BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Improving on the Blood Angels

What's up guys? I just came out of a 2 week stay at a luxurious hotel (ok that's a lie, i was hospitalized) and decided i deserved a nice 40k treat for motivation and to keep busy while I continue to recover at home.

The thing is i own a lot of armies and im not sure which ones to splurge on. My initial reaction is to go all in on my favorite army (Nids) followed by my runner ups (CSM, SM, Daemons) but those armies are big enough as is, so I started to look at the underdogs in my inventory. Problem is that I don't know enough about them to sit here and be like 'oh yeah I should def get this!' with my usual 110% certainty. My little recovery gift im aiming to fork over about a grand in total split up between 5 choice armies so averaging out to spending bout 200 a piece at most.

So now that you understand the situation here is a look at my Blood Angels whom have been rendered super ineffective in 6th ed. So you can run ideas by me.

LEGEND
    Bold = SPLASHABLE - what this means is that these models are what i consider generic splashable models that I use in all my armies. they tend to not be painted, typically primed or unpainted. Example = Devastators/Long Fangs, Dreadnoughts, etc

Red = NOT OWNED - these units are things i don't own yet but are what I was thinking of buying, when looking for ways to improve my current inventory. So you can help me in deciding if I should get these red label items or not. Are they the best choice?

Why Do I like Blood Angels?
    I really wanted to build an army around jump infantry and BA lets me do just that unlike any other SM chapter. So DoA style lists in 5th to me looked extremely appealing. However we all know 6th ed has not been kind to these kinds of lists. So if I were to upgrade my inventory to boost what I currently own, what would the best choices be?

Unlimited Pts - Blood Angels Roster - Blood Angels 02/13/2014

HQ:
    1 Mephiston, Lord of Death, 250 pts

1 Commander Dante, 225 pts

1 Librarian in Power Armour, 175 pts (Jump Pack; Force Sword; Epistolary)

1 Librarian in Power Armour, 175 pts (Jump Pack; Force Sword; Epistolary)

Elite:
    1 Terminator Assault Squad, 200 pts
    4 Terminator with Lightning Claws
    1 Sergeant

1 Sanguinary Priest, 270 pts
    3 Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour (Jump Pack; Power Sword)

Troops:
    1 Sanguinary Guard, 225 pts (Equip Unit with Death Masks)
    3 Sanguinary Guard (Glaive Encarmine (sword))
    2 Sanguinary Guard (Glaive Encarmine (axe))

1 Sanguinary Guard, 225 pts (Equip Unit with Death Masks)
    3 Sanguinary Guard (Glaive Encarmine (sword))
    2 Sanguinary Guard (Glaive Encarmine (axe))

7 Assault Squad, 235 pts
    1 Assault Marine with Meltagun
    1 Sergeant (Bolt Pistol; Power Fist x1)

7 Assault Squad, 235 pts

7 Assault Squad, 235 pts

Fast Attack:
    1 Baal Predator, 145 pts (Dozer Blade; Flamestorm Cannon; Heavy Flamer )

1 Vanguard Veteran Squad, 325 pts (Equip with Jump Packs)
    1 Sergeant (Jump Pack)
    2 Vanguard Veteran (Jump Pack; Power Sword x1; Storm Shield x1)
    2 Vanguard Veteran (Jump Pack; Power Fist x1; Storm Shield x1)

1 Land Speeder Squadron, 100 pts (Multi-melta x1; Typhoon Missile

Launcher x1)

1 Land Speeder Squadron, 100 pts (Multi-melta x1; Typhoon Missile

Launcher x1)

Heavy Support:
    1 Dreadnought, 120 pts (Twin-Linked Autocannon; Twin-Linked Autocannon)

4 Devastator Squad, 130 pts (Missile Launcher x4)
    1 Sergeant (Bolt Pistol; Boltgun)

Storm Wing
    1 Stormraven Gunship (Heavy) [SM], 200 pts (Twin-Linked Lascannon; Twin-Linked Multi-melta)
    1 Stormtalon Gunship (Fast) [SM], 145 pts (Typhoon Missile Launcher)
    1 Stormtalon Gunship (Fast) [SM], 145 pts (Typhoon Missile Launcher)

Total Roster Cost: 4650
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts
    2. Chaos Space Marines - 7,100 pts

Occuli Imperator

I rarely leave home without my Baals.

Mephiston can be a monster, but my opponents now target him after he munched through an obscene amount of opponents in a big mutli-combat.

Dreads are always good especially in Rifleman config, though if I am honest I prefer DC dread with Blood Claws

When I use my Stormraven (I rarely take flyers, they aren't in my groups meta so we avoid them to avoid unbalance) I find it a brilliant way to launch DC + DC Dread across the board
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

So you think these are all solids buys to add on to what I currently have? Cuz thats what i need to know
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts

Chaplain

With the Baal's I'd only suggest 2 of them. If you can magnetize them, then you can save some money from having to get 3 - or 6. Flamestorm cannon is kinda meh, since it puts the tank in jepoardy of being punched to death. The Assault Cannon/ HB loadout is still pretty nasty, also makes a good AA platform against FMC's.

I say same deal with the Storm Raven, give yourself some leeway to swap it's loadouts, this can be achieved with magnets. I'm sure there are more than enough video tutorials on Youtube.

BA don't have access to Storm Talons, though you sure could ally them in.

The dreads are questionable, if you're going to splurge on the Devastators, then you may not need the Dreads.

Mmm looks u got a bit mixed up. The items in RED are the ones i do not already own.
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Akaiyou View Post
    Mmm looks u got a bit mixed up. The items in RED are the ones i do not already own.
    No - I understood. As you said, what's in RED are things you were thinking of getting. Hence the suggesting to save you some $$. You've listed 3 Baal preds. If you use magnets, you only need to get 2 of them.

You've got the Storm Raven listed as well, however the Storm Raven does have multiple weapons options, so the suggestion to magnetize the weapons allows you to field the Storm Raven in all it's glory.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Akaiyou View Post
    So you think these are all solids buys to add on to what I currently have? Cuz thats what i need to know
    I would say so, but I am a collector, so my opinion has a bias towards having everything! I have decided that I prefer Preds to Devs I find the armour to be more survivable, not sure if it is, just seems that way. But then I play a mobile force so I prefer the ability to move and shoot my heavy weapons. That being said 4xML is my preference when I do take them. The options of frags or kraks depending on target is invaliable.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Angelofblades View Post
    No - I understood. As you said, what's in RED are things you were thinking of getting. Hence the suggesting to save you some $$. You've listed 3 Baal preds. If you use magnets, you only need to get 2 of them.

You've got the Storm Raven listed as well, however the Storm Raven does have multiple weapons options, so the suggestion to magnetize the weapons allows you to field the Storm Raven in all it's glory.
    Yeah that part I understood solid advice. The part where i don't think you understood the thread was when at the end you started talking about dreads and devastators (which i already own) as if i were to be buying them as well.

This thread is not displaying an army list, it is displaying my inventory of what i own and how i have it configured. as well as what i plan to add to it
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts

I think they would be solid buys. One question would you use three preds at the same time? If so this is a good buy. And my I suggest if you have free time maybe try converting mephiston? Personally I think his model is kinda meh and if you convert it brings some more personal touch.
    Purge the Weak!

What I see missing from your list: Librarian Dreadnoughts. They can Insta-Kill Riptides and Wraithknights with their Libby Power Axes! Use the Wings of Sang psyker power and they become jump troops with Hammer of Wrath attacks (per the FAQ).

My usual build for BA:

Libby in Power Armor
    2-3 Librarian Dreadnoughts
    2-3 10 man Tac Squads (Or Assault Squads in free Drop Pods)
    1 Scout Squad (Objective campers)
    3 Baal Predators, TLAC + 2x HB
    3 Predators, AC + 2x HB

It gives you up to 6 AV13 "Fast" vehicles on the table and 3 Jumping AV13 Dreadnoughts.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett