BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default 6th Ed Tyranids: Houserule Rewrite

So I'd like to start by explaining the why and the purpose of this thread.

When 6th ed came around and GW began cranking out codex after codex in record time I decided that I would finally start Tyranids. I had always picked up the Mawloc at my FLG and daydreamed about rampaging Carnfie.

My best friend watched me go from eagerly anticipating the release and talking his ear off about it, to dreading the newest rumors and biting my nails at the general meh of everything filtering through, to finally being just flat out disappointed with the book.

Recently he posted a link on my FB, one which I'll share here.
    [url]http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?389415-My-take-on-trying-to-quot-fix-quot-the-6th-Edition-Tyranids-Codex[/url]
    And told me that by and large he was ok with what he read, and trusted me to impliment these into my codex.

Generally I play with only him, his wife, and one other fellow, we live too far from our FLG for tournaments or pickup games. My best friend and his wife are both ok with this. The other guy? I'll probably just be playing the 'vanilla' dex or another army entirely against him.

Now, that's the why, on to the purpose. I've decided to ask you, the BoSL community for a little help in refining things. You guys are generally thoughtful, tactful, and very polite when it comes to discussions.

Please no posts of 'Book is fine' etc, that is your opinion. I am only looking for feedback on the changes I'm going to be implementing and not on how I should be sucking it up.

So without further ado, lets get started shall we? Largely I am only going to cover things I am actually considering implementing instead of the entire post on warseer.

Forces of the Hive Mind pg. 38
    Insert new section: Hive Fleet Phenotypes From my Biology days in Uni... name in the works, basically Chapter Traits. These are meant to be slightly overpowered, as they will probably be balanced by some kind of points cost or drawback in later versions. All your Tyranid units, regardless of Detachment or from Dataslates, etc. share the same Hive Fleet Phenotype. No cherrypicking or powergaming here.

Hive Fleet Behemoth: Your Monstrous Creatures gain Feel No Pain (5+).
    Hive Fleet Kraken: Increase the Mastery Level of all your Psykers by 1. In addition, Melee Bio-weapons purchased by your Psykers have the Force property added to them.
    Hive Fleet Gorgon: Your units can never be wounded on a roll better than 3+ (meaning a roll of 1s or 2s always fail to wound), automatic wounds are not affected.
    Hive Fleet Leviathan: Your Synapse Creatures have a "Lesser Warp Field" for a 5++ Invulnerable Save.

Personally, I prefer the thinking of this as 'Splinter of', as in my Fleet is a Splinter of Behemoth. I don't really see a reason to tack on a points cost, as this functions by and large like Space Marine chapter tactics, the all or nothing nature doesn't even allow abuse by self ally, which I am allowed to do.

Warlord Traits:
    Nature's Bane - Change to affect any piece of non-ruin or building terrain.
    Replace Heightened Senses with Divide to Conquer from BRB pg. 111.
    Synaptic Lynchpin - No change.
    Replace Mind Eater with Immovable Object from BRB pg. 111.
    Digestive Denial - Just needs a name and description change, no change to game effect.
    Adaptive Biology - Change to "Gains Feel No Pain (5+) or improves existing FNP by 1 step."

These actually make me want to roll on the chart, instead of defaulting to my usual favorite warlord.

Instinctive Behaviour Tables pg. 39
    Simply change distribution to:
    1 = Worst effect
    2-5 = Middle effect
    6 =Best effect

With this change the IB chart goes from bending you over the kitchen sink, to offering to buy you dinner first. The chance of a dramatic failure is still present and encourages synaptic web without going overboard on unnecessary bonuses I've seen suggested. I'm a fluff player by and large so I'm happy with this idea.

Hive Tyrant pg. 40
    Hive Commandeer - Add "As long as you have at least one Hive Tyrant alive (on or off the table), you may re-roll any of your reserve rolls (failed or successful).
    Indescribable Horror - Change to "Units within 12" of this model lose 'And They Shall Know No Fear'."
    Old Adversary - Change to "This model and all friendly Tyranid units within this model's Synapse Range gain Hatred."

Now this one I feel needs some editing. Commander and Old Adversary are fine but Horror needs some work. Taking away ATSK is pretty powerful, but it doesn't affect say fearless mobs, I'm thinking instead, "Units within 12" of this model are subject to fear tests regardless of Fearless and ATSK." Thoughts?

Genestealers pg. 43 I'm thinking of making them more in line with Deathcult Assassins, so bear with me here...
    Change Weapons and Biomorphs to Scything Talons and Rending Claws.

Add "Predatory Reflexes" - The unit has a 5++ Invulnerable Save, and ignore the initiative penalty for assaulting through difficult terrain. Name needs work, taken from DCA's Uncanny Reflexes.

Lictors pg. 44
    Add Predatory Reflexes, see above.
    Remove Instinctive Behaviour (Lurk).
    Add Killing Strike Special Rule - Rending on 5+.

I've lumped these two together as being vanguard organism's they are like chocolate and peanut butter. I think Predatory Reflexes might be a bit much in granting essentially assault grenades, and I am considering dropping the 5++ to a 6++. Lictors having IB seems incredibly stupid to me considering their designed purpose, and I like the improved Rend.

Zoanthroapes pg. 45
    Add to Psychic Brood - This unit generates an additional Warp Charge for each Zoanthroape beyond the first. So a unit with 2 Zoeys gets 3 Warp Charges to spend, and a full unit of 3 Zoeys gets 4, so the 2nd power they roll up won't be totally useless and there is more incentive to field more than just a single Zoey in a brood.

This one I like but admit it may be a bit too much.

Tervigon pg. 48 Yes I think they did need a slight nerfing, but they didn't have to swing the nerf bat so hard...
    Add to Brood Progenitor - All Termagants units within 12" of the Tervigon may use it's Leadership score for any Leadership based checks.
    Synaptic Backlash - Change to 2D6 hits.

Agree with this completely, and makes sense as the Tervigon is directing the will of it's spawn.

Haruspexes pg. 51
    Remove from Rapacious Hunger "In the turn in which a Haruspex charges" I think it should work all the time, although it might not make that big of a difference depending on the enemy target.

The om nom nom machine becomes even more nommy, provided you're not trying to smash tanks and dreadies with it and eating infantry like it's supposed too. You should be scared of it getting to cc.

Ripper Organisms pg. 53
    Add "There're too many, sir!" Special Rule to both Ripper and Sky-Slasher Swarms
    "At the start of your turn, roll a D6 for each unit of Ripper and Sky-Slasher Swarms:
    1-2: One of your Ripper Swarms in this unit may recover a single wound lost earlier in this battle.
    3-4: One of your Ripper Swarms in this unit may recover up to two lost wounds lost earlier in this battle.
    5-6: If this unit has less than the starting number of Ripper Swarms, add one back to this unit at full wounds. If not, treat as if you rolled 3-4.

I LOVE Rippers. These little things, they are terrible and frightening. Too bad their current rules make them just an overpriced speedbump. This however would turn them into a fearsome little tarpit, but maybe too fierce... This one might need playtesting.

Mawlocs pg. 54
    Add to Terror From the Deep - You may choose to re-roll the scatter result, although you must keep the 2nd result, even if it is worse.
    Add to Terror From the Deep - Models in a multi-level ruin above the lowest level that would have been affected instead take a dangerous terrain test, after which the unit must take a pinning test. So units hiding on higher levels of shaky ruins would probably be affected by the tremors caused by the emerging Mawloc at least.
    Note - When your opponent places your Mawloc due to a Deep Strike Mishap result, he may not use it to attack your own units using the Terror From the Deep Special Rule, must be in a valid Deep Strike formation (so as to not trigger another Deep Strike Mishap). This will probably be FAQed soon.

Out of this, I'm really only considering the second addendum, rerolling the deepstrike when you already have a decent chance of doing a fair amount of damage seems a little overkill, and my friends call me the scatterdice surgeon...

Trygons pg. 55
    Change Subterranean Assault to - If the Trygon (or Trygon Prime) deploys by Deep Strike, choose another Infantry or Beast unit also to be held in Reserve (including Independant Characters attached to the unit). Do not make Reserve Rolls for this unit. Instead, it arrives at the same time as the Trygon, deployed within 6" of the Trygon (or Trygon Prime). Any models that cannot be placed within range are lost. This unit may not move or charge the turn it arrives, but may shoot or Run. If, when a Trygon (or Trygon Prime) deploys via Deep Strike, it scatters on top of impassable terrain or another model (friend or foe), reduce the scatter distance by the minimum required to avoid the obstacle.

And suddenly the tunnel isn't a wasted rule, look how easy that was GW.

Hive Crones pg. 56
    Change Toughness to 6, Armour Save to 3+.

Harpies pg. 57
    Change Toughness to 6, Armour Save to 3+.

Currently I feel these two are nothing but skyfire bait, this fixes that and puts them on par with other MC's.

The Swarmlord pg. 59
    Add Eternal Warrior Special Rule.

Change Warlord Trait to: You may roll 3 times on the Tyranids Warlord Traits table until you have 3 different results, then choose the one which will apply that game.

Add to Bone Sabres - All successful Invulnerable Saves taken against wounds caused by the Bone Sabres must be rerolled.

This returns the Swarmlord to terrifying glory. Instead of being saddled with lynchpin he's capable to fulfill the desired roll his army needs easily and makes invuln protected foes fear him again, as well as protecting him from the errant force-weapon or special rule.

Old One Eye pg. 60
    Change Leadership to 9.
    Added Rampage Special Rule.
    Remove Berserk Rampage.
    Add "Why won't it die?!" Special Rule - Old One Eye has Feel No Pain (5+), or improves FNP from another source by 1 step, to a maximum of 3+.
    Add Note - If your detachment includes Old One Eye, you may take one Carnifex Brood unit as a Troops choice. In addition, Old One Eye may be joined to this Carnifex Brood unit at the start of the game, but may not leave it once joined.

My absolute favorite HQ choice, I love the big marauder's story and ability and this makes him all the more fearsome. I don't see a point to the leadership change though, so I'll probably keep his LD 8. He is only a carnifex, no matter how legendary.

Deathleaper pg. 61
    Add "Legendary Reflexes" Special Rule - Deathleaper has a 3++ Invulnerable Save.

Add "Killing Strike" Special Rule - Deathleaper Rends on 5+.
    Add Note - If your detachment includes Deathleaper, you may take one Lictor Brood Unit as a Troops Choice. In addition, Deathleaper may be joined to this Lictor Brood unit at the start of the game, but may not leave it once joined.

Speaking of legendary, this makes the Deathleaper respectable, and not just so much challenge bait. A solid simple improvement. Though his IB 'lurk' will be removed to match other Lictors.

Melee Weapons
    Add Note - Tyranids armed with 2 pairs of Tyranid Melee Weapons combine the bonuses to Strength (if any), best AP and Special Rules as well as those listed under Type. Like in 5th, need to work on wording. So for example a model with Crushing Claws and Scything Talons would be +1 Strength, AP2, Melee, Armourbane, Unwieldy and Re-roll all 1s to hit in close combat, and a model with Scything Talons and Rending Claws would be Strength User, AP5, Melee, Rending and Re-roll all 1s to hit in close combat.

Add to Scything Talons - Re-roll all 1s to hit in close combat. Probably make a new keyword under Type, need a good name...

I didn't see a reason to lose either of these to begin with, thus their back.

Add to Bio-Electric Pulse Weapons - Haywire Type Because Trygons and Trygon Primes are costly in points, and also one of my favorite models.

With this little upgrade that Trygon will do a little more than just be a fire magnet the turn it arrives.

Add to Drool Cannon - 2 profiles, chosen when fired:
    Template, S6, AP4, Assault 1, or
    12", S6, AP4, Assault 2, Armourbane

This one I'm torn on, on the one hand it makes a lot of sense for a creature dedicated for dealing with flyers to have a primary attack to deal with them, but isn't that what the tentaclids are for?

Biomorph Upgrades
    Change Acid Maw to "All close combat attacks by a model with this biomorph use the following profile: S6, AP2, Melee"

Change Toxic Miasma to "All enemy units treat the area within 6" of this model as both difficult and dangerous terrain."

Add to Wings - In addition, the model may reroll all failed Grounding Tests.

Hey look at that, a pack of three pyrovores isn't a joke all of a sudden. This may be the only one I consider out these three, venomthropes already do a fine job at what they do, and there should be a fair chance of making my FMC's faceplant.

Bio-artefacts of the Tyranids
    Personally I think this entire part needs renaming and a major overhaul, but GW insists on Relics and stuff... so...

The Maw-Claws of Thyrax - Add "Counts as a pair of Rending Claws when determining Synergistic Weapon Combinations" and "All of your units with Synapse Range of the bearer are also granted this Preferred Enemy rule."

The Norn Crown - Add "This model's Feel no Pain or Invulnerable Saves are improved by 1 step, to a maximum of 3+."

The Miasma Cannon - Add "Counts as a Heavy Venom Cannon when determining Synergistic Weapon Combinations, and may be fired as a Heavy Venom Cannon in addition to the Miasmic weapon profiles."

The Ymgarl Factor - Change to "At the start of your turn... The bonus gained lasts until the beginning of your next turn."
    Add "In addition, choose a unit of Genestealers in the same detachment with this bio-artefact. This unit (Genestealers and Broodlord only) gains the same ability."

The Reaper of Obliterax - Add "Counts as Lash Whip and Bonesword when determining Synergistic Weapon Combinations", Change to AP2, and Life Drain on 5+.

These were simply overcosted garbage in my opinion. Far too expensive for the too little they did. I'm not a fan of the suggestions for synergistic weapons from the warseer post, so the miasma cannon will remain the same, and mentions of synergistic will be ignored, the rest of the changes though are welcome.

This is really all I'm considering changing. I'm not going to mess with point cost as I don't want to get into the headache of trying to figure out the worth of units. This will be adjusted, changed, and tested, until there is a version everyone is happy with, but this is a good start. I will sincerely appreciate any input you guys have to offer.
    The time for hope has long since past, the shadow of death is the one I cast.
    Tyranid: Record as of 3/14/2014 0 W - 5 L - 0 D

Scout

So, IMHO, there is room for additional balancing in the Tyranid Codex. Also, you and your friends should be able to play with whatever house rules you want, and in that case the opinions of the greater community don't really mean much. All that being said, what I see here is not balancing, since in every way shape and form you've increased the power or effectiveness of all units, without increasing point costs. I know you don't want to get into point costs, but most of these changes are just way WAY OP at book cost.

Basically, I like to use house rules to make games more fun and balanced, but I would never play anybody with these rules you've presented or use them myself. They don't seem balanced at all to me. What your friends think, is up to your friends.

Scout

You might want to check out the an article on [url]http://www.3plusplus.net/[/url] by Abusepuppy, who basically is doing the same thing you are, and compare notes.

Veteran-Sergeant

> You might want to check out the an article on [url]http://www.3plusplus.net/[/url] by Abusepuppy, who basically is doing the same thing you are, and compare notes.

thats exactly why there will never be a widely accepted third party rewrite...

Librarian

Whatever you do with this game amongst your friends is totally up to you. So go ahead, rewrite the whole thing. As long as it stays there.

Good luck trying to get Joe Schmoe to play against it. I doubt you'd find many takers.

Synapse grants Eternal Warrior
    Venomthropes are independent characters
    Hormagaunts are 7 points, with the Beasts unit type
    Genestealers are 16 points, with the Beasts unit type
    Lictors have Stealth and Shrouded

Make those changes and I think the book is good to go.

Im going to be keeping a close eye on this thread, any SHRED of a chance where i can play nids again like they are MEANT to be played even if its an unofficial dex is worth it in my opinion. Nids honestly made me very angry... Instead of being happy of the runours i too bit my nails.

So far the rules i see are pretty good, a few things can be toned down a little, also remember the re-rolls of 1 to hit in combat with scythings is nullified or makes pointless preferred enemy

I also did one, with a focus on trying to encourage tactics that resemble the fluff better. I'm running a narrative campaign with it at my local store. I'm still tweaking and balancing mine and slowly working through the math on point values, then testing it and re-balancing based on how the test games go in the campaign. I harbor no illusions that anyone will adopt my ideas because it includes things like taking psychic powers away from troop choice tervigons and giving warriors a version of Brotherhood of Psykers instead, but if anyone wants to compare notes with what I'm doing and leave feedback then you're welcome to. Here, I give you the [URL="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bi3iihUJmDXueR0-dl6exVOoo3HIMBJblf8nwJcpBy0/edit?usp=sharing"]Wishlisted Tyranid Fluffdex of Gribbly Wrongness.[/URL]

I like it
    Member of team Zer0Comp and the website www.frontlinegaming.org

Why are you guys even bringing up acceptance of others to play these changes? He said it's just him and a small group of friends so who cares if other people would accept his rules?

I like the idea of a chapter tactics style to tyranids. Don't know if I missed it, but if your group is cool you should make it similar in that you can ally with yourself if you're using two different varieties of tactics.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast