BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You will meet at least one person who seemingly thinks showering is an optional activity, and there will be at least 3 Fedoras.

Oh, and there is a possibility you'll also get the chance to play, and defeat another player, who then goes off on one blaming everything from his weak codex, underperforming dice*, your codex being blatantly OP, your cheating during the game**, the TO being biased, the sun being too high, the moon not being in the correct alignment with Uranus (stop snickering up the back), the fact that 12 years ago they stubbed their toe on next doors couch, in fact, anything at all except their own decision making progress, because it's frankly inconceivable anyone could ever outmatch them in tactical nous and that.

*This can be genuine, but it's easy to spot when the dice hate someone

**Even when you clearly didn't cheat

Though this only happens if you're unlucky. Don't let it spoil your overall impression of tournaments. And I say that despite being one who doesn't enjoy tournaments!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    The third guy is where you go the the TO and tell them 'go do your job'.

Also, none of the wargear on a Dreadknight is mutually exclusive. You can take all the shooting upgrades, and still take the nasty combat upgrades. Doesn't change the fact that the Dreadknight is massively overpriced, though.
    It was my friend who faced him, and he rather felt that it would have been a bit hypocritical as he had a completely grey plastic army (in his defence, he had been busy painting a lot of scenery for the tournament to use and cooking the lunch - he was going to use these to contest the 5pt deduction for having an unpainted army until he became bemused with just how much his chosen list for 'Nids didn't work in 6th Ed. and was happy to end the tournament on a negative score).

In previous editions he had been a very strong player, but hasn't played much of 6th seriously. The comments on the dread knight came from him and he may have been outdated/incorrect in his info. It wasn't something I had experience of either. However, Darklink is correct. If you come up against something like that, and the guy doesn't even have an army list, by all means call over a judge. You might feel like you're being an arse, however chances are you'll be saving others!

Could be the Dreadknight just happend to have the most appropriate dakka for the target.

Oh look! Daemons! EAT GATLING PSILENCER!

Uh oh! Orks this time! GO GO GADGET FLAMEY WEAPON THING THAT'S PROPER NAME I CAN'T QUITE REMEMBER!

Hmm. Big unit of stuff. Guess what! IT'S NOW A HEAVY PSYCANNON! BOOM!

Seen that a few times (just like the former 'joy' of jumping dispel scrolls in Warhammer. Whichever Wizard you slotted first, just happened to be the one who had used up all his scrolls!)
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Sergeant

- Most importantly - Have fun. If a total noob like me can turn up and somehow manage to end up in a ranked position, then there's no need to be beardy/arsey with people taking it too seriously.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tom for the reply, well done on the wins.

I don't get pissey with people when i play (unless it's my brother) so that won't be a problem.

Tom, did you find yourself having to use the TO for rules checks at all?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by TauBoss View Post

Thanks Tom for the reply, well done on the wins.

I don't get pissey with people when i play (unless it's my brother) so that won't be a problem.

Tom, did you find yourself having to use the TO for rules checks at all?

Not for rules checks per se.

We had little scoring sheets that both players would fill in (as a double check) at the end of each game. Columns were 'Game Points' (not the same as Victory points... just 4 for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a lose). Slay the Warlord (yes/no 1/0), First Blood (also 1/0), and Line Breaker. After that was a "Points total" column that wasn't very clear whether it was how much the opponent had left or how much they'd killed of yours so we had to query that.

In the games I didn't come across anything that seemed unfair, or to query, with the TO. We had a discussion between players in the 3rd game where the demon prince was charging my Wraithknight who was in the middle of a wood as to whether the Demon Prince would be at Ini-step1 with charging through cover. (Move Through Cover doesn't say anything about it). We decided he would be, but it was irrelevant anyway as the Wraithknight killed him on overwatch.

Oh, also in that 3rd game... the TO was already standing next to the table at the end as the last guy on the table died. I would have been unclear on what that counted as, VP wise. I mean, it was turn3, so potentially I could have got line breaker unimpeded, and snagged all of the objective markers too unimpeded. However, the TO's view was that I should have not been so quick to wipe my opponent, and that I only got the objective that I was holding.
    Last edited by -Tom-; 02-19-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Some not so obvious advice

Comfy foot ware your are going to be on your feet all day.
    Tea tray ( warhammer world provides) you don't want to be packing your miniatures back in your case.
    Aspirin a tournie is a marathon not a sprint and if you have been drinking with mates on day one vital.

Dave l
    Davel miniature painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelminiturepainter/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by TauBoss View Post
    -
    Well if you didn't constantly cheat, lie about dice rolls, make up rules and kick kittens maybe your brother (who sounds awsome by the way) would not have to mock your utterly lack luster attempts to beat his totally awsome and amazing Blood Angels army and you'd get less 'pissy' with him!

Chaplain

Just did a tournament today, my first one in two years and had a ball. With rule checks I did the ones I was unsure of before the game, had em written down to remember. Then during the games, as one of the lads said, time was of the essence and if we could not find the rule we were unsure of in the book quick enough we rolled off on a dice, 1-3 yes 4-6 no for that game. Ended up writing a few more questions down for the next time. Got incredibly hungry and thirsty playing also. Results were a major victory, got tabled and a minor defeat, basically lost out on secondary objectives. It was a 750 point tourny and we still only got 4 turns in for the most part. But I seem to have been lucky, the lads I played with wanted to have fun and the 3rd game I came back from the dead to nearly snatch it. Always good to have a bit of suspense to the wire.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Bob821 View Post
    Well if you didn't constantly cheat, lie about dice rolls, make up rules and kick kittens maybe your brother (who sounds awsome by the way) would not have to mock your utterly lack luster attempts to beat his totally awsome and amazing Blood Angels army and you'd get less 'pissy' with him!

shhhh boy or ill tell mum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12