BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Flame (Template) Sniper units

Hi All,

Just a quick question, as I can't seem to find an answer quickly in the FAQs or Google. In HH: Betrayal, Veteran Tactical Squads can be given Veteran Tactics (i.e. pick one from Fearless, Sniper, etc). If you give the squad Sniper and a Heavy Flamer, would that then give the Heavy Flamer (a template weapon) the advantages of a sniper weapon (i.e. No worse than a 4+ To Wound, Pinning and Rending)? I would imagine Precision Shots are out, since there's no To Hit roll involved, but the rest is something that I'm curious as to what the consensus is.

Thanks!

Chapter-Master

If the squad gains 'sniper' that means all weapons would have the sniper attribute. This means that some weapons would gain some benefits (low strength weapons), and others would loose some abilities.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Veteran-Sergeant

Ok, just so we're on the same page, you're saying that, even though against T6+ targets it'd wound on a 4+ (as expected), it would lose the benefits of being S5 against T4 or less (i.e. it'd still wound on a 4+, not a 3+ or 2+)? In addition, this would also apply to any bolters/Heavy Bolters/Missile Launchers/etc, and that they would all count as S3 against vehicles?

First-Captain

Hi
    I asked the following question of forgeworld a while ago and posted the answer in a thread on here somewhere. I think it is relevant to your question.

Question:

I am e-mailing regarding the Sniper rule and how it applies to the Legion Veteran Tactical squad.

I have read the FAQ and I understand they gain precision shot and their weapons never need more than a 4+ to wound. My question is do they also gain the rending ability that the sniper rule confers or, in this case, it is only the precision shot and 4+ wounding aspects of this rule that they benefit from?

Thanks very much

Answer:

Hi,
    Thank you for your email and please accept our apologies for the delay in replying to it. The Rending ability only come into effect if the model with the sniper rule is armed with a sniper weapon, i.e Sniper Rifle. As Veteran Tactical Marines are armed with bolters, they don't get the rending part of the rule.

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,
    Forge World

It's really only the precision shot element and never needing more than a 4+ you have to worry about. If your marine is shooting at a T3 model with a bolter I say you wound him on a 3+ as you are not using a sniper weapon.
    Last edited by energongoodie; 02-12-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Chaplain

My understanding has always been it is the weapon that conveys the wound process. And without having the rules handy, I believe it says in the book that template and blast weapons never precision shoot. As an example take the Eldar rangers, who are snipers and have infiltrate, stealth etc.. it is their sniper rifles that wound 4+, generate precision shots and rending. If the rangers fired their shuriken pistols, they shoot on ballistic skill, wound according to strength but of course get blade storm if they roll 6 to wound. So I believe your heavy flamer would retain its own characteristics regardless of the skills of the unit. Another example is space marine scouts who could use sniper rifles & heavy bolter. Only the sniper rifles wound on 4+ or rend. The HB fires according to its stat's.