BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Default So how long to we need to wait before we can make a call on the nid dex?

LVO results are out.
    Standings are in and it was not good for the bugs.

Cooper had tne best ranking at 24th. 4W-1L.

The big problem I have is with his draw. He beat 2 other Nid players for two of his wins, so against non-Tyranid armies he was 2W-1L. He did not draw any Eldar or Tau armies to play against. His one loss was to Goatboy's demons. That was pretty much a dream draw for most Nid players.

Not saying he is not a great player, but if he had a draw like that and only broke the top 25 then we are going to have some issues.

Second best was 34th with a 5th ed codex.

Blackmoor came in 3rd at 39th with 3W-1L-1D. He drew against a Mechdar army (wave serpents/wraithknights) and lost to DE Jetseers. He had a rough draw. probably the best showing Nids could do against top tier lists.
    That is pitiful, I don't think any codex has done that badly since the last nid one.

and given how we've been seeing them play in funnzies games (the last thread springs to mind) I think this book is probably in some serious trouble.

A friend of mine said it best,
    Why play nids in a tournament if you have the option of any other book, there is nothing in that codex that scares me across the table
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Actually they currently climbed to the top 5 of torrent of fire's ranking Largely in part to the small sample pool and that in tourneys it's mostly excellent players playing them but it is still something!

Goatboy's army btw is NOT a dream match for Tyranids. Normally Daemons are.. I agree with that but he had 60 daemonnettes and 2 greater daemons (all slaanesh). It was a nasty list. He also deep striked 2 soul grinders as poor mans heldrakes tearing up the backfield. He didn't have much in the way of skyfire but no Tyranid infantry is standing up against 60 daemonnettes and the soul grinders are tough unless you have some key warpblast shots or MC assault which by turn 2/3 might just be your tervigon with the rest of the army up the field.

Nobody in their right mind would proclaim this codex a huge success or really good.. I don't think it's the worst codex though. I think sadly Tyranids are once again a mid tier army with the potential to surprise people if the army is in good hands.

I took 31st btw with the old nids there One last run! Now on to the new nids...
    Member of team Zer0Comp and the website www.frontlinegaming.org

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by iNcontroL View Post
    Actually they currently climbed to the top 5 of torrent of fire's ranking Largely in part to the small sample pool and that in tourneys it's mostly excellent players playing them but it is still something!

Goatboy's army btw is NOT a dream match for Tyranids. Normally Daemons are.. I agree with that but he had 60 daemonnettes and 2 greater daemons (all slaanesh). It was a nasty list. He also deep striked 2 soul grinders as poor mans heldrakes tearing up the backfield. He didn't have much in the way of skyfire but no Tyranid infantry is standing up against 60 daemonnettes and the soul grinders are tough unless you have some key warpblast shots or MC assault which by turn 2/3 might just be your tervigon with the rest of the army up the field.

Nobody in their right mind would proclaim this codex a huge success or really good.. I don't think it's the worst codex though. I think sadly Tyranids are once again a mid tier army with the potential to surprise people if the army is in good hands.

I took 31st btw with the old nids there One last run! Now on to the new nids...
    I'll pay that about GB slaanesh. To be fair though, the fact they can fit that many slaaneshi daemons in a list....I mean if you even tried to get near those numbers with stealers......you'd cripple yourself.

As to the codex, I think it may, actually be the worst book they have ever released, I actually can't think of a book that was so bland boring and boring compared to the previous one, when the previous one was already that bland and boring. I mean no its not unplayable but it really has to be in the running for the worst book ever I think.....I mean whats its competition? the 5th ed nid codex? the 4th ed CSM or DA ones? (that is a serious question by the way, what books do people think are worse than the 5th and 6th nid ones?)
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    (that is a serious question by the way, what books do people think are worse than the 5th and 6th nid ones?)
    the old Necron one maybe? where you couldn´t play small games because your minimum army (1HQ 2 Troops) was 500pts already? which didn´t really have many fun/funky units in it, let alone scary combos? and where your army was prone to just say "bye" when you lost a couple of dudes? or maybe I´m just spoiled by the newer stuff... and yeah even that was not as bad as the new Nid book imo
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

true the cron book was bland, but its was also a bit of a powerhouse. Glancing raiders to death with a single shot never got old. (6 to pen, 6 on the damage chart POP!) Not to mention the literally unkillable monolith

newnidz is very situational, and success at open event will be largely determined by the rock paper scissors spock...

but our home games... where we play alternate scenery deployment and are normally terrain heavy by nidz player choice makes them much more effective...

still think the 50pt 2 st8 shot ignore cover beasties are great value and a real threat to most opponents...

of course nidz will always hate short edge games...

which is where i think TO and BRB have got it wrong ! .... surely the attacking / counter attacking player {in strategic terms} should have the choice of deployment ? ... i mean TAU just love short edge !

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    newnidz is very situational, and success at open event will be largely determined by the rock paper scissors spock...

but our home games... where we play alternate scenery deployment and are normally terrain heavy by nidz player choice makes them much more effective...

still think the 50pt 2 st8 shot ignore cover beasties are great value and a real threat to most opponents...

of course nidz will always hate short edge games...

which is where i think TO and BRB have got it wrong ! .... surely the attacking / counter attacking player {in strategic terms} should have the choice of deployment ? ... i mean TAU just love short edge !
    Um dave. Deployment is randomly determined.(excepting tournament where its usually an even distribution for each game).

And the nids dont have any S8 ignores cover outside the crone(whic is a vector strike at 24 and fragile).. .and certainly not for 50pts

Um dave. Deployment is randomly determined.(excepting tournament where its usually an even distribution for each game).

And the nids dont have any S8 ignores cover outside the crone(whic is a vector strike at 24 and fragile).. .and certainly not for 50pts
    No its not, terrain is done so that it looks cool, random is the alternative deployment.

Hive Guard Impaler Cannon gained complete Ignores Cover, rather than the old "ignores cover unless you're in it"
    But they did go up to 55 pts.
    ...and down to BS3

Battle-Brother

He's talking about the Impaler Cannon there Daboarder.

As for the codex, I honestly have been thoroughly disappointed. I won't get into all the reasons why, just sum it up with the fact it's a lazy transition. But ultimately it boils down to the fact I hate being shoe-horned into playing any of my armies in only one way.

I do not want to have to follow a checklist to be competitive. Flyrant with twinlinked brainleech x2? Check, Termagants x30 with Tervigon? check, Venomthropes x3, check, etc ad nauseam, every, freaking, game.

My best friend has actually found a good thread on Warseer about 'fixing' the nid codex. There's some funstuff in it and since it's chiefly only me and him who play we're going to hash it out and fix it for ourselves. I don't get to go to tournaments and he suggested this so we won't be stepping on anyone's toes.

If you guys are interested I'll pm you the link and after we do some testing post some results.
    The time for hope has long since past, the shadow of death is the one I cast.
    Tyranid: Record as of 3/14/2014 0 W - 5 L - 0 D

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast