BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I'm currently facing two challenges for both the Grot Rebels and Thousand Sons and would appreciate some suggestions on them...

Problem 1: What to do with the Dakka Tanks?
    For my Hydra tanks in the last codex I converted these small support tanks adding a carriage at the back to keep the armour facing correct, I had planned to use them for my Wyverns but I fear their size could be a problem. See the Hydras never benefited from their small size as they were always in line of sight so they could have a wide range of targets, the wyvern being a barrage tank will often be behind terrain so I fear it's size may become an unfair advantage.

So now I'm wondering what to do with my 3 small tanks because I really don't want to ditch them cause they look awesome, I was thinking of using them as FW immobile weapon platforms but then someone suggested using them as a squadron of armoured sentinels since their base size is 60mm square. It's a tempting idea since all I need to do is remove the heavy bolter and add a big turret on the top for the main weapon, as for the close combat stats maybe a tank commander with a powerfist or something?

I dug up this image from the previous log for a side by side comparison.

Problem 2: Pre-Heresy Scouts?
    Once I'm finished with the grots I'm likely to start work on a allied attachment of Space Marines for my Grey Knights so that my pre-heresy Thousand Sons can field an actual Contemptor dreadnought and legion battle tank. The best choice for the required Troop slot is a scout sniper squad, the problem thou is that Scout squads weren't present during the great crusade instead they had recon squads but I'm not keen on the idea of just having Maximius armour representing 4+ armour.
    So I'm trying to think of a way to convert the armour to look less like a standard space marine? So far the best idea I've had is using scout torsos with Maximius armour legs.

Your thoughts on these two topics?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

First-Captain

wow those recon marines look amazing, I would go with those anyday in my army...
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

A Grot Yard Sale
    With a new codex I find myself not needing half of my chimeras or a 2nd osprey vendetta anymore so I'm now looking to sell them plus the hydra and griffon mortar turrets, if you interesting in buying any of them check out the thread posted on the forum [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?44339-Paypal-Converted-Osprey-Vendetta-Ork-Wagons-Guard-Armoured-Car-and-Ork-Turrets-(UK&p=415908#post415908"]HERE![/URL]

Wyvern progress
    Just finished up my Wyvern turret, the design was inspired by the large ork turret that you force round on the ork ship in the first level of the Space Marine game. Now all I need to do is get the Enclosed Trukk from Forgeworld to mount it on.

I'm in the same boat. Haven't decide what to do to use the unit for both 30k and 40k. I was thinkin some power armor uppers and s out legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    I'm currently facing two challenges for both the Grot Rebels and Thousand Sons and would appreciate some suggestions on them...

Problem 1: What to do with the Dakka Tanks?
    For my Hydra tanks in the last codex I converted these small support tanks adding a carriage at the back to keep the armour facing correct, I had planned to use them for my Wyverns but I fear their size could be a problem. See the Hydras never benefited from their small size as they were always in line of sight so they could have a wide range of targets, the wyvern being a barrage tank will often be behind terrain so I fear it's size may become an unfair advantage.

So now I'm wondering what to do with my 3 small tanks because I really don't want to ditch them cause they look awesome, I was thinking of using them as FW immobile weapon platforms but then someone suggested using them as a squadron of armoured sentinels since their base size is 60mm square. It's a tempting idea since all I need to do is remove the heavy bolter and add a big turret on the top for the main weapon, as for the close combat stats maybe a tank commander with a powerfist or something?

I dug up this image from the previous log for a side by side comparison.

Problem 2: Pre-Heresy Scouts?
    Once I'm finished with the grots I'm likely to start work on a allied attachment of Space Marines for my Grey Knights so that my pre-heresy Thousand Sons can field an actual Contemptor dreadnought and legion battle tank. The best choice for the required Troop slot is a scout sniper squad, the problem thou is that Scout squads weren't present during the great crusade instead they had recon squads but I'm not keen on the idea of just having Maximius armour representing 4+ armour.
    So I'm trying to think of a way to convert the armour to look less like a standard space marine? So far the best idea I've had is using scout torsos with Maximius armour legs.

Your thoughts on these two topics?

[url]http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/393095-PH%20Wolves.html[/url]
    I would look to make my scouts have smaller shoulder pads like this art and maybe remove the backpack and put on an imperial guard backback and maybe a vox for one of them, then I would have them with las sniper weaponry (if sniper is your thing.) that way they are still wearing marine armour but the entire bulk except for the chest and legs are removed.

Gobsmasha soon to be in the works!
    I've always wanted to field Gobsmashas in my grot guard army using the FW Laser Tank Destroyer rules, only whilst the body is easily converted from a Leman Russ body the large armoured wheels are the troublesome part as my old rubber wheels won't cut it.

Fortunately the chap over at [URL="http://stores.ebay.com/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry"]Blood & Skulls Industry[/URL] has agreed to build some for me, which is fantastic news as his other vehicle components and alternative tracks are top notch. So expect to see Gobsmasha tanks joining the Grot rebel's arsenal in the near future.

Wyvern Progress!
    Well finally got my enclosed cab trukk from forgeworld to convert up for my Wyvern, only problem is due to an error in casting the main 2 parts won't go together without a good amount of work fortunately Forgeworld customer service is top notch and their sending me a replacement part. So till that arrives I'm going to have to work on the ork trukk plastic components and gretchin crew, speaking of which I was lucky in finding that commander arm as it makes the driver look bored which is only natural since an artillery tank rarely moves lol.

Here's a photo of it in progress, what do you think?

Of course the front will be a lot more armoured when completed, but to better represent the front armour value of 12 I'm also going to be adding a small ram to the front as well.

Librarian

I'm definitely stealing that idea for a Grot Wyvern.
    "Let them come. We shall smite them down where they stand" Warsmith Vorax of the 15th Grand Battalion.

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    Gobsmasha soon to be in the works!
    I've always wanted to field Gobsmashas in my grot guard army using the FW Laser Tank Destroyer rules, only whilst the body is easily converted from a Leman Russ body the large armoured wheels are the troublesome part as my old rubber wheels won't cut it.

Fortunately the chap over at [URL="http://stores.ebay.com/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry"]Blood & Skulls Industry[/URL] has agreed to build some for me, which is fantastic news as his other vehicle components and alternative tracks are top notch. So expect to see Gobsmasha tanks joining the Grot rebel's arsenal in the near future.

Wyvern Progress!
    Well finally got my enclosed cab trukk from forgeworld to convert up for my Wyvern, only problem is due to an error in casting the main 2 parts won't go together without a good amount of work fortunately Forgeworld customer service is top notch and their sending me a replacement part. So till that arrives I'm going to have to work on the ork trukk plastic components and gretchin crew, speaking of which I was lucky in finding that commander arm as it makes the driver look bored which is only natural since an artillery tank rarely moves lol.

Here's a photo of it in progress, what do you think?

Of course the front will be a lot more armoured when completed, but to better represent the front armour value of 12 I'm also going to be adding a small ram to the front as well.
    This is superb work, but you should have used the FW halftrack bits for the rear two wheels.

--Chris
    [url]www.chrisvalera.com[/url]
    www.chrisvalera.com

Gretchin Sharp Shootaz!
    Since I had to wait a while for a replacement part for my Forgeworld trukk before I could do anymore work on my Wyvern I decided to convert my grot Ratling squad, which was a fun challenge.

The completed Wyvern conversion will be uploaded tomorrow evening and I must say it looks bad ***!

The Lobba Lorry
    Well my replacement part for the FW armoured trukk cab finally arrived so I was able to finally complete my Wyvern conversion. I added an armoured ram on the front to help represent the front armour 12 value, plus I was able to create a little turret from a fuel barrel. I love how the driver looks so fed up waiting around while the gunner has all the fun.

Now is I find myself wanting to build a 2nd one that can also be used for my Manticore with a turret swap, problem is I don't fancy buying two kits again, so I'll wait till I can find the individual Wyvern bits online before I make plans to build another one.

Game Cards
    When I was working on the Thousand Sons I created modified magic cards for their available Warlord traits, Psychic Powers and even the Weaponsmith mods. With each card numbered it was easier than needing to look them up in a rulebook as I just rolled the dice and shifted through the cards, it also helped me remember what Warlord trait was in effect and what powers needed casting.

Likewise I'm going to create some Warlord and Psychic cards for the grot rebels, with Taytonclait off Deviantart providing me with some excellent artwork for each warlord and psychic table. Of course the magic card appearance didn't suit the grots so I decided to create my own card design.

What do you think?

Last edited by Proiteus; 05-15-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast