BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Battle-Brother

Hey guys, had a few thoughts last night while I was at work.

First, Ezaviel, after considering it yeah, making 'indescribable horror' nullify two special rules is silly. I guess it'll just remain unchanged as honestly I can't think of a way to improve on it that isn't broken. Secondly, with a lictors LD yes it might be a bit much to completely remove their IB, it does give them a risk/reward factor for scouting them ahead out of synapse and they are unlikely to have a brainfart.

The Deathleaper though, totally doesn't fit to have it, so I'm still stripping it from him.

I've been thinking on the Trygons Bio Electric pulse. Just slapping haywire on it essentially means all it has to do is look at a tank at a funny, and while I like the idea that it's a deepstriking antitank a Trygons pretty scary antitank in it's own right.

Instead I'm thinking keep it's original statline S5 AP5 but add the following, 'Overload: On a roll of 6 to hit add the Haywire effect'. This forces a choice between frying troops, or going for the gamble of shaving off hullpoints instead of a guaranteed dead tank when a trygon prime sneezes at it.

Schmidt and Daboarder, thanks for the idea for improving the Haruspex, this one though I bet will get nerfed back to a slow and steady 6 a turn movement. I am going to increase the big guys points by 20. 5pts for each stat adjustment and 10 for the speed alone to justify this.

Also I like the idea of calling scything talons special roll 'Flurry', makes sense and a conjures cinematic images. I'm not entirely sure the Drool cannon needs Fleshbane at S6, Armorbane however makes sense. I am liking the idea of the cannon having two profiles, one for skyfire and one for ground targets. May need a point adjustment for this ontop of improving it's T and SV.

Anggul and Robert, while personally I like the random nature of how the tervigon works I did think of a way that might fix it for you two. When the tervigon is purchased you purchase gant larva at 4pts a piece to, lets say for giggles a max of 30. When the tervigon spawns it must produce a max of 10 a turn, side effects still apply, but the tervigon may sacrifice a wound to spawn an additional 10 that turn until it's larva is exhausted.

Anyway, that's all for now, thanks again for the help with this guys.
    The time for hope has long since past, the shadow of death is the one I cast.
    Tyranid: Record as of 3/14/2014 0 W - 5 L - 0 D

Battle-Brother

Hey guys checking in after my first game with the codex testing some of these house rules. I am happy to report that it was a great success.

The only time my opponent seemed a little iffy on them was concerning Old One Eyes special rule of "Why won't it die!?" However after he proceeded to focus fire him down, he conceded that it wasn't overpowered and did give him some nice survivability.

Making the Tyrgons Bio Electric pulse apply the haywire effect on a 6 to hit was met as a fair trade as well. Also the Trygon's new tunnel was considered a strong tactic and actually worked out well to deliver him and a unit of devilgaunts behind enemy lines.

The Splinter fleet traits were considered awesome and it was deemed they didn't need a points cost.

The Haruspex got a 10pt increase and recieved +1 attack, Rapacious Hunger effecting every turn, Grasping tongue regen a wound on an unsaved wound, and a +3 to his run. This was considered fair and certianly made him much more effective.

Now next week I'll do some further testing with genestealers and lictors to see how these vanguard units fare with their update. Though the biggest success? Even our usual stickler for the rules accepted these and is willing to face them.

All in all I am happy bug player again.
    The time for hope has long since past, the shadow of death is the one I cast.
    Tyranid: Record as of 3/14/2014 0 W - 5 L - 0 D

Your haywire effect is very close to what I came up with for my set. I created a special Voltage rule that causes haywire on a 6 to penetrate but also forces re-rolls of successful invulnerable saves. I took it a step further, and for a points increase I brought back the old 2nd edition Voltage field, which I'm treating as a 5+ invulnerable save against shooting attacks that adds the voltage rule to the model's close combat attacks. The trygon's special rule forces it to choose... it starts its turn with voltage field, but it loses it until the start of its next turn if it uses bioelectric pulse. My reasoning for this is to make it follow the old Epic fluff a bit better, and also the 2nd edition fluff for Voltage field which I made an upgrade available to a couple other units. I gave the voltage special rule to paired boneswords, a modified version of the hive guard's new shock weapon which can now be used in an anti-air capacity, an expensive upgrade for genestealers, and of course for the Swarmlord's bone sabres which have a +1 to voltage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123