BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

ROLLIN IN DA BATTLE TANKZ
    Like the other tanks the Leman Russ was painted over using the sponge technique to really add some colour that the [URL="http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/191/0/e/Da_Battle_Bruzer_by_Proiteus.jpg"]previous version[/URL] lacked, it also helps a great deal when adding battle damage.
    After Throne Of Skulls I decided to add some more details to it inspired by the [URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/9/91/Dow_Looted_Tanks.jpg"]looted tanks from Dawn Of War[/URL], so I painted on some chequers and angler patterns plus instead of using english I painted words in Ork Glyphs. The turret reads “Rebel!” while the one at the back says “Mork”.

Now to paint some details on to the vendetta, paint the Battle Bruiser crew and work on some objective markers before the new guard codex comes out. Which leads me to the next topic...

CYGROTZ OR MEGAGROTZ?
    Reading what is effectively the new stormtrooper rules in White Dwarf, I fancy taking at least squad of these bad boys in the new transport which I'm going to really enjoy converting.
    But that means it's to the drawing board on how to convert suitable Storm trooper proxies that represent the carapace armour and weapons very well.
    So here are my ideas...

Cygrotz
    The simple of the two ideas; convert Cyborg Gretchin using necron and other bitz, if I take a command squad have it being lead by a grot mekboy.

Megagrotz
    An idea that I've had for a while was to put a gretchin in a suit of exo armour with a claw on the left and the hot shot lasgun on the right, using a terminator torso with robotic arms and use squashed balls of green stuff to create old style robot legs. Sadly the grot heads don't fit very well into the terminator torso, but they do fit the grey knight terminator torso very well.

Using images from Bitzbox I've thrown together a little rough image of the idea. The grey Knight torso will be green stuffed and altered, problem is I'm unsure how to model the legs?
    The classic robot legs won't work and I don't want to make them looked to armoured by using space marine legs, so far my best idea has been to use shorten cadian legs and add armoured boots at the bottom.

So what are your thoughts on the two ideas, do you'll feel the Grot Exo suits look to armoured to represent stormtroopers? Plus an ideas on how to convert the legs?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

My Blood Axe-y Grot army used goblin legs, space marine arms & torso, goblin head to make stormtroopers. Each member of the squad was themed on a different Space Marine chapter (hooded night goblin head & robed legs for the Dark Angels, wolf rider furry hat head for the white scars, wolf rider horned helmet for space wolves, etc).
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

I've decided to scrap the grey knight torso and it's too bulky and a bit daft looking. I might try a space marine torso and instead and see how that looks with the stormtrooper arms.

& Now For Something Completely Different...
    I'd like to run an army idea pass everyone as I'm eager for feedback on it.
    This idea has been floating around in my head for years now but never really been done, it started when I played "Star Wars Republic Commando". The idea of having an small group of elite commando like troops taking on a larger army was an interesting concept. At the time I considered the original Farsight Bomb but the project later got scrapped for my "Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons" instead. Now having faced a fun and interesting Farsight Enclave battlesuit army at the last TOS I'm considering the project once again, that and having a small army that can be transported with ease rather than in a large Battlefoam case.

However if there's one issue I have with the Tau it’s the battlesuit, I just don't like the original model. The Forgeworld Battlesuits are ace but I can't afford a large army of battlesuits costing me £26 each, so I decided to create a new Battlesuit that had a more elite and commando feel to it inspired by the Republic Commandos, Iron Man 2 Hammer Drones and most of all the Dark Crusade Tau Commander.

Each suit is easily customizable with 1 weapon system on each arm and a support system or optional missile pod on the back as shown on the model. I've already come up with a few variant designs such as a suit armed with twin flamers having the fuel backs mounted on the sides of the jetback and having a blank visor, so each suit's appearance will differ in more than just weaponry.

The suit looks powerful and aside from the strength 5 I believe could easily represent a Battlesuit's stats, I'll also add that their bases will be designed to boost their height so they are the same height as a Battlesuit on a normal base. Also they'll be no Stealthsuits in the army to avoid any confusion.

40k ain't cheap which is why I've only collected and expanded 2 armies, but the benefit of this army is it will look awesome but not break my bank balance.

But I'd like to hear your thoughts on the conversion concept itself; Do you think this will work as a Battlesuit proxy and if not, why? I believe I've covered the areas of size and WYSIWYG but I'm grateful for any additional feedback.

"Rule of Cool," I say do it. The prototype looks awesome.

Great thread overall. Ideal use of the Grey Knight Codex for a super force! I'm a bit disappointed that the Ork Boyz let the rebellion get so far out of hand though! Super fun grotty conversions!

I'm diggin on your Crisis Suit build, I may have to loot that...
    http://conversionfanboy.blogspot.com

THE BATTLE BRUISER!
    I loved the idea of turning a Baneblade into a mobile HQ or flagship for the grot rebels but it wasn't till the Escalation rules came out that I considered it. It was going to be done later on but it became a priority when I needed something to replace 500pts of Ork allies.
    But even thou it was completed to a tournament just in time for Throne Of Skulls last month it still needed some work such as the crew, glyphs and other smaller details. But after burning myself out getting the army done I needed a break from the hobby.
    Finally the centrepiece for my Grot Rebelz is complete! Too bad it has a tendency to blow up on me in games.

With luck I'll have a full army photograph of the (current) army to post tomorrow

DA BOSS' RIGHT HAND GROT
    Alongside the Battle Bruiser's crew I also painted up Kapin Squigscream to act as either a commissar or an alternative commander to Grotskull. I wanted to make him look fearsome since it's his job to keep all this gretchin warbands in line.
    Previously he had a large squig on a separate base (for appearance only) in the command squad but this time I've added a small squig to his base as well as bulked out his cybork arm.

I've also continued experimenting with carapace armour and this conversion is the look I'm going to go with, the boltgun was to be replaced with a hot-shot lasgun converted from a gauss weapon. But I'm unlikely to be fielding scions so I might build a veteran squad with carapace armour.

Last edited by Proiteus; 04-18-2014 at 09:47 AM.

By Mork (Or Gork) This is...I can't even...

Amazing work...

Da sausage Grot Approves!
    Da Sausage Grot judges you...

First-Captain

Your Grot Kaptain looks amazing what with that pet squig as well...

Great work!
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast