BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First-Captain

Default Imperial Guard love.

While I am trying to get my list together and figure out what allies to run I came across some awesomeness that I wasn't aware off.

One of the problems with guardsmen is they don't have access to prescience, Although bring it down and 're rolling cover saver makes up for the lack of divination. However I realized Dark Angels are battle brothers that can easily bring Divination to the guard army. Also with the addition of the Inquisition you can have a guard army with at least 3 divination tossing psykers in it.

The gravy part is you can take the Leman Russ that can drop 5 plasma templates and give it twin linked and possibly deny cover. In translation it's perfect for dealing with broadsides and riptides, since in a turn or two it can kill either one of those units. On the plus side it has armour 14 which makes it rather hard for Tau to deal with.

My ideal is to field one psyker per plasma tank. If need be the psyker can be hiding behind the tank, or hide inside of a chimeria/ rhino.

I have to look if you can take two inquisition hqs as a choice which would be nice. I am debating on sisters or dark angels as guard allies right now. If I go dark angels I'm just taking the psyker and a marine scout squad. If I take the sisters I will take an Exorcist, a few troops with transports and Jacobs maybe, or Cannoness.

The plasma tank was feared in 5th and with the lack of mechanical on the field it can be feared again. Surprisingly the only heavy mech armies out there sport armour 10-12. What is great is that the tank still can pen armour 12.

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    While I am trying to get my list together and figure out what allies to run I came across some awesomeness that I wasn't aware off.

One of the problems with guardsmen is they don't have access to prescience, Although bring it down and 're rolling cover saver makes up for the lack of divination. However I realized Dark Angels are battle brothers that can easily bring Divination to the guard army. Also with the addition of the Inquisition you can have a guard army with at least 3 divination tossing psykers in it.

The gravy part is you can take the Leman Russ that can drop 5 plasma templates and give it twin linked and possibly deny cover. In translation it's perfect for dealing with broadsides and riptides, since in a turn or two it can kill either one of those units. On the plus side it has armour 14 which makes it rather hard for Tau to deal with.

My ideal is to field one psyker per plasma tank. If need be the psyker can be hiding behind the tank, or hide inside of a chimeria/ rhino.

I have to look if you can take two inquisition hqs as a choice which would be nice. I am debating on sisters or dark angels as guard allies right now. If I go dark angels I'm just taking the psyker and a marine scout squad. If I take the sisters I will take an Exorcist, a few troops with transports and Jacobs maybe, or Cannoness.

The plasma tank was feared in 5th and with the lack of mechanical on the field it can be feared again. Surprisingly the only heavy mech armies out there sport armour 10-12. What is great is that the tank still can pen armour 12.

I've had some luck using Eradicators. S6 AP4 Ignores Cover plus 9 heavy bolter shots.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

If you go with DA allies, it can also be nice to take a whirlwind, they are cheap and give your army more true "ignores cover" instead of just barrage.

S10 AP2 Demolishers and S8 AP3 Battletanks have never done me wrong. Back by Ignore Cover Hellhound, and you've got a decent start.

Basic Guardsmen bring a lot of Plasma & Melta to the table.

The challenge is in having something sturdy to hold objectives.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

First-Captain

also, depending on what you face how often, you might even consider taking two Plasmacutioners in a Squadron, thus saving you one Prescience for a Manticore or whatever else you happen to have... that squadron will not always be completely worth it (kinda stinks against Flying Circus Daemons...), but if you face a lot of Broadsides and/or other heavy Infantry, it might be worth a shot...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

First-Captain

Actually flying circus is a problem. It's run in every tournament, yeah, or screamer star. Anyway I completely forgotten about the whirlwind and do have the model to field one, I actually can do three.

I am j ot completely sure what I'll do yet, but y'all gave me great ideals which I forgotten about. The battle cannon and demolosher is up for grabs, but I need some range and ap 2 to deal with the local meta.

To deal with flying daemons I am planning running a vendetta and praying for fail grounding checks so I can plasma a monster in the face or two. I am more worried about flyers than anything else.

Going with dark angels or sisters I will have decent scoring troops on an objective. I can also use a rhino to blos to the squad which will keep.the squad behind the rhino alive a lot longer. However I would probably use an Immolater with the sisters for the extra melta fire.

For fast I know I am using a vendetta and a hellhound, the heavy support I am still working out the details since guard have two tanks that can ignore cover and you have tanks that can drop d3 pie plates.

First-Captain

if FW is an option, there´s also the beautiful (imho) Avenger Strike Fighter up for grabs - not quite as undercosted as the Vendetta, but still very good at what it does
    and then AA is also minimal concern - Sabre anyone?
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

The gravy part is you can take the Leman Russ that can drop 5 plasma templates and give it twin linked and possibly deny cover.
    Perfect Timing can only target the Psyker and his unit. You can't cast it on a Leman Russ.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

If FW is allowed, take a Trojan as a dedicated transport for a Techpriest, park it behind one of the Executioners and enjoy a S7 AP2 gun with Preferred Enemy re-rolling ones to wound You can also use the Techpriest to repair the Executioner and keep it in the game for longer.

First-Captain

I would have to buy the book and the model. For right now I want to keep to the current book. Don't want to buy anything new before the new codex comes out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast