BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default How bad are tyranids?

Buying a large tyranid army in 2 weeks and wondering how bad are they actually? I've heard a lot and a lot of people saying they suck. So how bad? For example, would playing 1500 PTs of a army vs 1500 nidz plus give them 100 more points to use make the matchs balanced?

They're not nearly as bad as everyone was saying at first and now that the codex has been out a month, people are figuring out how to play with it. If you like Nids, then use nids, they're cool, you'll enjoy them

They're fine. They have a problem against Eldar, and everyone was jumping on the "but Eldar give them a problem" bandwagon, ignoring that Eldar looks to be the top Codex now. And with an especially good concept matchup against Nids (fast, Mechanized firepower army). And even against Eldar, it's not hopeless, just a tough matchup. Against everyone else, they should be fine.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by knighter View Post
    Buying a large tyranid army in 2 weeks and wondering how bad are they actually? I've heard a lot and a lot of people saying they suck. So how bad? For example, would playing 1500 PTs of a army vs 1500 nidz plus give them 100 more points to use make the matchs balanced?
    They aren't bad at all, you just have to watch out for a bunch of units that aren't going to cut it in competitive games - which is what every codex has to deal with. The issues people have are more to do with lack of options that every other army gets, i.e. Allies, rulebook psychic powers, transports (Mycetic Spore removed), etc.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chaplain

Depends what they are playing against, against Eldar or Shooting armies with good LoS, they suffer. Their codex lacked for content overall, but they have enough options to challenge a baseline army like Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines if played well.

Since most 6th edition armies to date can cherry pick the effective units to use as allies and Tyranids can't this leads to issues w/ Tyranids being at all competitive but for fun or narrative play they are just fine.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

no this is probably the worst book GW has ever written, I did ask a while ago if anyone could name one they think was worse (as an overall product) and no one really did.

Still if you like nids thats no reason not to get involved in them, just accept that your already handy capping yourself and its only going to get worse.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

usually the people who say they suck either don't know how to play and field them or cant beat them in games

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Maskedaxe View Post
    usually the people who say they suck either don't know how to play and field them or cant beat them in games
    Truth. But then again, EVERY CODEX SUCKS for the first month or so after release. just listen to the internets. CSM has some gaping holes compared to other dexes.. mostly in the realm of options for fluffy armies.

Nids isn't a bad dex.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Can I play too?

The only people that think tyranids are good are those that don't understand target priority and aren't very good

was that right? YAY INTERNET COUNTER CULTURE
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

if this is true why do I win so many games with nids? plus you are basically repeating what I just said but in more detail. obviously you might be one of those people

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast