BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I think GW dropped the ball here by releasing these guys and escalation separately. If you introduced a historically popular model (such as the baneblade along with apoc 1st ed) alongside an expansion ruleset - I think escalation would see much more acceptance if it was launched alongside this anticipated model.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Oh, God... a Finescast kit that size... it wouldn't stand. It'd collapse in on itself.
    Whats hilarious is that FW resin is just as quality-deficient as finecast and you don't hear people *****ing and moaning about it :P
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Oooh! Depending on the size of the kit, Converting one with Dreaknight to make a collasal dreadknight
    Just no.
    Bad Wolfie. BAD

NO.

Back in your box.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Whats hilarious is that FW resin is just as quality-deficient as finecast and you don't hear people *****ing and moaning about it :P
    That has not been my experience thus far, but I've only bought a couple of Forgeworld pieces.

Anyway, what I was referring to was the relative fragility of Finecast, whereas Forgeworld resin seems quite durable.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

First-Captain

That has not been my experience thus far, but I've only bought a couple of Forgeworld pieces.

Anyway, what I was referring to was the relative fragility of Finecast, whereas Forgeworld resin seems quite durable.
    yeah same experience here - ForgeWorld resin sure has its own problems, but nowhere near as bad as the early runs of Finecast (which did improve with time - maybe not to the "good" point, but at least away from "horrible")

and yeah if the model is good, I'll get one regardless of the rules - been waiting for Knights for ages...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

I've bought a lot of FW stuff, including a Chaos Reaver and all the Daemon Lords... Yes there are some casting issues (bit of filing etc needed..) and you need to pin most of the bigger pieces... but then again i pin everything including banner poles down to 0.5mm barrels on my 6mm WWII tanks.

FW quality has gotten very good recently... if you're basing your opinion on older casts like the Thunderhawk vintage stuff then ok.. it was pretty bad with lots of gaps and miss-casts... My only caveat to that is 'apparently' the Storm Eagle is not too great, with lots of gaps... a friend of mine got one and claims that; i haven't bought one so i can't offer an opinion there.

Chapter-Master

Terrible warping, terrible mold lines (I had to START with 60 grit sandpaper on my phantom's leg), terrible quality control (I've had several instances where giant drops of resin had hardened to the piece, making it unusable), broken pieces (One of my Cobras came with the front broken off the hull wing), missing pieces (Cobra was missing its main gun piece), mold release so thick on the pieces that detergent couldn't even remove it (I had to wet sand it off). Terrible vent sizes....

FW Resin melts in the heat more than any other resin I've used - even finecast. Over the years my vampire in the corner of my office has had its wings droop over 1/2"

My comments are based on about $5000 of FW purchases over time. Some kits are great when they arrive, but half have some strong quality issues. In general, the smaller kits and bits are more consistent. Things like my wraithseer and BA vehicle doors and dreadnoughts are very nice. My bigger kits are where I run into troubles. It took me a month to put together my phantom (I've got another one sitting in a box in my closet for more than a year because I'm so sick of dealing with that kit) just due to all the quality problems with the model.

People who think that FW = Quality are sorely mistaken in my experience - which is why I always giggle a bit when I see complaints about finecast.

Anyways - I'm sorry for derailing the thread.

I would have to see the price, size, and sculpt before deciding to pick one of these up. I have a Dreamforge Leviathan already and if this is similar I would just as soon buy different arms for that instead..

Anyways - I'm sorry for derailing the thread.
    NEVER be sorry for derailing threads
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    NEVER be sorry for derailing threads
    I have a guilty conscious sir.

Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast