BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Improving on the Space Wolves

What's up guys? I just came out of a 2 week stay at a luxurious hotel (ok that's a lie, i was hospitalized) and decided i deserved a nice 40k treat for motivation and to keep busy while I continue to recover at home.

The thing is i own a lot of armies and im not sure which ones to splurge on. My initial reaction is to go all in on my favorite army (Nids) followed by my runner ups (CSM, SM, Daemons) but those armies are big enough as is, so I started to look at the underdogs in my inventory. Problem is that I don't know enough about them to sit here and be like 'oh yeah I should def get this!' with my usual 110% certainty. My little recovery gift im aiming to fork over about a grand in total split up between 5 choice armies so averaging out to spending bout 200 a piece at most.

So now that you understand the situation here is a look at my Space Wolves, the lowest of the low. So you can run ideas by me.

LEGEND
    Bold = SPLASHABLE - what this means is that these models are what i consider generic splashable models that I use in all my armies. they tend to not be painted, typically primed or unpainted. Example = Devastators/Long Fangs, Dreadnoughts, etc

Red = NOT OWNED - these units are things i don't own yet but are what I was thinking of buying, when looking for ways to improve my current inventory. So you can help me in deciding if I should get these red label items or not. Are they the best choice?

Why Do I like Space Wolves?
    It might be important for your suggestions to know what exactly I like about space wolves. I love WOLVES period. I originally wanted to have a bunch of wolves in my army, instead built up what i see as a 'gunline wolf army'. This is why I thought 'hey maybe i should get those thunderwolfs i always wanted...but are they worth it? And how do i build them out? so many questions..

Unlimited Pts - Space Wolves Roster - Space Wolves 02/13/2014

HQ:
    1 Canis Wolfborn, 185 pts

1 Rune Priest in Terminator Armour, 190 pts (Chooser of the Slain; Runic Weapon; Storm Bolter; Master of Runes; Saga of the Beastslayer)

1 Wolf Lord in Terminator Armour, 205 pts (Melta Bombs; Wolf Tail Talisman; Wolf Claw; Wolf Claw; Saga of the Warrior Born)

1 Wolf Lord in Terminator Armour, 230 pts (Wolf Tail Talisman; Wolftooth Necklace; Storm Shield; Thunder Hammer; Saga of the Bear)

Elite:
    1 Dreadnought, 130 pts (Wolf Tail Talisman; TL Autocannon; TL Autocannon)

Elite:
    1 Wolf Guard Pack, 530 pts
    2 Wolf Guard in Power Armour (Close Combat Weapon; Frost Axe x1)
    3 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour (Melta Bombs; Wolf Claw; Wolf Claw)
    2 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour (Melta Bombs; Wolf Claw; Wolf Claw; Cyclone Missile Launcher)
    3 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour (Storm Bolter; Power Fist)

Troops:
    9 Grey Hunters Pack, 225 pts (Meltagun; Power Sword; Meltagun)
    1 Grey Hunter w/ Mark of the Wulfen
    1 Rhino (Dozer Blade)

9 Grey Hunters Pack, 225 pts (Meltagun; Power Sword; Meltagun)
    1 Rhino (Dozer Blade)

9 Grey Hunters Pack, 235 pts (Wolf Standard; Meltagun; Power Sword; Meltagun)
    1 Rhino (Dozer Blade)

Fast Attack:
    2 Land Speeder Squadron, 200 pts (Multi-melta x2; Typhoon Missile Launcher x2)

1 Thunderwolf Cavalry, 270 pts
    1 Thunderwolf Cavalry (Close Combat Weapon; Storm Shield)
    1 Thunderwolf Cavalry (Storm Shield; Thunder Hammer)

1 Thunderwolf Cavalry, 270 pts
    1 Thunderwolf Cavalry (Storm Shield; Thunder Hammer)

Heavy Support:
    4 Long Fangs Pack, 115 pts (Missile Launcher x4)
    1 Squad Leader
    1 Squad Leader
    1 Squad Leader

Heavy Support:
    1 Whirlwind, 85 pts

Storm Wing Formation:
    1 Stormraven Gunship (Heavy) [SM], 200 pts (TL Lascannon; TL Multi-melta)
    1 Stormtalon Gunship (Fast) [SM], 145 pts (Typhoon Missile Launcher)
    1 Stormtalon Gunship (Fast) [SM], 145 pts (Typhoon Missile Launcher)

Total Roster Cost: 4075
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts
    2. Chaos Space Marines - 7,100 pts

First-Captain

you might also consider Loganwing (i.e. Big Daddy Wolf with Wolf Guard Terminators als Troops, plus added goodies to taste) - that way you´d probably only need to buy another two boxes of Wolf Guard Termis (plus Grimnar himself obviously) and you´d get a rather different feel out of your army... maybe with Fenrisian Wolves to run interference and general annoyance, since your Troops are likely to draw a lot of their firepower?
    Other than that, how about ForgeWorld? There are some neat tools to be had there, like the Space Wolf Contemptor (great opportunity for some fancy conversion work, since there is as of now no dedicated model for that)...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

interesting suggestion thanks
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts
    2. Chaos Space Marines - 7,100 pts