BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Initiate

Default ADL 3+ or 4+ and do the guns auto fire?

Greetings!
    ok was playing at EVO yesterday and Mike pointed out to me that the ADL was a 3+ because it was a fortification, also the Quad gun can fire auto. If this is/or not true can some one point out in the rule book where it states ether way plz? Evo had a GREAT group of guys and owner I just want to make sure i'm playing the rules correctly.

cheers
    Jim

Chapter-Master

ADL is definently a 4+ armour save as it comes under Battlefield Debris.

And for the same logic the gun cannot autofire, and can even be fired by the enemy if they're in contact with it.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

Agree definitely a 4+ cover save though you get that extra +1 cover bonus if you go to ground behind one. so your effectively getting the 3+ effect by kissing dirt. its page 104 BRB if your interested.

Quad gun can't auto-fire unless it is an emplaced weapon on a battlement(a change in Stronghold Assault page 16), a freestanding Gun Emplacement has no BS rating so can't fire itself rules for it are on page 105 in BRB
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 02-09-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    Agree definitely a 4+ cover save though you get that extra +1 cover bonus if you go to ground behind one. so your effectively getting the 3+ effect by kissing dirt. its page 104 BRB if your interested.

Quad gun can't auto-fire unless it is an emplaced weapon on a battlement(a change in Stronghold Assault page 16), a freestanding Gun Emplacement has no BS rating so can't fire itself rules for it are on page 105 in BRB
    Actually its rules specify that you get +2 for going to ground behind an aegis, so you get a 2+ cover save when you do.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    Actually its rules specify that you get +2 for going to ground behind an aegis, so you get a 2+ cover save when you do.
    yup that's what I said an extra +1, I just didn't reference the +1 you get from going to ground sorry if that wasn't clear, should have just done the full cover awarded instead of comparing it to the effective 3+ cover of fortifications.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 02-09-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

There is no blanket cover save for fortifications, each either specifies what cover save it gives or refers to which type of battlefield terrain it is.
    An aegis line is Battlefield Debris (defence lines) and so provides a 4+ cover save, a unit that goes to ground behind a defence line gets an additional +1 for going to ground so going to ground gives a cover save of 2+

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Justice View Post
    There is no blanket cover save for fortifications
    There is, on BRB 18. But Aegis defense lines provide a 4+ cover save because their rules specifically say they do, as others have pointed out.

Chaplain

Yeah basically during setup if both players agree that this or that piece of terrain provides Fortification level of cover they can get the 3+ cover from it if 25% obscured, players just tend to bring their own ADL cover which has its own set of rules assigned to it as Battlefield Debris.

Technically you could place down pieces of an ADL during terrain setup and agree that it counts as fortifications if you wanted. rules permit for it. though I doubt you could place all 8 sections at once that way as well as a gun emplacement, unless mutually agreed upon.

Scout

Default About ADL Quad guns & auto-fire.

About ADL Quad guns & auto-fire.

I think the OP is getting slightly mangled info from Stronghold Assault. Where purchased buildings are automatically claimed by the purchaser & any claimed building can fire it's emplaced guns whether the emplacement is manned or not.

I've got the epub version of SA so excuse the lack of page numbers.

In "Updated Building Rules, 1) Buildings in Battle, Claimed Buildings-- A claimed building gains the Sentry Defence System special rule, as detailed below..." Basically the building can now auto-fire.

Unclaimed buildings remain unchanged and thus emplaced guns can only fire if manned.

Further in Building Rules "4) Gun Emplacements on Battlements-- GE can be purchased as upgrades for many fortifications, and can either be placed on top of a building's battlements or as freestanding weapons on the battlefield. A GE placed upon a building's battlements counts as an additional emplaced weapon. A GE placed elsewhere on the tabletop uses the normal rules for GE."

In the Fortification Upgrades section it defines how fortifications can purchase upgrades and states which upgrade lists a fortification can use as being found on the datasheet for that fortification.

In the list of purchases for Battlements & Battlefields it shows GE as available and that "These are placed either on the fortification's battlements (if it is a building with battlements) or anywhere on the tabletop that is wholly within 6" of their (sic the purchasing) fortification."

Which seems to be pretty clear that only GE purchased with a building can be placed on that buildings battlements and any other GE is placed on the tabletop and treated as normal needing to be manned to fire.

So to the OP, while your buddy was almost right I'd always ask to see the rule for a change like that. :-)

The datasheet for Vengeance Battery states that they are Impassable Buildings but also states they do have the SDS special rule. So while they can never change hands (you aren't able to embark in the building to claim it) there is no argument as to their ability to auto-fire.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    There is, on BRB 18. But Aegis defense lines provide a 4+ cover save because their rules specifically say they do, as others have pointed out.
    Ah my mistake, a little too assertive there for my own good. Ta