BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Did we ever have 40K balance issues back in the day?

Just mulling over SH and some of the big stuff and then, remembering the retro thread, the thought ocurred to me - did we have balance issues way back when?

More specifically, remember the old targetting template editions? Well we had a scratchbuilt Baneblade in White Dwarf - that was clearly 40K approved. Our US brethren had ready access to Armorcast.

Did people think these were over/under costed? OP or not?

You could design something of almost limitless points using the old 3rd/4th ed VDR in Chapter Approved - was that too much?

I just wonder if the complaints about SH are purely a modern phenomena or if there have always been OTT stuff?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Tyranids were overpowered as heck in 2nd Edition, and it was full of wacky randomness from Vortex grenades to the dreaded virus outbreak strategy card.

2nd ed. was a massive cluster**** of balance issues where if you played Eldar, you pretty much won by default, unless the other guy put down a SW terminator list with cyclone launchers and some assault cannons.

2nd Ed was my first proper edition (had RT, never really played it).

2nd Ed was not in the least bit balanced I'm afraid.

Was still fun though!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Iron Father

4th was when I started. I could be wrong but it felt the most balanced of what's come after. Not just the various armies but internally in the rules too.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

We didn't care about the lack of balance back in second because we were having more fun...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

3rd Ed was terribad for balance.

Codex Blood Angels and the 42" charge of RAGE, on the first turn anyone? Not to mention then just piling into combat after combat, because you're such a tactical genius?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Balance and fun just don't go hand in hand

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    We didn't care about the lack of balance back in second because we were having more fun...
    I am undecided as to whether all my 2ed reminisces are rose tinted glasses or not.

I remember one game using the WD rules for Gotrek and Felix, adding them into a Squat and IG mix army, because the fantasy profiles were interchangeable...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

That's a fair point.

For me, 2nd Ed and Titan Legions era are my golden times, due to my age, and the amount of gaming I got in.

Shortly after, job. Low pay, long hours, crappy conditions, all impacted on hobby enjoyment, all kicking off at the same time 3rd Ed came out. So it's hard to say for certain whether 2nd Ed really was as acecakes as I recall, or if it's perspective.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast