BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 760 of 773 FirstFirst ... 260660710750758759760761762770 ... LastLast
Results 7,591 to 7,600 of 7723
    Chapter-Master

I dont think you can opt out of crossing the road.

Though I'm not convinced the police give a **** about property crime against a member of the public. Now against the state, or a large business, or speeding or murder. That's about what the police do these days isnt it?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Yes but some outgroups you can opt out of, you can't opt out of being black.
    Flippantly, ask Michael Jackson that.

You can't really opt out of walking.

And even if you could, why should you. Or are you saying that descrimination against people that can't change what they are discriminated against are worse than those that choose to be in certain outgroups?

- - - Updated - - -

That also sounds dangerously close to victim blaming, well you chose to be part of that outgroup what do you expect. But I know you wouldn't mean something like that, would you?
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Well she could have not been in an out group?

Occuli Imperator

Actually I was thinking of her. Did you see the animation that went with it? Very moving stuff. Essentially her experiance meant that the definition of hate crime was extended to include such volutnary outgroups
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Well as it already included the voluntary religious groups its only fair.
    I saw one a few years ago.
    She popped up in my head as there were posts on FB yesterday or day before about what would have been her 28th birthday

Occuli Imperator

The whole thing I still can't get my head around. Her and her boyfriend's experiance scares me more than all the cycle collisions I've seen

Banned

Lawrence O’Donnell, an MSNBC dude, just revealed that the prosecutor’s secretary gave the jury an outdated statute that states that police officers can shoot and kill a fleeing suspect simply because they are fleeing. But that was ruled by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional in the 1970s. She gave them an updated copy. When the jurors asked her if Supreme Court rulings override state rulings (for which the obvious answer is yes), she told them “don’t worry about that” instead of saying yes. She told them that they could still use the outdated statute, but that something in it was wrong. She never told them what part of the statute was wrong. She just said “DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT”

SHE GAVE THEM AN OUTDATED STATUTE THAT SAYS A POLICE OFFICER CAN DO EXACTLY WHAT DARREN WILSON DID, AND INSTEAD OF TELLING THEM THAT THAT PART OF THE STATUTE WAS WHAT WAS INCORRECT, SHE TOLD THEM NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT.
    HERE IS A LINK TO THE VIDEO!!
    This is how the Grand Jury arrived at their verdict. Early on in the proceedings, Assistant District Attorney Alizadeh handed out copies of a law that was ruled unconstitutional in 1985. In essence it set the bar for use of excessive force lower than is permissible. Simply put, ADA Alizadeh told the jury that it was permissible to shoot a fleeing suspect.

--

Tennessee v. Garner made the statute Alizadeh distributed to the Grand Jury unconstitutional, but that didn’t stop her from distributing it to grand jurors at the outset in order to set their minds in a place where Darren Wilson was justified in what he did.

Then, at the very end of the proceedings on November 21st, Alizadeh “corrected” the record. Sort of.

For the entire proceeding, jurors weighed the evidence in light of a law that was deemed unconstitutional almost 30 years ago. Then they corrected the record at the very end
    [URL="http://crooksandliars.com/2014/11/how-robert-mcculloch-hoodwinked-ferguson"]Link to the video and further discussion[/URL].

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    The whole thing I still can't get my head around. Her and her boyfriend's experience scares me more than all the cycle collisions I've seen

What scared me was I wasn't surprised when it happened.

Occuli Imperator

Out of interest Gott, do you know why the presecution didn't raise an objection at the start about this?

This also highlights a problem where court rulings change laws, but "law" law isn't updated to meet "case" law.

Part of me is uncomfortable with laws being written and revised by unelected officials...

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/ferguson/ferguson-all-1.pdf[/url]

Might be interesting for people
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.