BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Talking Hello, first post and i would like to get involed with 40k mainly with SM or elder

i would like to get involved with the game. i am familiar with the lore, and have played space hulk, dawn of war and space marine.
    and this is what i have been thinking of army with what i feel is right with me.
    1x fellblade (because i can)
    1x sicaran
    2x predators
    2x razor backs
    3x rhinos
    1xspartan/landraider
    1-2x stormtalon
    1xstorm eagle
    2xdreadnaughts
    infantry wise i want to stay mobile mainly with assault marines either to rush or, used to hammer while i a bring up a rhino or razorback filled with a devastator or tactical squad to be the anvil. what would be the best army to use for this. and i am mainly looking for a chapter like salamanders who somewhat respect for life, or like the blood raven who are looking for some secret, or a chapter that is seeking redemption in a noble way. which given this game would be hard to come by. has for a elder army the criteria hasnt changed and i would like the army to atleast include some grimreapers.

second -can i mount turrets on vehicles, like lets say a baal predator and swipe it out real quick to make it a destructor?

third- and i cant paint to save my life but wouldnt mine having them commissioned.. what is the dangers and what should i prepare for and cost wise

thank you for your time. -H

Veteran-Sergeant

With that much armor, I'd think a "beat your face" army would be your play style!

I would suggest allying a tank chapter with a mobile jump infantry one:

Armor chapters: Sons of Medusa, Iron Hands(?), Minotaurs

Jump infantry chapter: Blood Angels, Raven Guard, Raptors

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure doing a bit more research will give more options.

Can't help with the other questions though, good luck, and welcome!

Occuli Imperator

2nd - Yes, you can. Magnets help make quick swaps. There are various tutorials around for how to do it.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

i do like the beat your face army, i prefer the hammer on the anvil approach. not a big fan of the minotaurs, and if my little brother finds out i went with the ironhands or imperial fists i might have a heresy on my hands lol. what about the red scorpions or the Charnel Guard for armor. i wouldn't mind the raptors, or the blood angels. are the Carcharodons blood ravens or the legion of the damned in the game. how are the space wolf for what i am looking for. and thank you wolfshade

Battle-Brother

Well you could go with the Eldar, I mean they have a lot of fast moving vehicles and troops a lot squisher than the space marine counterparts, but they can be a lot of fun. Of course there are a lot more people out there with more experience in Eldar than I but be sure to give them a good look. Good luck and happy painting lol

Daemon-Prince

Go Chaos Marines they get all the toys loyalists do (more or less....) & allow you to customize your models all you want
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Quote Originally Posted by h pidy View Post
    i would like to get involved with the game. i am familiar with the lore, and have played space hulk, dawn of war and space marine.
    and this is what i have been thinking of army with what i feel is right with me.
    1x fellblade (because i can)
    1x sicaran
    2x predators
    2x razor backs
    3x rhinos
    1xspartan/landraider
    1-2x stormtalon
    1xstorm eagle
    2xdreadnaughts
    infantry wise i want to stay mobile mainly with assault marines either to rush or, used to hammer while i a bring up a rhino or razorback filled with a devastator or tactical squad to be the anvil. what would be the best army to use for this. and i am mainly looking for a chapter like salamanders who somewhat respect for life, or like the blood raven who are looking for some secret, or a chapter that is seeking redemption in a noble way. which given this game would be hard to come by. has for a elder army the criteria hasnt changed and i would like the army to atleast include some grimreapers.

second -can i mount turrets on vehicles, like lets say a baal predator and swipe it out real quick to make it a destructor?

third- and i cant paint to save my life but wouldnt mine having them commissioned.. what is the dangers and what should i prepare for and cost wise

thank you for your time. -H
    It sounds like you already have your heart set on space marines, so just go for that.

As far as which faction, buy the space marine codex, then figure out from there which faction best fits you. For now i would stay away from dark angels and blood angels.

As stated already you can swap with magnets.

As far as commissioned work goes, expect to pay double retail.Might i suggest, it sounds like you have the income, do research on ebay and buy someones complete army.You can usually get a good deal if you take your time (4 weeks of looking,although be aware most auctions last a week so i mean 4 weeks of looking, not 4 weeks on the same sale)

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Go Chaos Marines they get all the toys loyalists do (more or less....) & allow you to customize your models all you want
    i am going full alpha legion when i am ready.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBo View Post
    It sounds like you already have your heart set on space marines, so just go for that.

As far as which faction, buy the space marine codex, then figure out from there which faction best fits you. For now i would stay away from dark angels and blood angels.

As stated already you can swap with magnets.

As far as commissioned work goes, expect to pay double retail.Might i suggest, it sounds like you have the income, do research on ebay and buy someones complete army.You can usually get a good deal if you take your time (4 weeks of looking,although be aware most auctions last a week so i mean 4 weeks of looking, not 4 weeks on the same sale)
    didnt think about that way that is the reason why i was looking at the blood angles so much ebay was culk full of blood angle pieces

Quote Originally Posted by h pidy View Post
    i am going full alpha legion when i am ready.

didnt think about that way that is the reason why i was looking at the blood angles so much ebay was culk full of blood angle pieces
    If you like Blood Angels then by all means get em, but be aware there are limitations to them,the main one being they don't have chapter tactics (That I am aware of, i don't play them).There are plenty of posts and blogs for BA that explain them better than I could.

Edit; Also Forgot to mention Blood Angels and Dark Angels Have their own codexs, without the need of the space marine codex.The DA codex was one of the first produced for 6th edition,thus many people consider it sub-standard, The BA codex was made for 5th edition in hardback, but the digital was supposedly updated.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by MrBo; 02-26-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Chaplain

You're obviously an SM player and they allow all the armour in the world. But beware, the list needs a little balance. You need those scoring units to pick up objectives. And armour costs a lot in points which can be really disappointing when one of my fiendish Eldar sneaks up and melts you with a fusion gun. For every two land raiders you field I can put 5 Storm Guardian units on the table capable of melting them down. Well 4 if I give each unit two fusion guns each and share some extra bodies around to make up the points.

As for painting, I know what you mean when you see some of the killer paint jobs out there. But you don't have to be brilliant. Buy a bog standard Rhino, undercoat in black and then talk to the lad in the GW store about how to paint. You can sit in and they'll keep an eye on you. If you don't like doing it, 'nuff said. If you do you'll get more satisfaction for painting them yourself and it'll be a dam sight cheaper.