BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Exclamation A Log Of Loyal Sorcerers & Rebellious Gretchin!

I've created several fully converted armies over the last 8 years most of which have been successful and have proven popular at tournaments, but there have been the odd failure such as my Zanatorian Machine Cult that used Tzzentch Daemon rules than the outdated Necron rules at the time which resulted in it being a confusing mess in the end.

Anyway I've decided to resist the temptation to start any new army projects and instead focus on just my two existing armies, both projects still have a great many options for expansion due to their greenskin nature or fluff.
    This is mainly due to the constant Price rises and decisions made my GW in the last year.

So I created this log to share my ideas and conversions for both armies rather than 2, but first a quick run through of the armies themselves...

PRE-HERESY THOUSAND SONS
    My last project was inspired by the Thousand Sons'artwork in the visions book then after reading their Horus Heresy novel I practically lept into creating an Pre-heresy Thousand Sons army. What also helped was that Grey Knight and Tomb Kings were released soon after which gave me everything I needed.
    I choose Grey Knights at the time for it's psychic marines and henchmen which would allow me to field the Prospero Spire Guard (since this was before allies were a thing.) I had also just finished a project with 65 infantry and 14 tanks so wanted something a little smaller.

With the terminators from the original army being banned from GW venues due to their components I began focus on the Spire Guard henchmen squads.

A year later the pre-heresy terminators were released so I converted them to match Magnus' Scarab Occult.

Since one of the Thousand Sons Fellowships used automata units I created some Legio Cybernetica units for the army to act as Dreadnought proxies.

My last creation for this army was the Dreadknight conversion modelled as a powerful Thousand Sons sorcerer and his Tutlary (a familiar) since in the novel they can tear through hold squads with a flick of the wrist.

Planned Expansions & Ideas
    • A 2nd Dreadknight: I'm eager to create a 2nd Dreadknight but with a completely different appearance to the 1st.
    • Allied Space Marine & Forgeworld units: I haven't fielded a full Astartes army since the terminators were made useless both due to the increase in AP weapons and the majority of them having 'illegal bitz'.
    • Lotus Fighters: I have a conversion idea in my head for the Prospero attack flyer just need to find a suitable unit (not a storm raven) for it to represent possibly an allied Vendetta.
    • Allied Spire Guard: Expand the spire guard from henchmen squads to a full allied guard attachment.
    • Legio Cybernetica Cohort: A recent idea I'm tempted by is turning my conqueror robots into Broadsides and fielding them as a Fire Support Attachment with a large robot for the Riptide.
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

THE GROT REBELZ
    The Grot Rebellion was my first real converted army project I did, originally created back in 2006 it was inspired by all the grot related Warhammer Monthly comics, Gretchin themed ork armies from White Dwarf and the Grot Rebelz from Gorkamorka. However back then Gretchin were metal and it would have been hard to go with a full grot army using the ork codex, so I went with the 2nd weakest warriors in the universe; Guard.

A few years ago the army got a 2nd remake that introduced a lot of vehicles 18 in total, the idea for the look of the gretchin was to make them look like the old style 'Space Orks' rather than the ramshackle orks of today to make it clearer that this was a Guard army not an ork army using looted ork vehicles.

I'm currently working on a 3rd edition of the army remodeling troops to look less like guard squads and more like warbands and mobs, armed with sub-shootaz instead of lasguns cause what greenskin would use a laser pointer plus mini rokkit launchas for grenade launchers.

New editions to the army included a Aegis defence line that was modeled to look like a fort rather than a trench/barricade.

Plus with the 'Allies' rules I gave Kolonel Grotskull a Warbot and a unit enslaved Cybork Bodyguard to represent a warboss and nob biker unit.

Currently finishing up painting the Nob Bikers so expect them to be the first new unit on this log within the next few days.

Planned Expansions & Ideas
    • For The Greater Grot: Expand on the Warbot conversion and create some Grot Battlesuit allies.
    • The Battle Bruser: Convert a Baneblade into a massive Landship similar to the grot mega tank.
    • New Guard Codex: ???

Well those are my two armies, all stuff from this point onwards will be brand spanking new and I look forward to receiving any feedback you can provide.

this is amazing work. Well done.

Firstly I would like to say wow! Not only for the conversion and paint work you are able to do with these miniatures but also the fluff you are incorporating into each miniature/unit.

Secondly could I suggest that you look to using the dark angel nephilim as the basis for your lotus fighter. It is already a stunning model with which to start with that I'm sure would take little adjustments to improve (mine has the lascannons attached to the wing tips not underslung the cockpit which makes it look more like the imperial lightning). Just a thought and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Gary

Battle-Brother

Wow! They look awesome ��
    I love the great conversion work! ��

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    Since one of the Thousand Sons Fellowships used automata units I created some Legio Cybernetica units for the army to act as Dreadnought proxies.

WOW I'm amazed at how well painted and detailed you managed to get your old Space Crusade Dreadnoughts, for a simple miniature from 1991 it still looks great today...
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    WOW I'm amazed at how well painted and detailed you managed to get your old Space Crusade Dreadnoughts, for a simple miniature from 1991 it still looks great today...
    It was not easy, it was one of the most difficult things to paint in the army.

Well it's been a busy week of painting as I've tried to get these guys ready in time to spearhead the Grot Rebelz at Warhammer World on Monday.
    As you can see there have been some changes to the models; The first being that I've mounted them on biker bases instead of round 40mm to make it perfectly clear that they are Nob Bikers, this is due to the fact their appearance can easily be mistaken for heavy infantry. The other change was the Waaagh Banner, it just didn't look right! So since I needed to fill the empty space on the bikers bases with something, I decided to have a Gretchin Waaagh Banna waver mounted in a kart so he can keep up with da botz.
    The Ork then got a Shield instead which looks a lot cooler and gives him some character. Seemed also a good idea to fill the mad dok's base with a unfortunate ork that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now just 1 more squad to do and then it's just some touch up on 4 of the tanks and some objectives, then I'll be ready for Throne Of Skulls!

Battle-Brother

Fantastic conversions and painting.
    Avon Lady and Mary Kay are Rouge Traders, R-O-U-G-E, unless you're playing a game about selling cosmetics out of a pink Cadillac, spell it R-O-G-U-E.

Both armies look great. I came for the Thousand Sons and stayed for the grots!
    My hobby blog: http://marcraleyminiatures.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast