BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 722 of 773 FirstFirst ... 222622672712720721722723724732772 ... LastLast
Results 7,211 to 7,220 of 7723
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    Yes, but how much of that is societal pressure to meet certain expectations as to quality and quantity of gifts? Living within your means is a lot easier when there aren't judgmental types looking down their noses at you if you don't have The Latest and Greatest everything.
    The easy answer is to just not give a damn what society thinks. It's actually a lot harder then it sounds but if you can achieve this level of enlightenment the feeling of pure euphoria is completely worth it. Seriously, there is no better high on this earth then uncoupling personal happiness from societal expectations.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Personally, I've never really experienced any pressure to spend lots of money just to have nice, new shiny things. I still drive the same beat up toyota I had in high school, the thing has 240,000 miles on it. It just never breaks down and gets great gas mileage, and I've never gotten the impression anyone that they though lesser of me for it. Most people are impressed I'm really getting my money's worth.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    Yes, but how much of that is societal pressure to meet certain expectations as to quality and quantity of gifts? Living within your means is a lot easier when there aren't judgmental types looking down their noses at you if you don't have The Latest and Greatest everything.
    I don't have the latest and greatest.

But what I have is entirely mine. No credit agreements.

Now a couple of hundred quid? Yeah no issue there.

But getting in so deep you're still paying it off a year later? That's just madness.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Unfortunately, some people are put under that pressure, especially if they have affluent siblings, or in neighborhoods with lots of kids in the same age bracket and school. I'm not trying to claim it accounts for all of the debtors, but it's definitely there.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I don't have the latest and greatest.

But what I have is entirely mine. No credit agreements.

Now a couple of hundred quid? Yeah no issue there.

But getting in so deep you're still paying it off a year later? That's just madness.
    in theory that is the ideal situation, always better to avoid debt. it is not always possible in reality though. I have significant debts I am paying off until January that came about because I couldn't afford my rent. nothing I could do about it, it was incur debt, or be homeless.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    in theory that is the ideal situation, always better to avoid debt. it is not always possible in reality though. I have significant debts I am paying off until January that came about because I couldn't afford my rent. nothing I could do about it, it was incur debt, or be homeless.
    You could move into my shed.

My new boss has told me of a new job opportunity now is he trying to get rid of me or develope me...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

is it a shed big enough for all my warhammer?

I am not accruing debt any more, just spending a few more months paying off debt that stretches back a long time
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post

My new boss has told me of a new job opportunity now is he trying to get rid of me or develop me...
    Well being new he could just get rid if he wanted to get rid couldn't he?
    So clearly develop you, possibly.

So I found Dark Sphere, what a wonderful hobby shop
    I even bought me some german helmet orc heads

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

That is a necessary debt though. Not all debt is bad. But borrowing money just for Christmas to the extent you're still paying it off the following Christmas? That is stupid.

Indeed, had you been carrying Chrimbo debt when you had your issue, you may not have been able to get the credit to sort yourself out, leaving you homeless and still in debt.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

is it a shed big enough for all my warhammer?
    Yes. Though be aware of the the guinea pig, he eats eyes.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni