BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 542 of 773 FirstFirst ... 42442492532540541542543544552592642 ... LastLast
Results 5,411 to 5,420 of 7723
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Ultimately, if we are to get to a true balanced economy you end up doing things "not-for-profit" and end up with a pure communist system (not marxist or lenin/stalin/mao communisim) but a true form where things are done for the benefit of the society and everyone is a little cog in the machine.
    The problem with any system is that people are flawed creatures and the select few that feel the need for power will do anything to have more than their share of the pie. They can justify it however they please but ultimately every system will face serious internal threats to it's survival. Whether it is successful at defending against these threats is completely up to the masses, most of whom will likely be ignorant of the issues to begin with. Who would have guessed that the practice of "Bread and Circuses" would still endure after so many centuries.
    Last edited by 40kGamer; 08-04-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Though there are merchants and it has always bugged me how the star fleet on DS9 got lattinum to start trading. but we won't look too deeply at that.
    Being a non-Federation outpost, they likely got an allowance from the Federation to enable them to properly interact.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    The problem with any system is that people are flawed creatures and the select few taht feel the need for power will do anything to have more than their share of the pie. They can justify it however they please but ultimately every system will face serious internal threats to it's survival. Whether it is successful at defending against these threats is completely up to the masses, most of whom will likely be ignorant of the issues to begin with. Who would have guessed that the practice of "Bread and Circuses" would still endure after so many centuries.
    Oh yes I totally agree, hence I do not think it will be in my time or indeed my childrens or even great grandchildren's life time.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

For any kind of communism to work, you need an abundant society, where the basic needs of all (food, water, shelter) are all comfortably met. Now we're currently capable of doing that. Except for Capitalism. Yay!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Oh yes I totally agree, hence I do not think it will be in my time or indeed my childrens or even great grandchildren's life time.
    Sadly I agree. Barring the total collapse of the national economy, which would lead to unimaginable chaos, we won't see any real change in our lifetime. This leaves a person in the undesirable position of needing to game the system to have a better life... The hundreds of thousands of pages of laws and tax codes benefit the wealthy just as much (if not more so) then they limit them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calvin-on-Obeying-the-Law-debate-1160519_500_159.gif 
Views:	69 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	10388

Occuli Imperator

Well yes, going back a little bit, while looking at organic farming figures I discovered a "fact" that despite the millions of people who are malnuritished there is enough food being produced, it's just the hungry's fault for not being able to afford the food....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Sadly I agree. Barring the total collapse of the national economy, which would lead to unimaginable chaos, we won't see any real change in our lifetime. This leaves a person in the undesirable position of needing to game the system to have a better life... The hundreds of thousands of pages of laws and tax codes benefit the wealthy just as much (if not more so) then they limit them.
    And that's why if anyone asks I live in Jersey for tax purposes

Also Clavin & Hobbs ftw.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Well yes, going back a little bit, while looking at organic farming figures I discovered a "fact" that despite the millions of people who are malnuritished there is enough food being produced, it's just the hungry's fault for not being able to afford the food....
    Quite so. It's shameful.

When I get the allotment up and running (probably next year at this rate), reckon I'll donate any excess to my friends, and the local church. Despite being an affirmed godless heathen, it's my hope they'll be able to get the veg to people who it might benefit.

I'm interested to see what happens in around 20, maybve 25 years time when my generation (probably the same as everyone else here) start looking politically to our retirements. All these changes? I reckon they'll be getting switched back. After all, majority of post-war Baby Boomers will be pushing up the daisies by then. They can extend retirment age to 70 if they want. We'll just change it back once we're in charge.

Occuli Imperator

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Vegetable-Herb-Expert/dp/0903505754/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407164513&sr=1-1[/url]

and

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fruit-Expert-Dr-D-G-Hessayon/dp/0903505312/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407164513&sr=1-4[/url]

Yep. Such a nice spot! Just been onto the Council, and the forms are being sent out to me. EXCITE!

Chapter-Master

It is sad that there is plenty of food for everyone on earth but no real desire beyond a few token programs to actually feed the hungry.

And that's why if anyone asks I live in Jersey for tax purposes

Also Clavin & Hobbs ftw.
    Yessir! Gaming the tax code is as easy as pie if you know how.

Watterson is a genius.