BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 528 of 773 FirstFirst ... 28428478518526527528529530538578628 ... LastLast
Results 5,271 to 5,280 of 7723
    Occuli Imperator

We don't and I never said we should. But ho-hum that would interfere with your narrative wouldn't it.

Fun facts for you, if we want to organicly feed people, bearing in mind that we will have to sythesise of Nitrogen by the mega tonne. But we look at comparisons and they fall between 95% efficient down to 66% efficiency depending on the crop and location.

So we must covert more and more land to agriculture. So you then end up having to destroy ecosystems, like forests and jungles and give them over to organic culture. Destroying millions of acres of eco-ssytems killing off millions of creatures, mamals, plants and birds.

So you end up killing off upto a third of the world population and many millions of speices of plant and animals all in order to look after the well being of some relatively few heads of cattle or pig or what have you.

Of course the other option is to eat less meat but continue to farm both meat and vegetables non-organically with GM crops.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Also thinks how many breeds would be extinct as we wouldn't be farming them, and they'd then be considered pests.

I think none cosmetic animal testing is a necessary evil. Cosmetic testing is just cruel.
    But you shouldn't eat people for the same reason you shouldn't eat any upper food chain omnivore/carnivore. You find toxins concentrated in the meat in closer to harmful levels than you would just eating the herbivores, I think the common example is radioactivity levels in dolphins or something.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

hehehe: [url]http://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/signs-you-were-a-brummie-teenage-goth-ul08[/url]

worryingly accurate
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I'm less interested in organic than I am in free range. Giving animals the amount of space they need to enjoy a quality of life that is positive is important. Against pumping them full of unnecessary chemicals too but sometimes it is necessary to maintain the health of the herd. Organic farming I think is fine at a local and domestic levle but the fact is we need industrial farming to feed our population and supplementing it with organic is good but one cant replace the other. We grow most of what we eat ourselves but we have the space, tiem and money to do so and mot people don't. I love the idea of communal gardens and people using window sills, balconies, roofs and even inside pots to grow vegetables to supplement their diet though.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Did you often pretend to be Nancy?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I'm less interested in organic than I am in free range. Giving animals the amount of space they need to enjoy a quality of life that is positive is important. Against pumping them full of unnecessary chemicals too but sometimes it is necessary to maintain the health of the herd. Organic farming I think is fine at a local and domestic levle but the fact is we need industrial farming to feed our population and supplementing it with organic is good but one cant replace the other. We grow most of what we eat ourselves but we have the space, tiem and money to do so and mot people don't. I love the idea of communal gardens and people using window sills, balconies, roofs and even inside pots to grow vegetables to supplement their diet though.
    Yup.

I'd love to find a landshare type thing, like a communal small holding. The investors club together to buy and raise the animals, and get a share of the spoils. Lovely!

Poking about....seems there's more than a few Allotments knocking about my town....

Would be rude not to! Shall grow spuds and onions and leeks and carrots and STUFF.
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 07-28-2014 at 07:17 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

also when it comes to stuff like wheat and staple grains I don't really give a damn about organic, I've seen taste tests done where most peopel can't tell the damned difference. Much more in favour of crop diversity and different varieties of vegetable than strict organic.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

Don't bother doing anything in the garden until october ish.

It is too late now.

I grow my own usually, my potatoes have really come on over the last 2 weeks shooting up to a couple of feet from just a few inches, though i don't know when they went in so harvesting may change.

I have the left side of my garden dedicated to soft fruits, and the right to root vegetables. plans are afoot for more

Still need to apply, and then buy gardening tools, so October actually works out about nice!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I read something online about growing potatoes in a big rubbish bag full of soil mix to save garden space once, wish I could find that. Idea being it lets people with no or very limited garden space grow a staple starch.