BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Iron Father

Default Resparking interest.

Hi guys and gals.
    Just wondering if any of you have ever "hit the wall" in regards with painting. I'm in a bit of a funk at the moment and painted very little in the past 2 months.
    How did you reignite your interest ? Or did it just happen ?
    I admit I've painted just about everything 40k over the years army wise and the thought of starting a whole new army just doesn't inspire. I admit it's getting me down a bit as I feel I've lost touch with something I really enjoy.
    Thoughts ?
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

everyone hits the wall every so often just got to find something that inspires you to get back into it

Occuli Imperator

I know what you mean. I am in a bit of a funk myself. I tried last January to challenge mywself to paint a company of BAs, but failed with 1 squad being done.
    I don't know what it is.
    I imagine with me part of the issue is that I can't be bothered to get it all out to paint for a few minutes/hours and put it all away, whereas if it was all set up I might do it more.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

why not have a look about at some of the models other companies make, some do some beautiful display minis like Kingdom of Death, etc, also try getting out of your comfort zone by employing new painting techniques that you dont currently use, take your time with it, try to enjoy it and only work on it when you really want to, even it if takes you a year to finish you will get a lot more pleasure out of it and it will help you to remember what you enjoy about painting, dont try to force yourself to paint because it never works and at ther end of the day the hobby is all about enjoyment

Banned

Well if it's that you want to paint but can't be arsed, I paint something other than 40k for example. If it's just you don't feel like painting I just wait until the bug comes back. Also painting with someone, like a friend or kids (age appropriate of course) can help some since it's more a social thing than a concentration thing.

Brother-Sergeant

I go through the same thing, I struggle to find the motivation to paint anything. But for me I enjoy painting again when I have a reason to paint e.g. painting competitions or gaming. I don't get a chance to play games on a regular basis so when I do manage to organise a game it makes me want to paint again.

Chaplain

I know the feeling... Right now, its the winter bla's wrecking my painting mojo :< For me, I just have to wait for the mojo to come back. I cant force it.

Chapter-Master

When this happens, I usually switch over to a new project. If I was painting 40k, I go paint some Fantasy, or some Firestorm Armada, or whatever. I was on a huge 40k dip until an awesome campaign game at my FLGS (my Blood Angels massacred my buddy's Tyranids... there were like six models left at the end of the 1.5k game - it was incredible) reinvigorated my interest.

Honestly, though, I have always felt that you have to follow your heart. If you don't want to paint 40k... don't paint 40k. Paint something else.

Don't play anything else?

I can help you fix that .
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

How about swapping to avoid models altogether, and instead look to paint a bit of terrain / building for scenery? Perhaps it could be usable for gaming, but also form a diorama to go on the shelf along with models you have already painted?

Is there anything you could look at doing as a big conversion project instead, to leave the paintbrushes to one side while you create something awesome with bits, plasticard and green stuff? Then see if the painting bug comes back once you've created 'it'?

Veteran-Sergeant

I would share the prevalent opinion about doing something non 40k for a bit Joe - have you ever thought about doing some historical stuff? Or as you're handy with an airbrush maybe even some scale modelling? You are spoilt for choice these days for companies producing some really fantastic quality miniatures and vehicle kits, and you will also be pleasantly surprised how cheap stuff is in comparison to 40K/WFB to collect. As an example, Bolt Action (WW2) offers exciting gameplay, and as its platoon based you don't need to paint ranks and ranks of figures to play it - I'm painting a Waffen SS army at the minute which I have picked up for well under £100.
    Last edited by Lukas The Trickster; 02-11-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    When I was younger, they all laughed at me when I told them I wanted to be a comedian - they're not laughing now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast