canon lady TIE pilots:

Artur Essada (left) and Tana Chellaine (right) from a short story in Star Wars Insider 156.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

also too important not to include:
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Anyway, in all the excitement around Celebration Anaheim earlier in the year I missed the fact we got our first new canon lady TIE pilots:
    Yay!

This stuff is important. I went to go see TFA with a friend of mine who was telling me about her days dating a true Star Wars Guy - could quote the originals from memory, crafted up his own Stormtrooper outfit to join the 501st, etc. - and how much she really wanted to join in on that, but always felt boxed in by gender. When it came to cosplay, her choices came down to Leia, Mon Mothma, or...Twi'lek Dancer. She so, so wanted to be a part of that world (she showed up to TFA as 'Work-Safe Han Solo,' all dress pants and dark vest), but the barrier was very real. After seeing TFA, with its focus on hyper-competent Rey, villains like Phasma, etc., she was so happy, oh my goodness. The gender representation problem isn't just something for people to batter back and forth on the internet, it's a very real effect in people's ability to enjoy entertainment, and feel like a full part of the culture.

Also, re: Vader Stuff from the [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?62588-The-Force-Awakens-Spoilerific-Discussion&p=525477&viewfull=1#post525477"]TFA Spoilers thread[/URL]...

He's supposed to be Palpatine's most feared enforcers, able to cause entire worlds to abandon resistance to the Empire just by being there so he should be a complete badass.
    See, I dunno. Vader's certainly a force (hee hee) to be reckoned with, but he was never even hinted to be the kind of guy who shows up alone and annihilates planetary resistance. Thinking back to the OT, Vader's mastery of the Force extends to...

- Force-choking a couple of guys
    - Stopping blaster shots
    - Remote presence intel gathering (that Hoth is a Rebel base, that Obi-Wan is in the vicinity, etc)
    - Tossing some boxes around

That's it, far as I remember. It'd probably make him something of a one-on-one beast, but this isn't the stuff of taking out full fighter squadrons (else 'A New Hope's trench run would've ended really quickly), much less small armies. Hell, even Yoda had to steady himself and concentrate just to lift an X-Wing by a couple of meters. The Force, as an actual kinetic force, is just never portrayed as that powerful in the OT. It's a useful tool, but like the pop-influenced understanding of eastern mysticism it was based on, its real power is supposed to lie in bringing you closer to 'oneness' with the universe. It does make Vader very powerful, not because he can quash the Rebellion on his lonesome, but because he knows where to show up. Even then, think of Hoth - he shows up, sure, but he does it with a clutch of Star Destroyers, legions of Stormtroopers and enough AT-Whatever-Tees to flatten a small city. If he were a one-man wrecking ball, he'd be on the front lines, wiping out Rebels left and right and personally turning the shield generators to scrap. As it is, he doesn't even show up planetside until the fighting's almost done, specifically because it's not safe for him to do so. He's not a god. Just a man with some power.

Yup, in the OT that was basically all you had, or a Rebel communications officer. The PT gave us some more Jedi which was good, and Padme and handmaidens (who fought!) which was also good. TCW gave us even more characters and most importantly Ahsoka and canon female armoured Mandalorians. TFA gives us:
    Rey
    General Leia
    Resistance pilots
    Resistance troopers
    Resistance officers
    FO Stormtroopers
    FO Officers
    Phasma
    Various characters from Maz Kanata's castle and I guess Maz Kanata herself if you're little...
    Various dignitaries we see on Hosnian Prime.
    Scavengers
    Armed villagers

I think part of the problem is Vader was supposed to be all that, but we don't see him do it in the films. I'd really recommend checking out the comic, it makes it all very plausible and in line with what force powers we see him perform.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that there was any doubt really, [URL="http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-wars/248836/star-wars-episode-viii-news-phasmas-return-script-details-casting-update-release-date"]but Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed Rey, Finn and Poe etc[/URL]. are all returning for Episode VIII. Also Phasma will feature prominently. Too early for a separate Episode VIII topic? Heh.

Banned

also too important not to include:
    True

Also also too important not to include:

I haven't seen that in ages, just sprayed hot chocolate over my keyboard and monitor.

Banned

Sorry..?

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by spicy-vagina-tacos
    I met Luke skywalker today (: I love Star Trek!
    Quote Originally Posted by its-the-dead-hipster
    Dumb b*tch
    Don’t be rude….. Why can’t I be a Trekkie and proud? “Falcon Punch!!!” Amiright?
    Quote Originally Posted by supernaturalbadwolf
    Just incase this isn’t a joke. Harrison Ford played Han Solo in Star wars
    No sweetie……. You’re confused…….. You’re thinking about Yoda from Star Fox (:
    In honor of the third Star Wars, I wanted to remind everyone how lucky I am to have met Luke sky walker!

Yup, in the OT that was basically all you had, or a Rebel communications officer. The PT gave us some more Jedi which was good, and Padme and handmaidens (who fought!) which was also good. TCW gave us even more characters and most importantly Ahsoka and canon female armoured Mandalorians. TFA gives us:
    Rey
    General Leia
    Resistance pilots
    Resistance troopers
    Resistance officers
    FO Stormtroopers
    FO Officers
    Phasma
    Various characters from Maz Kanata's castle and I guess Maz Kanata herself if you're little...
    Various dignitaries we see on Hosnian Prime.
    Scavengers
    Armed villagers
    And just as important, if not possibly more important - not one character batted an eye at such inclusion, clearly showing the galaxy itself isn't that gender obsessed.

Think about how it could have gone - with Rey in particular. When she flies the Falcon and patches it up, not a questioning word out of Finn about her gender. All too easily it could have been 'but how did you learn that - you're a girl'
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Oh, and Toys wise?

1 X First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
    1 X First Order TIE Pilot
    Sarco Plank
    Guavian Enforcer
    BB-8, Jakku Scavenger and Unku's Thug
    Captain Phasma

Luvverly!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

The fact that there doesn't seem to be a decently-sized [URL="http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luggabeast"]Luggabeast[/URL] toy is making me a little crazy - that thing's as perfect a Squiggoth/Fiend base as can be imagined.
    Last edited by Lexington; 12-24-2015 at 01:04 AM.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast