BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Which army/ies have the most deployment options?

I used to think Tyranids had the most options in deploying their troops, but apparently that is no longer true with the new codex.

Similarly, which armies are best at messing with deployment?
    Either adding to reserve rolls or making it more difficult for the opponent to deploy their units.

I don't have access to all the codices (I own Chaos Daemons and could needle a friend about Eldar & Necrons), but to be honest, I am not really sure if deployment is really an army thing, but rather something specific units do.

First-Captain

Raven Guard Marines maybe? Infiltrating Scouts, Scouting Scouts (duh) and Tacticals in Rhinos, Outflanking what-have-you, Drop Pods, Deep Striking Terminators plus Assault Squads&Vets...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Occuli Imperator

If you really want to mess with someone's deployment then any army that can be fully reserved does this.
    A full drop pod army, all deep striking units (Like DA Deathwing).

Eldar, being highly mobile are (or can be) quite unaffected by deployment, my one friend, usually deploys all bunched up in one corner, then zooms his wave serpents on his first turn to counter how I have deployed.

IG can make some really good "Castles" but they can suffer from melee armies.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I second deep striking armies in general.

Pure deathwing seems interesting, though I think you need to have at least something on the table at the end of turn 1 if I'm correct. Which in turn probably leads to more interesting prospects when you have a droppod army of sorts. 9 droppods of goodness (sternguard, tactical marines, dreadnaughts)... Blood angels have the ability to deep strike Land raiders (unless this has been errata'd)
    40k- Chaos Space marines - Chaos Daemons - WM/H - Khador - Cygnar - Dystopian wars - EotBS

Chaplain

Dark Angels in general have a metric ton of Deployment options and variations available to them between Bikes and Scouts and Scoring Terminators, downside is they usually carry the need to pay for a special character in the primary detachment to do so.

Eldar are probably better at it by virtue of their speed, while they have less initial deployment shenanigans they can quickly adjust to where they need to be

Librarian

Space Wolves have scouts that can "super" outflank (pop up on your opponents board edge. Drop Pods, standard Outflankers, Puppies, HQ's that can buy outflanking, while popping some Long Fangs in the standard deployment with missile launchers...

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    Eldar are probably better at it by virtue of their speed, while they have less initial deployment shenanigans they can quickly adjust to where they need to be
    Also if you use Eldrad and get to go first you can re-deploy d3+1 units which can really mess with your opponents deployment.

Brother-Captain

I think Blood Angels because unlike most armies Deep Striking with Jump Packs is actually viable due to Descent of Angels.