BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 240 of 773 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290340740 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 7723

This would be the same party that introduced a national curriculum, claiming all children should be treated the same. And now criticising teachers....for treating all children the same.

You just know they're looking for a way to privatise education. And of course, by privatise I mean flog to their mates from Eton.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

it's that Orwell line all over again...

"all Pigs are Equal, but some Pigs are more Equal then others"....
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

I just object to constant fiddling from Westminster.

When was the last Secretary for Education an actual qualified teacher? When did we have one with experience of teaching anything ever?

Our education system is entirely focused on academic achievement. Yet not everyone is academically inclined. I count myself lucky to be academic, but lordy, I can't do owt with my hands. I'm a walking DIY disaster.

Bring back technical schools. Get kids taught what they need, not what the Government claims they need. I can guarantee you a kid more interested in building stuff and being constructive will pay more attention to a subject like maths when they are shown the practical consideration!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

since getting a Kindle a couple of months ago I have been using the black library site for ebooks, and damn is it badly done. the 40k drop down section lists gaunt's ghosts, and ciaphas cain, but no generic imperial guard section, the ghosts section currently only lists two items, despite the fact there are a lot more if you search for them specifically. the ebooks section just has all their ebooks together, no categories... hard to believe a site could be so badly run in this day and age
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

I can't link media properly anymore.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Our education system is entirely focused on academic achievement. Yet not everyone is academically inclined. I count myself lucky to be academic, but lordy, I can't do owt with my hands. I'm a walking DIY disaster.
    But then you become "anti-intellectual".
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Occuli Imperator

Bring back sports fields and Grammar Schools.

Also, have a course in house hold budgeting and cookery.

My school didn't have cooking lessons, but thankfully, mother wolf taught me how to hunt and cook.

Ban car drop-offs for children within 3 miles, put in adequate cycling infrastrcutre so the kids can cycle to and from school.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I just object to constant fiddling from Westminster.

When was the last Secretary for Education an actual qualified teacher? When did we have one with experience of teaching anything ever?

Bring back technical schools. Get kids taught what they need, not what the Government claims they need. I can guarantee you a kid more interested in building stuff and being constructive will pay more attention to a subject like maths when they are shown the practical consideration!
    Tone fair to this lot, they are doing quite a bit to improve apprenticeship provision, buts it's still not where it needs to be. I agree about teaching them what they need. Stuff like how banking works (the basics), household expenses and such like needs to be on the agenda. Problem is, you can't slap a number on that sort of stuff and sit a three hour written exam on it, so apparently it's worthless.

Edit: oh and you don't need to be a teacher to be Secretary of State for education. Apparently jus having been to school is all the experience you need.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Occuli Imperator

You wouldn't ask an oil rigger to run BP.
    Good teachers are good because they know how to teach, not all good teachers make good department heads or even heads of schools, similiarly the overall theme of what they should teach they might not be good at. It is a (slightly) different skill set.

I think the problem with the education system is that everyone feels that it si wrong, but no one is quite sure what will make it better.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    You wouldn't ask an oil rigger to run BP.
    Good teachers are good because they know how to teach, not all good teachers make good department heads or even heads of schools, similiarly the overall theme of what they should teach they might not be good at. It is a (slightly) different skill set.

I think the problem with the education system is that everyone feels that it si wrong, but no one is quite sure what will make it better.
    Also everything you say offends someone so you have to apologize for it.... THEN they try to sue the school for money.........

*Cough*

I mean Hi!
    Potential war gameing Jawa.