BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default which forgeworld masterclass book

greetings fellow hobbyists and bolsters im hoping some one out there can help me with a question i have regarding the forgeworld master class books .

my question is which one to get. they both look good to me but from what i can see they both appear to have a lot about how to use airbrushes and techniques for the air brush. as my hobby space is a small corner of my computer desk in the living room i doubt i will ever have the opportunity to use an air brush. so i dont want to buy a book of painting tips only to have most of it be of no use to me , especially as its a big ( almost all ) of my hobby budget for the next month.

any and all help reviews opinions and ideas will be appreciated.

many thanks

Brother-Captain

very little of the books is dedicated to airbrush techniques. I just got 2, and find both to be great. I dont get a lot of time to work on hobby stuff, but these are going to make me get more bang out of my time.

thanks thats a relief could you recomend wich of the two books you get the most use out of . i understand differnt people prefer difernt styles and technigues but any info you can give would be helpfull before i splurge on a new painting rescource.

The first has better and more in-depth painting tutorials, though nothing you can't really research on coolminiornot.com. Be warned, a lot of it is for airbrushing, so if you don't intend to airbrush, about half of the advice will be useless.

The second has some nice weathering tutorials, but only about a third the content of the first book.

I don't know if I'd call either a 'masterclass'; don't get me wrong, I do like them, and did enjoy them, but there's not as much here for the non-airbrusher. Also, the vast, vast majority of their guidance is for weathering, converting, and airbrushing tanks, so if you're not a treadhead, there really will be very little of use here.

Overall, I would recommend the first book above the second. It has far more content; the second is really just a collection of photographs of very nicely painted tanks with a few pieces of advice dotted throughout.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

thanks mr necromancer that helps me a great deal im in the process of re building my eldar army after a long break ( i went and played confrontation such beautiful minis and great rules shame it died such a painful death )
    so i see a wraithknight and maybe some tanky type vehicles in the future and one of the new imperial knights once i have saved up enough. my skills arnt great but my nmm is ok to good my source lighting and sheer clothing about the same ( though im a little out of practice and its taking a while to get my eye back ) . but chipping weathering using powders etc . i really need to develop so the first book will be the one i get . many thanks for your help in this .

Chapter-Master

I must respectfully agree more with the first poster than Mr Necromancer - I have both, did not notice large amounts of airbrush technique and did actually find the tips to be at the higher end of skill sets, whils tbeing easy to use in the main.

One issue you may have is that Vol 1. Still has the old citadel paints in so all the old names etc - this means you cannot just pick up the exact products and follow along.

One of the 2, possibly the scond, seems to go from generic colours into the new names halfway through.

Both well worth a look.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

thanks thats helpfull i use vallejo paints anyway so color names isnt a huge issue its more about techniques so which book shows you the most tricks and tips .

Chapter-Master

I got more out of Vol 1.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

then 1 it is many thanks to every one who took the time to answer my questions